User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,168
Low seat AND good ground clearence?

Yes, I have seen the threads in Thumpers and Road Warriors asking advice for the inseam challenged, but thumpers aren't great touring mounts and the lowered Tiger 800 "roadie" she's riding now don't have the ground clearance to keep up with my lard-ass (on the equally large R12GS) on the dirt.

Is there ANYTHING that can cruise all day at 80mph+ and venture off the beaten path?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
how low does it need to be ie in side leg in inches then we can work out a bike.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
And how far off the beaten path? A well graded dirt/gravel road or something more interesting?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
how low does it need to be ie in side leg in inches then we can work out a bike.
her Tiger has a 30.5 inch seat height and she's comfortable with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLee666 View Post
And how far off the beaten path? A well graded dirt/gravel road or something more interesting?
A little more interesting. Her Tiger 800 is fine for the well groomed stuff. It's only where ground clearence becomes an issue and the bike bottoms out that's a problem, where suspension and ground clearence can't take a big hit.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
You've described a false choice.

We've discussed this on other "inseam challenged" threads.

The only solution is increased rider skill. You need the ground clearance and the suspension travel. Start with a small bike and build your skills. You don't need to more than tip-toe at slow speed. If you can't do even that, you need a smaller, lighter DIRT bike.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

I agree, to a point, and I'm actually considering raising my GS; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
You've described a false choice.

We've discussed this on other "inseam challenged" threads.

The only solution is increased rider skill. You need the ground clearance and the suspension travel. Start with a small bike and build your skills. You don't need to more than tip-toe at slow speed. If you can't do even that, you need a smaller, lighter DIRT bike.
But...a brand new Yamaha XT250 has a seat height of just under 32" and ground clearance of over 11". You can get other thumpers with similar specs (ground clearance a full third of the seat height). Her Tiger came from the factory with about the same seat height as the new XT 250, and half the ground clearance. Why isn't anybody making multi cylinders with specs similar to the thumpers ?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
The answer to your question is simple physics. For the suspension to support that much gc and travel, the spring rates, compression and rebound rates, would not function well over any significant range of travel (without being very, very stiff) with the mass of a multi-cylinder bike.

Also, the center of gravity goes too high for effective handling, and the distance from the center of gravity to the roll center, and to the ground where the tires pivot, all increase - to the detriment of the rider's ability to handle the changes in momentum in a timely manner. This is especially true if riding off-road, while the suspension is working harder.

Or simply, the bikes just get too difficult to handle well. The KLR-650 (435 lbs wet, 9.4" gc) and the 660 Tenere (453 lbs wet, 9.6" gc) are pretty much pushing the limit.

Take a look at the Tiger 800XC promo video's (filmed in the PNW, but supposedly traversing South America), and note that the camera bikes were KLR-650's. You'll get a visual feeling for what I'm trying (not very effectively, I'm afraid) to describe.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Anybody watching promotion videos have to see several things: rider skills, they were mentioned, and the ones applying them are young and fit. The age is out of human control, but skills and fitness are. Force yourself to convert the lard ass into something different, you will see, that the lard was the limiting factor, not the bike. It was tested on people, on me for instance.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 518
When it comes to seat height, don't forget your bro Pythagoras. There's more to reach than height--some dirt bike seats are significantly narrower than ADV bike seats (the engine and frame are also narrower due to the smaller engine), leading to more foot on the ground because it's a straighter shot.

If you're familiar with V-Stroms, the old 650's seat was all of 0.8" lower than the 1000. But the 1000 feels at least 2" higher because its seat is much wider at the front. The KLR is higher still but I got the same amount of sack-to-seat clearance standing over it as I did my V-Strom (650 with a 1k seat).

On the ground clearance front, keep in mind that the multi-cylindered engines in our beasts are physically much larger than the single-cylinder mill in, say, an XT225. If you put a 'Strom engine as far off the ground as the XT225's is, the rear cylinder head would poke through the seat. and you thought they were top-heavy stock... The Tiger's engine would take up half the gas tank.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

You guys have made some very good points, both about skills/fitness and weight/size/mass with bigger engines and transmissions.

The lady has a lot working against her if she wants to ride anything other than a thumper to South America with me in 4 months. She's only 5'4" and was a 50 Y.O. couch potato when she started riding 2 years ago. She's ridden about 15k miles in those 2 years, but nearly all street, and her Tiger 800 "Roadie" lowered an inch is a big bike to her. She can't get my GS off the sidestand(or touch the ground with both feet at the same time), but she's taken 2 one-day dirt riding classes and does just fine off road on a little bike...just nothing freeway friendly in the rough stuff, and perhaps not enough time for practice in just 4 months.