Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #2521
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastou View Post
the G650GS sertao has been used during the final of French session of GS Trophy ;) ;) ;)
Link?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #2522
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post

Alskee how is the mileage on the big block ?
I put them on at 7700 miles, I'm at 9200 and counting. So far so good, I heard you probably can get around 3500 - 4000 from them. Time will tell, I'll let you know when the time comes.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #2523
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Link?
Found this on youtube..

http://youtu.be/elWzQG8pzGY?t=5m51s
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #2524
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
I have about 1/10th the riding experience you do, but with this being my 8th bike, and the last two being liter+ adv bikes, the Sertao does a lot of things right.

Fairly simple, easy to maintain design
Durable
Light enough to explore offroad safely and be nimble in urban settings
Heavy/fast/comfortable enough to cruise all day at 65-70
High payload capacity
EFI is great for different temps and elevations
Fuel efficient
Comfortable for a passenger
Long warranty
Enough power to have some fun, but won't let you do anything too stupid unless you really try
Ergos easily adapted for tall or short riders

Yep, BMW did a great job with the design concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
I have been glancing at one of these 650 singles for years. But lately I have developed more of an interest.

I am in the process of reading the Sertao thread, I am about forty pages in at the moment. But I am also reading the Dakar, G650GS and F650 threads. Lots of information for sure.

At the moment I have a R1150RS that I'm looking to exchange for something more dirt worthy. The RS is a great bike. But I live in the extreme northern Adirondacks, and I'm looking for something little more versatile.

Having owned a R100GS('94) , 1200GS('05), 950('05), and a few other large trailies. I feel like trying a smaller, lighter, cheaper, simpler, experience.

I see a few folks have come down from the 12GS to the 650. Down may not be the correct word, more like over.
I always just figured that it would lack power and would vibrate excessiveliy. But that seems not to be the case.

What I like about the bike, is similar to what I liked about the airheads. I see some issues, but more importantly I see a lot of folks collectively working together to solve those issues. Also, the overall platform seems for the most part to be simple and very dependable, much like the airheads. Also it just seems to get the job done, understately perhaps. But done never the less.

I have tried DRZ 400s and while not bad off road, I found them lacking on road. This 650 in it's many iterations appears to handle both very well.

About me, I am fifty-three, been on a bike constantly since 1973, started with dirt bikes, moved to road bikes, then big trailies. And lately back to road bikes. But my most fond memories are of the days on the simple little dirt bikes with an overnight pack strapped to the back. I don't want to jump it, cross tha sahara, just ride down the road until some fire road or trail peaks my interest. Mostly one up, with an ocassional two up jaunt. I rarely break 90 anymore. I derive more pleasure from tooling down backroads in the mountains. Ocassional stopping by a stream or waterfall, as well as some camping from the bike.

As an American, I guess I am guilty of the bigger is better mentality that drives the larger, heavier, more expensive bikes. As well as most other things here. At my age, I have begun to simplify, looking for many things that serve more than one purpose. I have one coffee pot that goes from my stove to my campfire(people laugh). So it stands to reason that I should forgo my ego driven quest, and seek out a truly versatile motorcycle as well.

But every now and then I get a hair across my butt and want to take off for the U.P. or Idaho, or Tennessee, or some other far away place. So I need a bike that is capable of that as well. I see many have made those trips and longer ones with relative ease.

I feel like I have just discovered a new model, that could potentially be the bike I have been looking for all along.

Your feedback is very much welcomed.

And thanks for all the previous posts.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #2525
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Now what?!!!

So I'm only the 2nd owner Max has heard of with this water pump oil leak issue. Fine

I just went out and started the bike and let it warm up for maybe 5 minutes tops and the header was glowing red!!!
What is going on with this bike?!!!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #2526
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
So I'm only the 2nd owner Max has heard of with this water pump oil leak issue. Fine

I just went out and started the bike and let it warm up for maybe 5 minutes tops and the header was glowing red!!!
What is going on with this bike?!!!!!
Loose header nuts? Sounds like air is getting in somewhere, and/or the fueling is lean. 5 minutes is kinda long to leave it idling though...
Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #2527
MaikFritz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
BMW Challenge

Hi,

Has anybody ever participated at the BMW Challenge with his Sertáo?
I will do so next month in Germany and I'looking forward to it.
Hope the bikt will handle 2 days of dirt, dust and water like it did for the past 5.300 km on the roads and trails in Germany.
MaikFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #2528
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Loose header nuts? Sounds like air is getting in somewhere, and/or the fueling is lean. 5 minutes is kinda long to leave it idling though...

I checked everything.
Max is going to fix everything next week.
but, something else has come up anyway with family, so I'm selling the bike.
ANYONE INTERESTED IN BUYING THE BIKE CAN PM ME.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #2529
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
my header cracked early on and was replaced on warranty. I did not have the heat issue though.
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #2530
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
I checked everything.
Thanks
sorry to hear about that! You've been one of the more active guys on this thread these days!
bhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #2531
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Well, I'm up to page 115. Great reading.

Swamp, nice work man!

I will be going to Max after the holiday for some test riding goodness. I was hoping to sell my RS outright, but might just swap it and save the grief. They know the bike and gave me decent preliminary numbers via email.

Thanks everyone for the responses. The bike definitely looks like a fairly solid platform to ride as is, or build off of.

I need some dirt. If things go well, who knows, I might be a member of the club soon.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #2532
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
KD - sorry to hear that man. We'll miss you here.

Lost Viking - i made it through all the pages once, too. Be glad its a new model, and the thread isnt 6,000 posts!

~~~~~

Brake pads - Anyone put sintered brake pads on the back? I'll change mine in CA, and thought I might switch. Report?

Sprockets - I'll drop 1 tooth on the front, that seems common. Anyone ALSO going up teeth on the rear for a larger change? Or is that too big a step at once?

Thanks

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #2533
Fboldcrow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Going up a couple is nice on the rear but changing the front is a lot easier. I have done both on my 97 and do anout 70 at 5k.
Frank
Sent from my SAMSUNG G3 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #2534
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
I checked everything.
Thanks
Sorry to hear that! Your enthusiasm about the bike was contagious. Hope whatever it is, is temporary and you can get back in the saddle...

Best wishes!
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #2535
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys,
I'm really bummed. I know it's a minor issue and that Max will fix it, but some other things are going on right now so I gotta make some hard decisions.
I'm going to sell it with all of the stuff I did plus the wolfman bags, tank bag and gerbings heated jacket.
Any thoughts on what I should sell it for?