Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #466
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Nice job by the blue deuce,Brads becoming quite the racer.
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #467
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,486
Bruton Smith wants to make races more interesting by having mandatory yellows and double file restarts. Like 7 to 10 per race.

Other than the fact they they kinda do that already, it's too gimmicky.

In his comments, he also blamed the tires for the dull racing. I take it he believes they're too durable? If so, then maybe NASCAR should follow in F1's steps and make the tires more volatile.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #468
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Hmm, Despain thinks that it's Andretti to Nascar with Dodge and a two car team, one driver said to be an IndyCar "driver". That says Robby Gordon to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #469
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Was watching Wind Tunnel last night and and heard something that just floored me. Bruton Smith actually said " there needs to be more mandatory cautions to make the racing more exciting". So let me get this straight ... If the field gets to spread out, or the leader opens up a big gap on the field, just throw a caution and let everyone catch back up. Are you kidding me?! NASCAR has been known to throw a mystery caution every now and then. But to actually make it standard race procedure?! Is NASCAR that desperate to refill there empty seats. Are their TV ratings taking such a beating that they have to stoop to this level.

Sure, if I go to an NFL game, I'd like to see the game won with a spectacular catch on the last play of the game. Yeah, if I go to an MLB baseball game, I'd like to see the game won with a grand slam in the top of the 9th. And of course if I go to a race, I'd like to see three cars in a photo finish. Of course, this rarely happens. But for any organization to alter the game or race to ensure such an ending, then the event would loose all legitamacy. It would be nothing more than than an orchestrated show.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #470
Motorcyclist OP
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,257
NASCAR has certainly been guilty of debris cautions in the past, but a few years ago there was a huge uproar from the fans, and now they seem to use them much less frequently. When you go back and look at old race footage, cautions were much less common. Cars that banged into walls, limped around on the apron, and even pulled off the track against the infield wall did not necessarily draw a caution flag.

Cautions now seem to be thrown when cars hit the wall with any force, or when they are limping around trying to make it back to the pits. From a safety standpoint, I guess you can't argue too much, but it does seem excessive at times.

NASCAR races were designed to test the durability of man and machine, but with all the improvements over the years, the reliability aspect is really not a huge concern. I'd prefer that they adopt a World Superbike format, running two shorter races instead of one longer one. Make each one 150-200 miles or 150-200 laps, with a 45 minute break in the middle where the teams can work on the cars. That would allow the fans to potentially see green flag racing, and allow pitstops and strategy to play a part. But it would be short enough to force the drivers to stay near the front, and not stroke it like they do through the middle of a longer race.

Ever been to a race where rain is threatening? That is some of the best racing you'll ever see, because the drivers are giving their all due to the possibility of the race being stopped. Shorter races would give similar results, IMHO.

Motorcyclist screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 07:37 AM
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #471
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post

NASCAR races were designed to test the durability of man and machine, but with all the improvements over the years, the reliability aspect is really not a huge concern. I'd prefer that they adopt a World Superbike format, running two shorter races instead of one longer one. Make each one 150-200 miles or 150-200 laps, with a 45 minute break in the middle where the teams can work on the cars. That would allow the fans to potentially see green flag racing, and allow pitstops and strategy to play a part. But it would be short enough to force the drivers to stay near the front, and not stroke it like they do through the middle of a longer race.

That sounds like a good idea. I think the All-star races are too short.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #472
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

No pitting under yellow.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #473
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
No pitting under yellow.
Dang - The herder from the swamp rang a winner!

Take some of the racing out of the pitbox! No doubt the rankings would change. New faces rise.

NASCAR needs new faces at the front, but they need to get there through merit on the track, not the pitbox. Actually, veterans need to be measured the same way.

Dump yellow flag pit stops and false yellows. I think we'll have a new front. A better sport...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #474
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
Instead of giving the drivers points for just their finishing position, give them position points for each lap.

imho

Too complicated. I think there is something to be said for a point system that a fan can keep up with, and Nascar's is already pretty convoluted.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #475
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Dang - The herder from the swamp rang a winner!

Take some of the racing out of the pitbox! No doubt the rankings would change. New faces rise.

NASCAR needs new faces at the front, but they need to get there through merit on the track, not the pitbox. Actually, veterans need to be measured the same way.

Dump yellow flag pit stops and false yellows. I think we'll have a new front. A better sport...

Yeah, death to false yellows.

What was that recent race where the announcers were so upset at all the speeding penalties on green flag pit stops? No pitting under yellow would be great, but it could lead to a runaway winner by 20 laps if they get their stops right and everybody else is messing up and going laps down on every stop.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #476
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

No "Lucky Dog" either.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #477
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
No "Lucky Dog" either.
I like the Lucky Dawg...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #478
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The "Lucky Dog" was created as part of solution to a safety issue.
What safety issue?In the"good old days",if you got a lap down,you raced your way back,or stayed a lap down.Get rid of the silly rules that make this basically a made for TV reality show and the fans will come back.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #479
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,486
Nobody acknowledged post #467. So I'll say it again: one thing which has made the current F1 season one of the most entertaining in the history of the sport, is the volatility of the tires.

If they're less durable, if they're unpredictable, if cars need to be set-up to allow for tire decay, you've used modern technology to return to an old-timey problem. And you may open up the racing.

TLDR: Crappy tires make better racing.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #480
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The safety issue was racing back to the line AFTER a yellow caution flag had been waved.

How is it proper for all the cars on the lead lap to slow down when the yellow has been thrown but safe and proper for all the cars not on the lead lap get to race at full speed to try and cross the start / finish line before the leader does?
It was"proper"for years,till the popularity of drivers like Dale Jr. and huge TV contracts,just freeze the cars where they are when the yellow comes out,no damn lucky dog needed!