Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #331
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davnic View Post
Ok thanks for everyone's input the decision has been made to buy the Sertao. I spoke with the dealer today about a centre stand and it looks like BMW dont make one. He has suggested the G650S stand as it will fit but not sure if it will give enough height. Has anyone here put one on and thoughts? I'm not to sure if any after market one is available yet.
Thanks,
The BMW stand from the G650GS will NOT fit, its too short. I tried! SW Moto or Touratech make center stands.

Congrats on the decision, its an awesome bike, you wont regret it!
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #332
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Dont see them for the G650GS

So does anyone know which one fits? I dont see any of them listed for a G650GS, I do see the for the f650 single until 2007. Not sure, just sent a email to the Pegz dudes.

thanks..

[QUOTE=twinrider;18376916]Not true.

World's #1 High Performance Pivoting Footpegs

The height of Pivot Pegz® is adjustable on most motorcycle models by simply interchanging the left and right Mount Assemblies. It is a simple task and takes less than 10 minutes and the end result is that you can lower your Pivot Pegz® by up to 10mm.
Due to the pivoting nature of Pivot Pegz® the riding position feels less cramped and for this reason we recommend that customers test ride Pivot Pegz® in the normal configuration before lowering them. If after test riding the rider still desires more room then the lowering option is always available.
NOTE: By lowering your pegs you may feel less cramped but we recommend using them in the standard configuation because lower pegs equals lower ground clearance which means you get more drag in the ruts and also increase your chance of hitting or snagging objects such as rocks and logs. As mentioned above the lowering option is available for most bikes (not all) and ultimatley the 'Lowering' decision rest you.
If you need more information or Tech Support on this topic email us via our contact us page.

http://pivotpegz.net/height.html
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #333
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
So does anyone know which one fits? I dont see any of them listed for a G650GS, I do see the for the f650 single until 2007. Not sure, just sent a email to the Pegz dudes.

thanks..
That is the one. It is the same peg that would fit the 2007 F650GS Single. Same part number that TT has advertised as well.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #334
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Same issue

I'll be getting the Touratech center stand as well. It's a nice product I'm sure like everything else they make - and I'm sure it won't be cheap but alot better then not being able to fix your bike in the middle of nowhere.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #335
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namecheck View Post
I'll be getting the Touratech center stand as well. It's a nice product I'm sure like everything else they make - and I'm sure it won't be cheap but alot better then not being able to fix your bike in the middle of nowhere.
Make sure you read the installation instructions from the TT web site, not the ones that come with it. Much easier to install.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #336
Davnic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
The BMW stand from the G650GS will NOT fit, its too short. I tried! SW Moto or Touratech make center stands.

Congrats on the decision, its an awesome bike, you wont regret it!
Thanks i will be getting the SW moto stand as it works out allot cheaper than the touratech just waiting on a reply for delivery time so i will get the dealer to fit it before i pick the bike up.
Pics not to good will get some clearer pics after delivery.
http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q483/gssertao/
Davnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #337
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Africa Twin,

Nice write up but no one believes you because you have no pictures to prove your trip . Come on, lad... let's see it..
I will once i figure out how to do it the old system where u just attached them to the post was much easier
africa twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #338
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post
Africa Twin,

Great info - thank you for sharing.

Couple of questions:

Do you think carrying two 1-gallon Rotopax fuel cans (or similar - about 2 gallons) would be sufficient to make up for the too-small factory fuel tank?

Did you carry any extra fuel, or were you able to get by OK?

-Thanks.
I just had a 4 litre (1 Gal) can strapped to the back rack that I bought at a gas station down there. Rather than taking it off to refill I had a short piece of clear hose and I'd siphon into the tank when necessary. This gave me a total range of about 400km. If i can figure out how to do it I'll post a pic
africa twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #339
Davnic
Adventurer

Bike photos dont know if this will work. Pick up next week if i can get the SW moto stand organised. Africa twin go to a picture hosting site and upload photos then link in your reply with the button that looks like a letter, i used photobucket.

Davnic screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 08:02 AM Reason: help
Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #340
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Ya, use photobucket to upload pictures, then there is a direct link address with each picture you can use to paste in here.

On an unrelated note, why does that Sertao have to rear mud guard on the tire? I've never seen one before, but I know the old Dakars had them.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #341
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ya, use photobucket to upload pictures, then there is a direct link address with each picture you can use to paste in here.

On an unrelated note, why does that Sertao have to rear mud guard on the tire? I've never seen one before, but I know the old Dakars had them.
Mine didn't come with one. Check on the invoice to see if it is an add-on.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #342
Davnic
Adventurer

Quote:

The mud guard seems to be an Australian thing, the G650 GS comes with one as well.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #343
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Pre Ride run...

All,

I took out the Sertao on a pre ride run with a buddy in the Pine Barrens, what a hoot! The bike is just right in it's elements, with the right Tires K60 scout tires with less air pressure for better grip and it was on. I would say we put in about 70-80 miles of pine barrens dirt roads. A few water crossings of overflowed marshes that went high into the engine level. Encountered many places with deep sugar sand and some single track with a heck of alot of whoops. Lost my flow on one of the whoops that was filled with water/mud front tire slipped took me off the path a bit . Overall great ride, next weekend is the actual Dual Sport ride which will cover 200 miles of just dirt with some Hero sections. I'm happy with my choice in Moto, this bike is going to be a hoot. We just rode and everytime we saw an interesting road we just turned to it and gunned it... Fun...

alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #344
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Center Stand options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davnic View Post
Ok thanks for everyone's input the decision has been made to buy the Sertao. I spoke with the dealer today about a centre stand and it looks like BMW dont make one. He has suggested the G650S stand as it will fit but not sure if it will give enough height. Has anyone here put one on and thoughts? I'm not to sure if any after market one is available yet.
Thanks,
I am sure the G650 GS center stand will bolt on but it wont work at all because it wont be able to raise the tires off the ground. Touratech makes a center stand for the Dakar that should work fine and you can also get a shield that clamps onto it and protects you rear suspension nicely. Heres the link http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...S-Dakar-Sertao
I nearly died when I saw the price. Maybe BMW still sells the Dakar stand from 2007??
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #345
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298
SW MOTECH has the Dakar Centerstand. It's the same bike- different sticker.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/317/
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote