Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #376
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
My apologies slide. I thought it was stalling.

I've so far had 1000 no problem miles, my shifting has been fine and neutral has been pretty easy to find. I don't baby my motorcycles and this weekend it will see a lot of sand and water crossings. Hopefully, mine stays trouble free but will let you know if I run into problems.

Keep us in the loop on your issues if it continues.
I echo that, my transmission is now silky smooth, just appeared to need to be worked in for 50 or so kms. I adjusted the shift lever up and can now slide through all the gears seamlessly. One of the main reasons I purchased this bike is its historical bulletproof reliability - time will tell on that one, but so far im really liking this ride.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #377
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by allumida View Post
I have installed the original BMW low fender from the standard G650GS. It was half the price of the TT part and does the same job.
Sweet! thanks
How does it mount up with the fork brace being right there?

kdennan screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 07:22 AM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #378
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Yeah, I got 215Km on my first full tank before the reserve kicked in, I want to see how long the reserve will go, but I read its bad to run a FI bike dry.?

I figured I could probably stretch the stock bike to 300km, which is good, but not great compared to the 450 you can get with a KLR. I'll keep a 1G rotopax strapped to the back on long trips to extend the range another 50-100km.

Also, I'm thinking the mileage will get a bit better as the bike is broken in.

Other than that I learned how much of a PITA taking the battery terminal off last night were. I arched my wrench from the + terminal to the handlebar and caused a nice explosion of sparks, I'm glad i didnt fry anything.

Does anyone know if there is a service manual available for the Sertao, I would love to get a Clymer manual, but I dont think they make them...yet.
I got the dvd manual from BMW. It is for the G650GS. same engine of course. I just did my first oil change myself at 1,000miles. just have to undo the reservoir for the rear shock to get at the filter. No biggie. So far I have found my bike to start fine. I do wait for the gauges to set most of the time.
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #379
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I got the dvd manual from BMW. It is for the G650GS. same engine of course. I just did my first oil change myself at 1,000miles. just have to undo the reservoir for the rear shock to get at the filter. No biggie. So far I have found my bike to start fine. I do wait for the gauges to set most of the time.
Nice, how much did they charge you for the dvd manual? I'm guessing they will have the Sertao version out soon enough.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #380
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Nice, how much did they charge you for the dvd manual? I'm guessing they will have the Sertao version out soon enough.
You can download an F650GS manual for free. Nearly all the maintenance should be the same.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3824768/BM...nglish-Version
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #381
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
You can download an F650GS manual for free. Nearly all the maintenance should be the same.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3824768/BM...nglish-Version

Its saying I need an account, I created one, now its saying I need to pay.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #382
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
First Service..

Looking online for some info on what BMW does during first service and found this: Pretty clear, it's a Oil change/filter and a look over of the entire bike. I think I got quoted about $200 parts/labor and I can wait for it while I drink coffee and look around the shop.

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/DocumentMis...0 Mile Service

Just thought it's an interesting read, you can decide yourself if you want to get dirty or not.
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #383
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Starting Problem Solved

Hey guys,

Took the advice of my dealership and somebody from the forum and waited until all my lights went out before I pressed the ignition button. My battery seems to be recovering faster now with no problems after riding all day. Break-in for the gearbox also seems to be getting better. Apparently the rotax engine is built so solidly it can take up to 1k miles before all the gears settle perfectly (ie, find neutral easily etc.).
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #384
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
I've had the starting issues since day 1. ..... I took it out of the garage last week after only sitting for five days and it would turn over all day long, but would not start. The voltage meter still read 12.0 volts after several attempts to start it. It has been my limited experience around engines, that if it turns over, it should start. But unless the battery is fully charged, mine won't start. I hope to get an update from the dealer today.
Just a thought (based on something that happened with my G650GS). If you have the side stand extended you must have the neutral light lit and the clutch pulled in before the engine will fire. It will crank like crazy but not fire a lick. You can be in neutral but if the light is not on it does not count. Evidently there is a pretty complicated safety arrangement between the clutch lever, the neutral light, and the side stand.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #385
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namecheck View Post
Hey guys,

Took the advice of my dealership and somebody from the forum and waited until all my lights went out before I pressed the ignition button. My battery seems to be recovering faster now with no problems after riding all day. Break-in for the gearbox also seems to be getting better. Apparently the rotax engine is built so solidly it can take up to 1k miles before all the gears settle perfectly (ie, find neutral easily etc.).

I believe the engine is now assembled by Loncin in China not Rotax in Austria.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #386
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
My understanding is the parts are still built by Rotax in Austria, shipped in parts to Loncin (in China) for assembly, then back to Berlin for mounting.

With rising fuel costs, I'm surprised the economics are still there to move parts around the world back and forth. I would predict in the future they will setup more localized or at least centralized manufacturing.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #387
MadVenTur7
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Is height a big issue?

Evening all,

I've been lurking here and on the G650GS threads, reading up on what everyone thinks about these bikes. I really like the looks of both, but have a question. I was wondering if there are any Sertao owners that stand under 5'11" (and are ok admitting that)? The taller suspension and seat height is the primary thing keeping me from going all-in on the Sertao. If there are any owners around the 5'10" range, how do you find standing the bike upright on less than ideal footing? (i.e. NOT on the showroom floor that's level, clean, and warm...)

Thanks!

MadV
MadVenTur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #388
MrZip2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
Don't be put off that the engine is assembled in China - The chineese assembly is done using parts supplied by "Rotax" - In fact the engine is now put together with even tighter tollerences then the Austrians used.

This is abundently clear when comparing the old "Dakar" against the new "Sertao" The Sertao engine is so much smoother. The Sertao is a supurb machine
MrZip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #389
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVenTur7 View Post
Evening all,

I've been lurking here and on the G650GS threads, reading up on what everyone thinks about these bikes. I really like the looks of both, but have a question. I was wondering if there are any Sertao owners that stand under 5'11" (and are ok admitting that)? The taller suspension and seat height is the primary thing keeping me from going all-in on the Sertao. If there are any owners around the 5'10" range, how do you find standing the bike upright on less than ideal footing? (i.e. NOT on the showroom floor that's level, clean, and warm...)

Thanks!

MadV
My GF is 5'7" and rode my Dakar all the time. We just made her standard GS a Dakar and she has no problem handling the bike standing or moving. She has the lower GS seat so it helps a bit but even without she has no problem and she's a buck twenty five.....So give it a shot.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #390
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip2 View Post
Don't be put off that the engine is assembled in China - The chineese assembly is done using parts supplied by "Rotax" - In fact the engine is now put together with even tighter tollerences then the Austrians used.

This is abundently clear when comparing the old "Dakar" against the new "Sertao" The Sertao engine is so much smoother. The Sertao is a supurb machine
I wasn't implying there is a problem with Chinese manufacturing any more than a problem with the original F650's being made in Italy. As long as BMW do their QA right there shouldn't be any appreciable difference. I was only making a point of accuracy.