Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
I hope this post can save someone else from the hassle and wasted time I
have experienced.
Thanks for the heads up. I will revise my recommendations.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
the cavalier OP
adventurer

Oddometer: 22
great write up!

Thanks for this write up on the instal of an after market r/r by ebrabaek. I am going to do this instal this week and was worried about splicing the wires, especially since there is 1 red wire from my new mosfet r/r where there are 2 on the stock r/r. Now I'm not. I'll splice them all together. awesome.

For the KTM adventure it seems to me that the stock R/R goes through a fuse box [for the ignition?, lower right side, 30a]. Does this mean I can by pass the in line fuse on the new mosfet R/R since I am splicing it into the 2 red wires that plug in to this KTM adventure's fuse box already?

I am going to instal the Taiwanese R/R that I got from Rick's Motorsports in NH. They list it as 10-013H Hot Shot KTM Rectifier-Regulator. I bought it last spring, didn't really need it till now. The wires are silver. Has anyone had problems yet with this R/R?

Thanks for all the advice on this thread.
the cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cavalier View Post
Thanks for this write up on the instal of an after market r/r by ebrabaek. I am going to do this instal this week and was worried about splicing the wires, especially since there is 1 red wire from my new mosfet r/r where there are 2 on the stock r/r. Now I'm not. I'll splice them all together. awesome.

For the KTM adventure it seems to me that the stock R/R goes through a fuse box [for the ignition?, lower right side, 30a]. Does this mean I can by pass the in line fuse on the new mosfet R/R since I am splicing it into the 2 red wires that plug in to this KTM adventure's fuse box already?

I am going to instal the Taiwanese R/R that I got from Rick's Motorsports in NH. They list it as 10-013H Hot Shot KTM Rectifier-Regulator. I bought it last spring, didn't really need it till now. The wires are silver. Has anyone had problems yet with this R/R?

Thanks for all the advice on this thread.
Your quite welcome..... If there are silver wires, that usually mean aluminum, which is bad. They do not hold up to vibration well, and if your bike vibes as much as mine....., then I would expect that the aluminum will not hold up. I am surprised to see any offering with aluminum. Only place aluminum wires are accepted is from the box on your street to your house. Ask for the country of origin, If is Chinese .... I would shop elsewhere.... Just my two cents. Which ever unit you get, it should carry the same hook up as the stock....IE... 3 wires from your stator..... and one to either ground, or battery negative.... The other to where the stock positive went..... Either fuse box, or battery...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Your quite welcome..... If there are silver wires, that usually mean aluminum, which is bad. They do not hold up to vibration well, and if your bike vibes as much as mine....., then I would expect that the aluminum will not hold up. I am surprised to see any offering with aluminum. Only place aluminum wires are accepted is from the box on your street to your house. Ask for the country of origin, If is Chinese .... I would shop elsewhere.... Just my two cents. Which ever unit you get, it should carry the same hook up as the stock....IE... 3 wires from your stator..... and one to either ground, or battery negative.... The other to where the stock positive went..... Either fuse box, or battery...
Sorry, but silver wires RARELY mean they are aluminum. It usually indicates TINNED COPPER. Tinned copper wire is better than bare copper as it is much more corrosion resistant. Have you ever stripped copper wire that has been on the bike awhile and found it to be tarnished almost black. This tarnish can extend well up under the wire jacket. Tinned copper won't do that. It's particularly good in marine environments.
-Shov
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote