ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #106
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER View Post
I saw a decommissioned one of these today:


I wondered to myself what kind of unreliable POS that was?
I thought the same thing myself. In 2001, the wife had to have one. It was reasonably priced, at $17,000 new out the door, so I gave it a shot. Ten years later it had 180K miles on and had been the most reliable car we ever owned. In ten years it needed a starter and a water pump, and that's it. We sold it to our repair shop for use as a daily loaner. They have taken it past 200K and it still runs great. Not sure if we just got extrordinarily lucky, or if the obsessive maintenance made the difference, but it was a great car.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #107
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
I thought the same thing myself. In 2001, the wife had to have one. It was reasonably priced, at $17,000 new out the door, so I gave it a shot. Ten years later it had 180K miles on and had been the most reliable car we ever owned. In ten years it needed a starter and a water pump, and that's it. We sold it to our repair shop for use as a daily loaner. They have taken it past 200K and it still runs great. Not sure if we just got extrordinarily lucky, or if the obsessive maintenance made the difference, but it was a great car.
Just don't change the battery....what kind of idiot came up with that.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #108
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
[QUOTE=jackd;17511424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Ferrari engine

I'm amazed in these days of austerity measures that a very prominent official would chose to have such an item purchased for his personal use.
Sickening. However, given there are 2 Masserattis next to it, it looks to me like it might just be a promo thing and not actually the chief's car....Corruption among cops...whodaguessedit
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #109
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,309
[QUOTE=jackd;17511424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Ferrari engine

I'm amazed in these days of austerity measures that a very prominent official would chose to have such an item purchased for his personal use.
Great point, even if they can afford them or were given them. Here in Albuquerque the local PBS station needed new production vehicles about 5 years ago and they ended up with Hummer H2s. Everyone who worked there and a bunch of others pitched a fit because they were such gas hogs and so pretentious looking. And it being a PBS station, the public figured they were squandering the pledge money. It turned out the 4 H2s were donated, but that didn't matter. Preception is a mighty thing. Of course they kept them, they just took off all the KNME TV stickers.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #110
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Just don't change the battery....what kind of idiot came up with that.
Probably a VW engineer, fired for his inability to design to their minimum stupidity level. After owning the Intepid for seven years, or so, I decide to proactively change the battery, so as not to leave the dear wifey stranded somewhere in the wilds. Well. wasn't that fucking entertaining, eh? Jack right front of car, remove RF rim, remove fender liner, slide battery out of hidden compartment. Since Murphy's law is a guiding force in my life, the new battery died a few weeks later. No good deed ever goes unpunished.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #111
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
STROMVADER's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
Probably a VW engineer, fired for his inability to design to their minimum stupidity level. After owning the Intepid for seven years, or so, I decide to proactively change the battery, so as not to leave the dear wifey stranded somewhere in the wilds. Well. wasn't that fucking entertaining, eh? Jack right front of car, remove RF rim, remove fender liner, slide battery out of hidden compartment. Since Murphy's law is a guiding force in my life, the new battery died a few weeks later. No good deed ever goes unpunished.
LOL That sucks. I had no idea how buried the battery is on those things. I think you have to pull the motor on a Porsche Boxer to change the plugs (mid engine). That's some BS there as well. I must say the Intrepid PI looked cool, for, well an Intrepid.
__________________
You only LIVE once. Make it COUNT.
F*CK CANCER
Godspeed Dad! RIP 1944-2010
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #112
jtb
Beastly Adventurer
 
jtb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Hawkesbury NSW Australia
Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Geeze! What do you Aussies have in those cars for a radio??? Something in the 160m band! Look at that antenna!
I assume the antenna you're refering to is the one on the boot (trunk I think you lot call it ). If so it's for the MDT (mobile data terminal), the one on the light bar is for the Police UHF radio (used in metro Sydney), the other antenna on the boot is for the VHF (used in country areas).

Don't know anything more techo than that I'm afraid.

Unmarked Falcon Typhoon


Front view
__________________
"Motorcyclist are always going to be frowned a pond..." an inmate in the AUS group

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014

jtb screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 02:59 PM
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #113
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
STROMVADER's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Oddometer: 2,100
Holden makes nice cars. Too bad we can't get them over here, especially the Ute.

__________________
You only LIVE once. Make it COUNT.
F*CK CANCER
Godspeed Dad! RIP 1944-2010
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #114
discochris
Beastly Adventurer
 
discochris's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
I thought the same thing myself. In 2001, the wife had to have one. It was reasonably priced, at $17,000 new out the door, so I gave it a shot. Ten years later it had 180K miles on and had been the most reliable car we ever owned. In ten years it needed a starter and a water pump, and that's it. We sold it to our repair shop for use as a daily loaner. They have taken it past 200K and it still runs great. Not sure if we just got extrordinarily lucky, or if the obsessive maintenance made the difference, but it was a great car.
You got lucky. We had one in 2000 or so. Bought it brand new. Pretty much everything started to shit the bed around 85,000 miles. Got rid of it at 105,000. It was my wife's car, and I never really liked it. It had the worst brakes of any car I've ever driven, with the exception of my 66 pickup.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #115
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER View Post
Holden makes nice cars. Too bad we can't get them over here, especially the Ute.

Personally I think they could not build those fast enough if it was over here....another example of GM being stupid.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #116
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,605
And then you can also get things like this...when people decide to go play with a new toy.

__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #117
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
STROMVADER's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
And then you can also get things like this...when people decide to go play with a new toy.

Raptor PI?
__________________
You only LIVE once. Make it COUNT.
F*CK CANCER
Godspeed Dad! RIP 1944-2010
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #118
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist
 
Dilligaf0220's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Armpit Of Canuckistan
Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
And then you can also get things like this...when people decide to go play with a new toy.

And I'll raise you a trailer. Really there's a trailer down there somewhere.




Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #119
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Personally I think they could not build those fast enough if it was over here....another example of GM being stupid.
+1
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #120
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata
 
Poacher Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: White Mts. NH
Oddometer: 2,139


You down wid OPP?







Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014