ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #166
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slider162's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 161
Well, I have been stranded twice now. Start it up, drive to the gas station, fill up, and the thing won't start back up. The starter will engage and turn over all day long, but no fire. Last night I was 120 miles from home and drained the battery. I was able to call my uncle and he came out to the gas station and gave me a jump. Once the jumper cables were hooked up, it fired right up. So I'm guessing I need a battery with some serious cold cranking amps. It was 20F last night. It seems like the battery has enough to engage the starter, but not enough for the ignition system. I have a Ballistic Performance 8 Cell EVO2 Battery on order. Hopefully this will solve my problem.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #167
vnsfxr
BornAgainDirtyRider
 
vnsfxr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Lake County California
Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
alskee750,
yeah good looking bike in the flesh. At 6'2" (33") inseam i found the seat height about right, but would have liked to have tried the optional taller seat (for more legroom). that and some bar risers would be spot on. Overall had less of a bulky feel than the XT660Z tenere.

Spaceman..

I agree, but when I read the taller seat height comes at (I believe 35") I figured that would be too tall for me. Overall, the bike is a great platform for dual sporting and commuting. I'm going to dial in the bike to my liking and upgrade the suspension to my weight. I just placed a call into Joe at sasquatchrider to see what he can help to suit my needs.

I pick mine up on Saturday, centerstand & heidenau tires. I'm very happy with my decision.

Pic's to come soon..

Alex[/QUOTE]

Something to keep in mind that seat height listed is unladen and you will have a few inches of sag with the suspension set up for your weight with 8" of listed travel.
__________________
Socialism Tax dollars at work for those who dont
vnsfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #168
Durden
Freak!
 
Durden's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post

I pick mine up on Saturday, centerstand & heidenau tires. I'm very happy with my decision.

Pic's to come soon..

Alex
How much was the centerstand option? I was looking at the Heidenau tires, they look great - any word on how they would be for lasting a long trip?
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #169
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ogre_fl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Cook Bayou, FL
Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
Well, I have been stranded twice now. Start it up, drive to the gas station, fill up, and the thing won't start back up. The starter will engage and turn over all day long, but no fire. Last night I was 120 miles from home and drained the battery. I was able to call my uncle and he came out to the gas station and gave me a jump. Once the jumper cables were hooked up, it fired right up. So I'm guessing I need a battery with some serious cold cranking amps. It was 20F last night. It seems like the battery has enough to engage the starter, but not enough for the ignition system. I have a Ballistic Performance 8 Cell EVO2 Battery on order. Hopefully this will solve my problem.
Was your kill switch off?
I recall my X-challenge would crank and crank but not start if the kill switch was off.

Every other bike I have owned would simply not crank if the safety stuff was not in line, but that bike would let wear its battery out trying to start it if you didn't realise something was not set right.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #170
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slider162's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Was your kill switch off?
I recall my X-challenge would crank and crank but not start if the kill switch was off.

Every other bike I have owned would simply not crank if the safety stuff was not in line, but that bike would let wear its battery out trying to start it if you didn't realise something was not set right.
Yeah, I checked. It won't crank at all if the kill switch is in.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #171
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer
 
steve_k's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Rancho Bernardo (San Diego)
Oddometer: 1,061
How do you Sertao owners like the taller windscreen that comes with the bike? My regular G650 should be in sometime in the next week or 2 and that is one of the first things I will probably change. Just want to see how the factory one is before I go after market.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #172
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slider162's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
How do you Sertao owners like the taller windscreen that comes with the bike? My regular G650 should be in sometime in the next week or 2 and that is one of the first things I will probably change. Just want to see how the factory one is before I go after market.
I like the taller windscreen. My only complaint is it is not tall enough. I would highly recommend the Adjustable Windscreen Bracket. It would be my #2 item after the center stand.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #173
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer
 
steve_k's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Rancho Bernardo (San Diego)
Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
I like the taller windscreen. My only complaint is it is not tall enough. I would highly recommend the Adjustable Windscreen Bracket. It would be my #2 item after the center stand.

Hi Slider,

Thanks for the input! I have checked out that item from Touratech, so that is on the list of things that might be done.

Out of curriosity, how tall are you? I'm about 5'10, my sales guy is about the same height and he kinda said the same thing as you.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #174
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
How do you Sertao owners like the taller windscreen that comes with the bike? My regular G650 should be in sometime in the next week or 2 and that is one of the first things I will probably change. Just want to see how the factory one is before I go after market.
not sure what madstad use for newer dual light setup but he labeles these as working
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2125/.f
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #175
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slider162's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Hi Slider,

Thanks for the input! I have checked out that item from Touratech, so that is on the list of things that might be done.

Out of curriosity, how tall are you? I'm about 5'10, my sales guy is about the same height and he kinda said the same thing as you.
I'm 5'9". I'm still playing with the windshield to get it just right, but it is already much better than stock with the adjustable bracket.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #176
alskee750
Studly Adventurer
 
alskee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 520
Center Stand/Tires..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
How much was the centerstand option? I was looking at the Heidenau tires, they look great - any word on how they would be for lasting a long trip?
Durden,
Funny you mention the centerstand, but for some strange reason BMW does not have an OEM one on the market. Even the parts guy found that funny, they do business with Twisted throttle and Touratech. Touratech was out of stock. I payed $215 no shipping for a SW-Motech and there putting it on for free since I brought the bike from them. The bike comes w/ tourances on them and I was going to go w/ the TKC-80's but the parts guy talked me out of it. I'll be commuting w/ this bike regularly to and from work. He explained to me that if I was going to be doing more street riding and some weekend dirt rides he said go with the Heidenau ones they'll last longer. So I did, since these tires are very expensive both the TKC 80's and the Heidenau. I just did a swap and had them balance and put the tires on. Bike should be ready to go by Saturday, looking forward to my new ride.
alskee750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #177
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
Well, I have been stranded twice now. Start it up, drive to the gas station, fill up, and the thing won't start back up. The starter will engage and turn over all day long, but no fire. Last night I was 120 miles from home and drained the battery. I was able to call my uncle and he came out to the gas station and gave me a jump. Once the jumper cables were hooked up, it fired right up. So I'm guessing I need a battery with some serious cold cranking amps. It was 20F last night. It seems like the battery has enough to engage the starter, but not enough for the ignition system. I have a Ballistic Performance 8 Cell EVO2 Battery on order. Hopefully this will solve my problem.
Oh dear, that sounds like the warm start issues some folk in the UK have been experiencing on their bikes.....hope not. Those issues don't seem to be battery related.
__________________
Tom

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #178
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,076
Yup, it were my new bike I'd have the dealer sort it under warranty, the oem battery should fire up the bike no prob.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #179
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer
 
steve_k's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Rancho Bernardo (San Diego)
Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
I'm 5'9". I'm still playing with the windshield to get it just right, but it is already much better than stock with the adjustable bracket.
How much adjust ment in height do you have with the Touratech part installed?

Pics?
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #180
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Durden,
Funny you mention the centerstand, but for some strange reason BMW does not have an OEM one on the market. Even the parts guy found that funny, they do business with Twisted throttle and Touratech. Touratech was out of stock. I payed $215 no shipping for a SW-Motech and there putting it on for free since I brought the bike from them. The bike comes w/ tourances on them and I was going to go w/ the TKC-80's but the parts guy talked me out of it. I'll be commuting w/ this bike regularly to and from work. He explained to me that if I was going to be doing more street riding and some weekend dirt rides he said go with the Heidenau ones they'll last longer. So I did, since these tires are very expensive both the TKC 80's and the Heidenau. I just did a swap and had them balance and put the tires on. Bike should be ready to go by Saturday, looking forward to my new ride.
I wonder if you knowthe part number of the SW centre stand
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014