User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,373
Fuel line on a KTM 640e

Okay, I asked the KTM dealer for a fueline for a 2001 640e with a 18L tank which is a pre-bent affair with a part number (that I have). They sent me a foot of good old straight fueline. That's just great but I only need about 3" and it needs 2, 90 deg. bends and that just leads to one big kink! So, what am I missing? The other fix would be if the fuel intake on a Mikuni carb could be replaced with a straight intake... Any ideas?
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
Obviously it would be best to get the preformed line, but if that is not available for some reason you could place a long spring with the same inner diameter as the fuel hoses outer diameter around it to prevent kinking.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
ktmbmw
Getting there

Oddometer: 309
For my SXC tank upgrade, I ordered my fuel line from bikebandit by part number and got the one I needed.

have you tried other vendors?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Laugh

Thanks, I'm going to try the spring first then since it's not electrical maybe a "Big hammer" If that doesn't work then I'll just have to order the right part from some one else!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,955
just use the black sheathed VW style fuel line... and make a loop... what Ive used on all the tanks for my 625 sxc//adventure/Lc4.. and I replace it once a yr..
also check your carb inlet screen .. little white jobby that looks like a lip on the end of the inlet...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
My 2000 LC4E 18L tank came with a straight bit of hose (that had taken on a bent shape over time) and an internal coil spring to keep it from kinking. Part #2 on the diagram is the spring, #6 the hose. I didn't know the spring was in there until my local dealer (where I bought the hose) told me not to forget to change the spring over. Sure enough the spring was in my old hose.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Well, this is how it ended! Since I have only had this 640e for a couple of months I did not get the old fuel line. The one that was put in (not buy me) was kinked bad! So I just thought I would show my work around and it works great so far.

This is before

And after

And yes, I made the mistake of thinking that if I took the little in-line fuel filter out to check it that I might be able to put it back in, "NOT". So that big white thing between the air intake and the carb is a nice big inline fuel filter. It was a tight fit but it worked...
Old 10-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
The only issue I see with a high loop like that is when the fuel gets low in the tank. If you have an air bubble in the line at the top of the loop fuel won't flow once it gets below the highest point of the loop. Just like a siphon with air in the hose, it doesn't flow.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

I was trying to make that happen in the shop but it did not. This will have to do for now until I can find a spring or the pre shaped line. And a new filter for the carb.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,056
I have a loop but it goes down rather than up like that. It means I can swap between the 12L & 18L tanks without changing the fuel line.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #11
gettinold
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
My 2000 LC4E 18L tank came with a straight bit of hose (that had taken on a bent shape over time) and an internal coil spring to keep it from kinking. Part #2 on the diagram is the spring, #6 the hose. I didn't know the spring was in there until my local dealer (where I bought the hose) told me not to forget to change the spring over. Sure enough the spring was in my old hose.

Old post but this was the made to order info I needed right now, awesomely wonderful.
gettinold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #12
sir phily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
The only issue I see with a high loop like that is when the fuel gets low in the tank. If you have an air bubble in the line at the top of the loop fuel won't flow once it gets below the highest point of the loop. Just like a siphon with air in the hose, it doesn't flow.

Spot on, I had the same set up on my old 640E ran into trouble, couldn't work out why I kept running out of fuel moved the loop to below the outlet and problem gone. .

Cheers Phil
sir phily is offline   Reply With Quote