Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #76
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Something else to keep in mind...the wheels. The older wheels with less holes around the perimeter were recalled by Ford due to cracking, however, this was done based on VIN, as the wheels have no serial numbers to track. The later wheels, with more vent holes around the perimeter of the wheel face, were not part of the recall, if I remember correctly. Departments with large fleets often interchanged wheels from car to car, so there was no means of knowing for sure which wheels were affected by the recall and which weren't. This only applied to the Pursuit rims with the small center caps. The traditional wheels with full wheel covers, like on most detective's cars, were not affected.

My '05 had a set of the bad wheels, even though by VIN, they had already been replaced. I found out when I had a chronic flat tire with no puncture. Once the tire was dismounted, there was a large, visible crack near the bead lip.

-Joe
I've had one of my standard full cover steel wheels develop cracks where the center is welded to the rim. Rock auto has replacements.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #77
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

Not if you're black. Certainly what you say has NOT been my experience.
I'm white and I've only gotten a warning once in my 43-year life. It was when I was riding with JimVonBaden. Must have been his good looks and/or charm. I have received a ticket every other time I've been pulled over.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #78
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I saw a decommissioned one of these today:

I wondered to myself what kind of unreliable POS that was?
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #79
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
Good post, enlightening, but this part...

I call bullshit. If an officer already has it out for you based on some kind of prejudice, there's no way roadside lawyering would ever help make that kind of situation better. Even in the unlikely event the facts giving rise to the violation allow for interpretation, wouldn't a cop rather maintain his dignity, give you a ticket, and force you to plead your case in court? I can't believe a cop who'd already gone to the trouble of pulling you over and who already had some kind of prejudicial animosity toward your ethnicity would stand there and allow himself to be so pedantically corrected.

"Sir, I pulled you over because my radar gun said you were 10 over the limit, but your awesome knowledge of the traffic code totally nullifies my reasoning...have a nice day"
I didn't say it worked all the time. I did state that I got pulled over many times and never just got a warning. I did actually get the tickets most times, contested them, and won, but not every time. Just a fantastic waste of my time to get a ticket for non registration when the registration fee has been paid and the only thing lacking is a valid smog certificate. And I had the failed smog certificate in the car together with the documentation showing that a vehicle that is in the process of being registered is legal to drive on the roads.

Often I got the ticket for something else completely bogus like "you were going 5 over the limit." Quite often I was; i don't speed more than 5 mph on cuty streets, certainly not in school zones, and i try to keep it to within 10 of the limit on freeways.

Quote:
Don't know if that is a City thing or a regional thing you've got going on there. I can honestly say that I have never written a citation or made an arrest based on someone's ethinicity, nor do I condone such action. Experiences such as yours give all in my profession a black-eye, deserved or not. The area where I work is mostly white and hispanic, maybe 1 percent black. As far as trouble makers are concerned, it seems to fall accordingly, white most, then hispanic, and least of all black. Skin color has nothing to do with the stats here, just sheer numbers. I feel sorry for you to live where you do.

-Joe
I'm sorry if I misled you into thinking that I got a ticket simply because I am black. I did not intend to do that. My intention was simply to relate my experience of NOT getting a simple warning where my white, asian and latino friends recieved warnings. Nor did I mean to imply that they themselves did not get tickets, simply that at least they sometimes got warnings where I never had that experience.

In fact, I remember getting stopped for an expired tag. It had actually been stolen and I had only become aware of it a few days before. She (CHP) walks up to my car and asks me if if I knew why she had pulled me over. Of course I knew, and I had the rego, ins and license ready. I said "yes ma'am, I think for my registration, but as you can see here is my valid registration, i have my license and insurance here for you as well. I think someone stole the tag." Or words to that effect.

Her words to me? "What's with the attitude?" Here I was, thinking I was being helpful by having all my documents ready. Yes, I got the ticket. $10 fix it ticket after paying for a replacement sticker at DMV. I've learned to feign ignorance at the stops, just take the ticket, and plead my case in front of the judge. Let's just say I have a good conversion ratio with the judges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
thank you for that post. I mean that in all sincerity.

Being the silly white boy I am, I thought Ubuntu was an operating system. Now I feel more enlightened.
Ubuntu is not unique to South/ Southern Africa. It's actually prevalent throughout Africa and is also practised by a lot of the so called "backwards civilisations" especially in societies that rely on the the earth/ subsistence/ agrarian cultures. Amazonian Indians and the like....

Back to the police cars. I am surprised that the thrifty, torque rich properties of the diesel motors have not been embraced yet; especially by the state/ highway agencies.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #80
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

I'm sorry if I misled you into thinking that I got a ticket simply because I am black. I did not intend to do that. My intention was simply to relate my experience of NOT getting a simple warning where my white, asian and latino friends recieved warnings. Nor did I mean to imply that they themselves did not get tickets, simply that at least they sometimes got warnings where I never had that experience.

In fact, I remember getting stopped for an expired tag. It had actually been stolen and I had only become aware of it a few days before. She (CHP) walks up to my car and asks me if if I knew why she had pulled me over. Of course I knew, and I had the rego, ins and license ready. I said "yes ma'am, I think for my registration, but as you can see here is my valid registration, i have my license and insurance here for you as well. I think someone stole the tag." Or words to that effect.

Her words to me? "What's with the attitude?" Here I was, thinking I was being helpful by having all my documents ready. Yes, I got the ticket. $10 fix it ticket after paying for a replacement sticker at DMV. I've learned to feign ignorance at the stops, just take the ticket, and plead my case in front of the judge. Let's just say I have a good conversion ratio with the judges.

Back to the police cars. I am surprised that the thrifty, torque rich properties of the diesel motors have not been embraced yet; especially by the state/ highway agencies.
Please don't think I am trying to make excuses for the officers you have experienced. They did what they did, right or wrong. I wasn't there, so it would not be fair for me to judge either side. That being said, what you described above sounds like a very straight forward and polite approach. Sadly, your helpfulness may have been perceived as coming off as a smart-ass, even though you honestly had no intent to do so. Still a $10 fix-it ticket ranks right up there with a written warning. Around here, an expired tag violation runs $149 or more, and if the tag goes out over 90 days, State law requires the vehicle be impounded. More often than not, I write warnings for the tags, as I would rather the driver spend the money to get the tag up to date than pay for a ticket, but that's just me I guess. Fix-it tickets here require a court appearance, but usually no cost if the repair has been made. Buy statute, they are required to be dismissed with satisfactory repairs. And obviously, I did misunderstand the intent of your original statement.

The Ubuntu culture is probably perceived as being a wise-ass by some who obviously don't understand and a lot of LEOs tend to be all business. This may be where the culture clashes.

As far as diesels go, the diesel engine was one of the biggest selling points for the Carbon Motors offering into police package vehicles. American culture just has never responded warmly to diesel power. The first non-commercial products from GM were very underpowered and short lived. The 5.7L was originally a gas motor converted to diesel and was known to have timing gear failures around 50k miles. The later 6.2L didn't offer much improvement in power and maintenance from qualified professionals was lacking. When compared to the big V8s of the day, nobody in their right mind would consider a diesel. Modern diesels are much different and would make good platforms, but the buying public still remembers the late 70s and early 80s anytime "diesel" is mentioned. Again, cultural backlash.

And, someone mentioned the Dodge Monaco as the Blues Mobile. I was mistaken with the Polara.

440 mill that will pass anything but a gas station.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe

Purcell69 screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 07:19 PM
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #81
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
The Dodge could also have been a St. Regis

discochris screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:05 PM
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #82
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER View Post
Good information. I'm looking at 03'+ models. I've seen some 05'-07' models with low mileage (100k) and am aiming for something in that range. I want a black and white to be specific, black ends, white middle.
Here's one to feed your fetish...and it's an '05.

These wheels are the ones I was talking about. The recalled wheels, I believe, only had 8 holes or so around the perimeter. I'll have to check what I have in the barn. I got a bunch of them for scrap.

We're not far from Tinker AFB, but we got the Hummer through the MO National Guard. We purchased it for $800 and it is ours to use as long as we want. The only condition is that if we decide we no longer want it, the Hummer, and all the equipment that came with it, must go back to the DOD.

-Joe

Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #83
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good one Purcell! I'll keep the wheel issue in mind while hunting for one. The ones on the pictured car are the pursuit wheels?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #84
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER View Post
Good one Purcell! I'll keep the wheel issue in mind while hunting for one. The ones on the pictured car are the pursuit wheels?
Yes, the pursuit wheels have the little dog dish hubcaps that only cover the lug nuts. They won't normally take a full-sized wheel cover, as there isn't a lip to hold one at the outside edge of the rim.

The standard wheels have a little more of a dish to them with about a 1" deep lip the the clips of the full-sized hubcap can settle into.

-Joe

Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #85
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
I've been meaning to go check this local "Cop Car" dealer out.
http://coltcopcars.com/

You could at least use them for gauging the Going Market Retail pricing if you don't want to come this far south to buy. You'll have to call for price on most of them, because only the high-mileage "cheapies" have prices posted.

I have owned mostly full-size cars (I'm 6'7"). Right now I drive a '93 Roadmaster. Great car! Just a Caprice w/ a Buick skin and softer suspension. Thinking about grabbing another Caprice or Crown Vic before they're all gone.

And let me add the usual disclaimer about buying from auction.
You better be a Good Gearhead to be able to go over a car and get the Vibe off of it... without even being able to test-drive it!

One good hint for auctions;
Most of the buyers at auction are buying to re-sell, and care more about LOOKS than anything else. Easier to get the winning bid on the scruffy but well-maintained one than the shiny one that never even had an oil change.

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #86
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Yes, the pursuit wheels have the little dog dish hubcaps that only cover the lug nuts. They won't normally take a full-sized wheel cover, as there isn't a lip to hold one at the outside edge of the rim.

The standard wheels have a little more of a dish to them with about a 1" deep lip the the clips of the full-sized hubcap can settle into.

-Joe
Actually, those look like the wheels I have with full covers on my 03, the covers actually attach to the lug nuts (which have threads on the outside), so no lip is needed.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #87
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim View Post
Actually, those look like the wheels I have with full covers on my 03, the covers actually attach to the lug nuts (which have threads on the outside), so no lip is needed.
You're right! I forgot about those type of wheel covers, even though we still have one in the parking lot like that.

-Joe

Old 12-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #88
elzebub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116

Alabama State Police, 1971.
Each '71 Javelin was a base-model wearing 'Machine' 5-slot mag wheels with Good Year Polyglas raised-white-lettered tires. They were powered by a special 'fleet service' version of AMC's new 401cid 4-barrel V8 engine, backed by a Borg-Warner automatic transmission. Other 'fleet service' items were underneath, like brake and suspension components. Each also received a full 'Rally' gauge package, including tachometer and 140mph speedometer

elzebub screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 01:32 PM
elzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #89
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzebub View Post

Alabama State Police, 1971.
Each '71 Javelin was a base-model wearing 'Machine' 5-slot mag wheels with Good Year Polyglas raised-white-lettered tires. They were powered by a special 'fleet service' version of AMC's new 401cid 4-barrel V8 engine, backed by a Borg-Warner automatic transmission. Other 'fleet service' items were underneath, like brake and suspension components. Each also received a full 'Rally' gauge package, including tachometer and 140mph speedometer
I'd probably give one of my balls for that car!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #90
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post

And let me add the usual disclaimer about buying from auction.
You better be a Good Gearhead to be able to go over a car and get the Vibe off of it... without even being able to test-drive it!

One good hint for auctions;
Most of the buyers at auction are buying to re-sell, and care more about LOOKS than anything else. Easier to get the winning bid on the scruffy but well-maintained one than the shiny one that never even had an oil change.

Otis

Ours are over maintained and usually have thousands of dollars worth of fresh repairs done to them right before they get dumped.

Don't buy this one.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: