Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #316
Moondogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Tall Seat

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum.

I'm interested in the Sertao and was wondering if anyone here has purchased one with the tall seat option?

I talked to one dealer here in Los Angeles and they said they don't have control over what the factory sends them.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Alex
Moondogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #317
Davnic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Ok thanks for everyone's input the decision has been made to buy the Sertao. I spoke with the dealer today about a centre stand and it looks like BMW dont make one. He has suggested the G650S stand as it will fit but not sure if it will give enough height. Has anyone here put one on and thoughts? I'm not to sure if any after market one is available yet.
Thanks,
Davnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #318
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davnic View Post
Ok thanks for everyone's input the decision has been made to buy the Sertao. I spoke with the dealer today about a centre stand and it looks like BMW dont make one. He has suggested the G650S stand as it will fit but not sure if it will give enough height. Has anyone here put one on and thoughts? I'm not to sure if any after market one is available yet.
Thanks,
http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...typid=60072759
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #319
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Sertao evaluation

Have 14,000 + Kilometers on mine now (rode from Canada to Mexico and back) so felt I'd add my comments to the list. During my trip I had the opportunity to ride the bike in a wide variety of conditions everything from 80 mph Interstate to twisty paved roads to deep sand to rough rocky roads to endless washboard (everything but mud). For most of the ride I had at least 50kg of load (camping gear, tools spares etc). I ran the stock Metzelers on pavement and swapped out to Heidenau K60 Scouts for the Mexico (off-road) portion of the trip.
When I left Canada it was -2C and I saw temperatures of +35C in Mexico.
Modifications included Trax aluminum panniers, Bags Connection quick-lock tankbag, Garmin Zumo GPS, SW Motech center stand, Touratech rear rack extender, Shorai lithium battery (mine had the hot start issue) otherwise the bike was completely stock.
Two crashes, both relatively minor, resulted in the usual scratches and some cosmetic damage to one of the Trax bags but no functional damage.
So overall impression, love the bike everything worked very well with no real issues once the hot start was sorted out. Changed the oil three times during the trip but never used any between changes. Averaged 60 miles per US gallon for the entire trip but would have been higher if I'd done less high speed Interstate. As reported here the Metzelers worked great on the street less so in the dirt, they have over 11,000 km on them and still have plenty of wear left. The Heidenaus worked well off road and with 3000km on them show little wear.
I lubed the chain every 2000km and only adjusted once for the trip it shows no appreciable wear in spite of very dusty off road conditions (very little rain tho).
Suspension worked well everywhere with minor adjustments required my advice to those thinking of spending the money on the fork mod is unless you are doing hard core single track or jumps use the money for a nice trip instead. I mean really will the stock suspension actually stop you going somewhere? In a worst case scenario the most it will do is slow you down a bit in a really bad section.
The seat was not the best I've sat on but not bad I did a couple of 1600 km days. The headlight was surprisingly good and the stock windshield/handguards although small provided reasonable protection.
Engine was smooth and felt like it had enough power everywhere although another gear would have been nice on the Interstates. During the trip I road with a variety of bikes at different times 1200GS, 650GS (twin), KLR, and Multistrada and it held its own against them all.
Things I don't like a little- a bigger fuel tank would have been nice I was running about 200 miles on a tank of gas. The stock footpegs as already mentioned are narrow and uncomfortable standing or after long days on the road.
Things I didn't like a lot - the tool kit that comes with the bike does not include the tools required for basic maintenance like front wheel removal for example (what happens if you get a flat? I had two). And finally that ridiculous sidestand I mean what were they thinking? I can't imagine how that made it through R&D one mount or dismount should have pointed out the obvious flaw. I did the hockey puck mod (I am Canadian)which made it tolerable but only barely. I'll have to come up with a better mod now that I'm back.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #320
Davnic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks nomad did not think of looking for a Dakar stand.
Thanks africa twin for your comments theirs allot of good information in there for me.
Davnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #321
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
My buddy is running the pivot pegs on his F8 and he loves them. I have a big foot so I thought the fastways with the height adjustment would be for me but I am psyched to see that the pp's have adjustment too.
Thanks
They're cheaper too:)
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #322
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,868
I have the PivotPegz on my 03 Dakar...

...Mine are the wider version and yes you can lower them by swapping them left-to-right and vice versa. I previously had Fastways on the same bike and they were nice as sell.

A note about the PivotPegz... even though they rock back and forth, it's not as much as you might think. I still have to hook my toe around in dirt bike boots to upshift while standing. Where it really is nice is when standing long periods of time stretching with toes pointed down, for me anyway.

Even though these are wider (front to back) than the stock pegs, they need to be wider (extending outward from the frame) to keep my knees from rubbing on the sides of the faux tank and seat. I'll probably have someone weld extensions to the outside of the pegs eventually to compensate for this.

Another very pricey upgrade that I had before my bike was wrecked and sold off when I thought it was gonna be totaled was the Touratech footpeg relocation kit, which moved the pegs back a couple of inches. The kit included shorter brake and shift levers to compensate for the pegs being further back. When I had that kit on the bike it was noticeably better handling whilst standing... mainly it would track better in sandy or muddy conditions because you were putting more weight on the rear and less on the front.

But I doubt I'd get another kit cuz they now cost like $380 before shipping now and it's not really necessary. When I bought the kit five years ago I think it was under $300 shipped.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #323
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondogger View Post
Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum.

I'm interested in the Sertao and was wondering if anyone here has purchased one with the tall seat option?

I talked to one dealer here in Los Angeles and they said they don't have control over what the factory sends them.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Alex
Hey Moondogger how tall are you? I'm 6' 2" and the regular seat is a good height for me. If you are taller you may want to go with the higher seat option.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #324
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Nice..

Africa Twin,

Nice write up but no one believes you because you have no pictures to prove your trip . Come on, lad... let's see it..
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #325
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Africa Twin, I to enjoyed your trip report, I do not have the new Sertao, but I have just purchased a 2001 Dakar that is completely stock, not one upgrade. I have been riding Dual Sport bikes for years and I don't due much upgrading to my bikes other then bags, tail rack, handguards, tires, things that are needed for the trip. I do not upgrade my suspension on the bike that I'm riding, if my stock suspension doesn't fit the bike or the type of riding that I will be doing, I change to a bike that will fit my needs. I'm pretty much done with single track riding so a lot of upgrades are not needed for my type of riding. I think your posting for the type of ride you did is about the same type of riding that I do and I'm glad to see that your Sertao did the job well.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #326
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
The seat was not the best I've sat on but not bad I did a couple of 1600 km days.
Yeah, I agree. I can't go more than a couple of hours on it without a long rest. You must have a butt of steel.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #327
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Sad to report that I am having my first unscheduled maintenance today. The dealer is coming out to pick up the bike. It was idling in the driveway last weekend and all of a sudden there was a big puff of smoke from underneath. I looked and couldn't see anything at first and then I noticed an oil leak. It was dropping stright onto the exhaust. I'm still having some starting issues and am having the dealer take a look at that as well. The new battery didn't help. I installed a voltage meter and at 12V the starter will engage and turn the engine all day long, but no fire.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #328
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Odd, you think there'd be no mechanical issues on a bike that's been basically produced for the past 12 years. Hope they sort it for you soon.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #329
Moondogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namecheck View Post
Hey Moondogger how tall are you? I'm 6' 2" and the regular seat is a good height for me. If you are taller you may want to go with the higher seat option.
I'm 6'3". I sat on the bike at the dealer and it felt OK, but thought a taller seat might be more comfortable.
Moondogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #330
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Africa Twin,

Great info - thank you for sharing.

Couple of questions:

Do you think carrying two 1-gallon Rotopax fuel cans (or similar - about 2 gallons) would be sufficient to make up for the too-small factory fuel tank?

Did you carry any extra fuel, or were you able to get by OK?

-Thanks.
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote