Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #181
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Alex, did you (or anyone else) test ride both the Sertao and the '11+ G650GS...before deciding for the Sertao? If so what were the differences in handling, suspension, etc?

Bring on the pics (can't believe i didn't take any at the show).

psst it is Jay over at Suspensions by Sasquatch

SpaceManSpiff screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 07:07 PM
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #182
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Here is a link to my gallery.

Still some room to play with.

Sorry, been meaning to take some pics during the day.

slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #183
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Thanks for the pics!

The windshield adjuster looks like a great option should the taller one not work out completely. Are those the Touratech protection bars?
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #184
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Thanks for the pics!

The windshield adjuster looks like a great option should the taller one not work out completely. Are those the Touratech protection bars?
Yeah, those are the Touratech bars. I wish I would have gotten the fairing protector in black, but oh well.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #185
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Deciding Factor...

Spaceman... thanks for the correction. I spoke to Jay today and he's doing some homework for me and will be getting back to me.

As to test riding... I wrote this in over the weekend thread... #159

My factors in the end was that I wanted something reliable, light and not to crazy expensive. Seriously I could've walked out w/ a 800 but figured I would put myself in the hole $$ and it wouldn’t even be farkled. No brainer.. Don’t under estimate that little engine. I was flying on that thing! I took it out twice and each time I came back I was grinning. The bike bought me, not the other way around..

To be truthful my test drive was on the G650GS as the last Sertao was sold. The G650GS was a bit small for me as I stand at 6'1 w/ a 34 inseam. The handling was great in the twisties due to its 19' front tire. But once I sat on the Sertao, I was sold because ergonomically it fit me like a glove. I tell you one thing I'm going to push that bike and improve my skills on that bike. It will be my all around moto..

I would advise you to test ride them all, f800/f650GS twin, G650GS single/Sertao.. Take them out twice! I did and push them hard and make your decision on how the bike makes you feel. It took me almost all day Saturday riding them all, then I sat on all of them like 10 times. Stood up on them, the Sertao won me over...

Hope that helps...

Alex
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #186
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Slider,
thanks for the pics. Instruments look legible. How is the headlight?
And yeah, daytime pics might be nice.

What is the lower front fender?
something like this? http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...o-F650GS-Dakar
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #187
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Slider,
thanks for the pics. Instruments look legible. How is the headlight?
And yeah, daytime pics might be nice.

What is the lower front fender?
something like this? http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...o-F650GS-Dakar
Yup, that is the fender. Headlight is okay. Brights are good. I spend 2 1/2 hours last night on the road after the battery fiasco. Went to start tonight and it barely turned over. Not sure now if the alternator is keeping up. I'm only wearing 175 Watts of clothing. Battery charged up after idling for 30 minutes. I'm going to let the dealer look at it as soon as I can get it in there.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #188
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

175Watts of heated gear sounds like a lot--since these bikes have 400W total at best. Especially if you are in traffic with the revs not up. might want to hook up a volt meter while you are riding around.

On my DL650, with a heated vest and grips (maybe 85W total) I often would turn off the heated grips in traffic.

post #18 in this thread might be helpful. http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...eated-clothing

HTH,
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #189
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
Yup, that is the fender. Headlight is okay. Brights are good. I spend 2 1/2 hours last night on the road after the battery fiasco. Went to start tonight and it barely turned over. Not sure now if the alternator is keeping up. I'm only wearing 175 Watts of clothing. Battery charged up after idling for 30 minutes. I'm going to let the dealer look at it as soon as I can get it in there.
Fwiw, I've got a voltmeter on my GS and it shows the alternator can handle heated grips, a heated jacket and heated gloves no prob. Here's a very good waterproof voltmeter if you're in the market for one.

https://www.denniskirk.com/408821.sku
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #190
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
175Watts of heated gear sounds like a lot--since these bikes have 400W total at best. Especially if you are in traffic with the revs not up. might want to hook up a volt meter while you are riding around.

On my DL650, with a heated vest and grips (maybe 85W total) I often would turn off the heated grips in traffic.

post #18 in this thread might be helpful. http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...eated-clothing

HTH,
It would be 175 Watts on high, which I was running the other night. Plus, let's say 15W per grip. So I'm at 205W worst case scenario. I would expect the alternator to keep up no matter what the RPMs are at. That is my understanding of an alternator vs generator anyway. Alternators will put out the same output no matter what the RPMs are at. Where a generator will put out more as the RPMs increase. In any case, it was all highway or back country roads at speed.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #191
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Quote:
It would be 175 Watts on high, which I was running the other night. Plus, let's say 15W per grip. So I'm at 205W worst case scenario. I would expect the alternator to keep up no matter what the RPMs are at. That is my understanding of an alternator vs generator anyway. Alternators will put out the same output no matter what the RPMs are at. Where a generator will put out more as the RPMs increase. In any case, it was all highway or back country roads at speed.

Slider, the Sertao just doesn't haven enough output to run that much heated gear . Your starting problems are most likely battery related.

The Sertao has a 400W alternator (if it like the one in the F800GS it puts out 90% of max at a relatively low 2,700 RPM)

Apparently,
"A common operating load for a standard fuel injected bike is about 285 watts."
http://moto.activheat.com/index_file...lQuestions.htm

--I don't know how these bikes compare to standard...but it seems like a reasonable starting point.
--draw might be less since the cooling fan isn't likely to come on (or then it will be warm enough you won't need heated gear).
--draw might be more if when riding with the high beam on, the low beam remains on.

So that would leave you with 115W to run heated gear at max alternator output...

An inmate with mad electrical skills measured the output and loads on an F800GS (same alternator output I think) and found that at low rpms you could run 98W, and at highway rpms 140W of gear. Not exactly sure how that would translate to a Sertao...but hopefully it is useful.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649536

Also, from what i can tell it isn't good for the battery to fall below 13.5V when charging.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #192
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Apparently,
"A common operating load for a standard fuel injected bike is about 285 watts."
http://moto.activheat.com/index_file...lQuestions.htm
And that is really the missing variable. Taking that into consideration, I am running too much gear. The 65W jacket would have been more appropriate.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #193
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Durden,
Funny you mention the centerstand, but for some strange reason BMW does not have an OEM one on the market. Even the parts guy found that funny, they do business with Twisted throttle and Touratech. Touratech was out of stock. I payed $215 no shipping for a SW-Motech and there putting it on for free since I brought the bike from them. The bike comes w/ tourances on them and I was going to go w/ the TKC-80's but the parts guy talked me out of it. I'll be commuting w/ this bike regularly to and from work. He explained to me that if I was going to be doing more street riding and some weekend dirt rides he said go with the Heidenau ones they'll last longer. So I did, since these tires are very expensive both the TKC 80's and the Heidenau. I just did a swap and had them balance and put the tires on. Bike should be ready to go by Saturday, looking forward to my new ride.
Interesting, I mentioned the center stand because the brochure I got at the dealership has it down as a 'factory option', but looking online it does not have it as an option. I really want it, and was going to ask for it from the dealer. Check out the brochure I got (keep in mind I'm in Canada so options may be a bit different). I'm going into the dealership this weekend for round #2 tire kicking, so I will find out for sure, I may just walk out with one :)

Edit: Maybe its because you were looking for a 'Center Stand' not a 'Centre Stand'!
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #194
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 105
oil return line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Yes it would work but....in my opinion using the new BMW oil line would be a waste of money!! They show the price on the parts fiche as $130.00 for the new line
I fixed mine with a $1.56 piece of 1/2 inch 300psi push on hose and 2, 80 cent gear clamps.
Hi
i bought a return pipe from the Sertao for 110,- Euros it was wasted money, the oil pipe from the Sertao does not work on a F650 GS or Dakar the bow is to narrow, i could not turn the pipe in the right position.
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #195
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
And that is really the missing variable. Taking that into consideration, I am running too much gear. The 65W jacket would have been more appropriate.

It looks like you have an adjustable controller for your jacket, so you could just keep it down to 40-50% power. And you could probably make other adjustments such as using the grips on low and low beam head light to give the jacket more power if needed. I also turn off my jacket an grips when I'm about 5 miles out from a stop to give the battery some extra juice before shutting down.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote