Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #331
Motorcyclist OP
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
I was never really interested in NASCAR but watching Robby Gordon in the last couple Dakars I started following him in the turn left races.

Couple of ?s .
Do they get money from the purse just to start a race ?
I see references to Start and Park races , is that what happened today at Phoenix ?

Is this considered gaming the system ?

Or is this something to do with owner points ?

TIA
Hey Tork. No one took a shot at your questions, so I will:

1. Yes, they get money to start a race. Even the 43rd finisher (last place) gets a check from the purse. The purse payments vary by track, but last place at Daytona paid in the neighborhood of $250,000.

2. It is gaming the system to a degree, but NASCAR wants to have a full field of 43 cars at least start the race, so it is not too badly frowned upon by the sanctioning body. The "start and park" guys are typically trying to earn enough money to be able to field a car for whole races later in the year, or for some of the bigger races (Charlotte 600, July Daytona race, Indy.....). They need to build up their finances be able to afford all the ancillary costs (fuel, tires, parts, driver, etc.). Some hope to attract a local sponsor for future races, and circulate to show that they are "available for hire."

3. Only the top 35 in owner points are guaranteed a starting place, so typically the start and park guys won't reach that threshold. Some points are better than none though, and with teams coming and going as they do, you never know what could happen. If you are a top 35 team, just selling your car owner points can be a fairly lucrative proposition.

Welcome to circle track racing. It's not for everyone, but it does provide a lot of excitement and drama at times!

George
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #332
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Hey Tork. No one took a shot at your questions, so I will:

1. Yes, they get money to start a race. Even the 43rd finisher (last place) gets a check from the purse. The purse payments vary by track, but last place at Daytona paid in the neighborhood of $250,000.

2. It is gaming the system to a degree, but NASCAR wants to have a full field of 43 cars at least start the race, so it is not too badly frowned upon by the sanctioning body. The "start and park" guys are typically trying to earn enough money to be able to field a car for whole races later in the year, or for some of the bigger races (Charlotte 600, July Daytona race, Indy.....). They need to build up their finances be able to afford all the ancillary costs (fuel, tires, parts, driver, etc.). Some hope to attract a local sponsor for future races, and circulate to show that they are "available for hire."

3. Only the top 35 in owner points are guaranteed a starting place, so typically the start and park guys won't reach that threshold. Some points are better than none though, and with teams coming and going as they do, you never know what could happen. If you are a top 35 team, just selling your car owner points can be a fairly lucrative proposition.

Welcome to circle track racing. It's not for everyone, but it does provide a lot of excitement and drama at times!

George
Thanks for the reply .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #333
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Did you guys see that Sadler ditched his Waltrip 5 race cup deal?

Sounds like Mr. Childress wants to win the Nationwide championship this year.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #334
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Brian Vickers picks up the five cup race deal with Waltrip!!

I think he's one of the most under rated drivers and he's got a solid chance at winning some of those five races.

Edit; It's a six race deal now!!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #335
Motorcyclist OP
Drag a Bag!

Stewart is getting hot early in the season, that is bad for the competition.

It sounds like Kurt Busch had some sort of tantrum at the infield care center, details are still emerging. Cursing at the staff and/or throwing water bottles are rumored.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #336
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Well, at least they had some excitement in Vegas...that race was a total yawn.

The sport needs a badass, too bad Kurt Busch is such a dork.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #337
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,639
Quote:
Stewart is getting hot early in the season, that is bad for the competition.

It sounds like Kurt Busch had some sort of tantrum at the infield care center, details are still emerging. Cursing at the staff and/or throwing water bottles are rumored.
Again? How far he have to fall before he reaches bottom and fixes his head?

Can someone explain to me why Tony Stewart was so copasetic with changing his crew chief after winning the title? It's working out. But it's counter intuitive, no?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #338
Motorcyclist OP
Drag a Bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Again? How far he have to fall before he reaches bottom and fixes his head?

Can someone explain to me why Tony Stewart was so copasetic with changing his crew chief after winning the title? It's working out. But it's counter intuitive, no?
What geode said, but the elusive "chemistry" is so important between driver and crew chief, and Stewart didn't feel that the two of them had enough of it.

Stewart picked up Steve Addington as his crew chief, who he has known and had worked with for a long time in the Gibbs organization. He also picked up Greg Zipadelli to fill the general manager role, who was his crew chief for two championships with Gibbs. Addington and Zippadelli have worked together for years, and he probably felt they had a familiarity that was well established.

I also think most of the decision was timing driven. Addington and Zipadelli were at the end of their Gibbs contracts, so the change had to happen for 2012, or it was going to be difficult to procure their services in the near term.

Grubb is an excellent crew chief, and has already won a race with his new team. He will certainly be in demand as a top level crew chief for many years. But last year's championship was more about Stewart relentlessly willing it to happen than anything else.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #339
wxwax
Excited Member

Thanks guys. As you say, I wasn't aware of the history.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #340
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Grubb is an excellent crew chief, and has already won a race with his new team. He will certainly be in demand as a top level crew chief for many years.
+1 And he and Denny may be the winning combo?! Denny was so close in 2010.

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #341
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Should be an interesting Nationwide race today. Careers on the line, big names and big heads out there too. I wonder if Danica's spindly little arms can hold onto the wheel for a whole race at Bristol?

Bleh, pretty bland race. Only 13 cars or something on the lead lap, makes Danica in 19th two laps down seem like a pretty good run.

I hope the cup race is more interesting.

larryboy screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 11:11 PM
Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #342
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
BK!Wow,what a crowd!
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #343
wxwax
Excited Member

I have a friend who follows NASCAR closely -- or used to. He told me yesterday he'd forgotten they were at Bristol this weekend. Bristol! Historically a fun track and close to here, he's often wanted to go.

He feels that since the resurfacing it's just another drone-around track, that it lost its appeal.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #344
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
He feels that since the resurfacing it's just another drone-around track, that it lost its appeal.

Yup, took away the bump and run....boring to watch. I bet it's fun to drive since it has all those lines to run.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #345
larryboy
Chopper Rider

"Bristol Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith is considering about $1 million worth of changes to return his Tennessee track to the way it was before a 2007 reconfiguration.

"I want to be sure that the fans like what they see," Smith said. "If the fans like three abreast through the turns, we do nothing. If they don't, then we'll alter the track. The fans vote is the most important thing."

If changes are made, they'll be done in time for NASCAR's Aug. 25 return to Bristol.
"If I am going to do anything, I am going to guarantee we are going to do it before August," he said."

Thank goodness, Earnhardt can roll back over in his grave and get some rest.