User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Dlupini OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Changing a g650gs low to standard hight

I purchased a g650gs low for my wife. And now that she has about 10,000 miles on it she feels she is ready for a taller bike. She wants the extra ground clearance for off road riding.

What parts are different from a low to standard night bike? Is it just center stand, side stand and rear shock? I asked the BMW dealership and they weren't sure. They said on the old f650 singles it was a dealer setup option and it consisted of lowering the front forks and swapping tor stands and rear shock. But on the g650gs's it's a factory option, so they weren't sure.

Bottom line is it feasible to raise her bike, without unreasonable expense?
Dlupini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
HOTPASS
Torch slinger

Oddometer: 87
My understanding was the older funduro era kit was links (like factory kouba links) a shorter side stand and center stand.

The shock is not changed, and the front is just slid up the clamps.

I'm not sure what may have changed. But we have kouba links. On her funduro. Side stand was short already so it's not affected, and it's a little harder to pull up on the center stand. All I did was weld a 1/8" or maybe 1/4 "plate as a bigger side stand foot but it would have been fine without.

If they changed the whole kit from factory, I think you'd be looking at buying new stands and dog bones. Or just buy some stock size links and toss a welder at a fab shop a case a beer to add some length to the side stand on his lunch break. I would take me less than 10mins.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
mklupini
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlupini View Post
I purchased a g650gs low for my wife. And now that she has about 10,000 miles on it she feels she is ready for a taller bike. She wants the extra ground clearance for off road riding.

What parts are different from a low to standard night bike? Is it just center stand, side stand and rear shock? I asked the BMW dealership and they weren't sure. They said on the old f650 singles it was a dealer setup option and it consisted of lowering the front forks and swapping tor stands and rear shock. But on the g650gs's it's a factory option, so they weren't sure.

Bottom line is it feasible to raise her bike, without unreasonable expense?
How much height would just changing the rear shock get me?

Would something like this do anything for me: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...G650GS-2009-on

Any other ideas to get me some more ground clearance?
mklupini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Expensive. Front forks, rear shock, center stand, side stand. Adding just the rear shock would put the bike out of balance. Trade it in.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Dlupini OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
Expensive. Front forks, rear shock, center stand, side stand. Adding just the rear shock would put the bike out of balance. Trade it in.
Maybe someone wants to trade suspension.
Dlupini is offline   Reply With Quote