Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #406
MrZip2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooka View Post
This is a bike on my consideration list as I am going to buy this spring. I am also planning to head south so I am wondering about quality of gas on how the bike handles it. Any experience out there with low octane yet?

thanks ahead of time,
Jooka
From what I can tell, the Sertao uses "Regular" unleaded (87 Octane) this is what I put in on it's first fill up. I'm wondering if this is different from what I used to put in my 2001 F 650 (sold in 2009)

MrZip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #407
allumida
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I thought the standard Dakar seat is the high seat. At least that's how it was sold here in Japan, with the option being the low seat, aka standard F650GS seat.
You're right, the standard F650GS Dakar seat is the G650GS Sertao high seat. But when you install the high seat to the Sertao the height increases by 40mm. The difference is the shape of the seats. When you look from the side you can see the difference. Next week I get my high seat.

allumida screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 04:24 AM
allumida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #408
mimo523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
This is a bike on my consideration list as I am going to buy this spring. I am also planning to head south so I am wondering about quality of gas on how the bike handles it. Any experience out there with low octane yet?

thanks ahead of time,
Jooka
The manual says to use 87 octane, I have been using it for 1200 miles now and it runs great
mimo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #409
mimo523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolechalupa View Post
Quick question for you owners. What do you think of the stock seat? Does it get uncomfortable after a while??? Some bikes you can tell almost immediately that you'll need a seat upgrade.
Thanks
BIGO
The stock seat is awful. It slopes forward so as Im riding I keep getting pushed up against the front. I had the '03 F650GS and its basically the same shape and same thing is happenening. On my old bike I took all the staples out and took the cover off and cut the foam out to level it and reshape it and put in some softer foam, then pulled it all tight and restapled it and it turned out great. Its a big job but it was worth it. Im looking at aftermarket or doing the same thing to this one.
mimo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #410
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by allumida View Post
You're right, the standard F650GS Dakar seat is the G650GS Sertao high seat. But when you install the high seat to the Sertao the height increases by 40mm. The difference is the shape of the seats. When you look from the side you can see the difference. Next week I get my high seat.
I ran the Dakar seat on my standard F650GS and now on my Dakar. Agree it is far more comfortable.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #411
Jooka
I grow everywhere

Oddometer: 28
I like to run higher octane personally but knowing it handles the lower when it is not available bumps it up on the list.

thanks,
Jooka
Jooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #412
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,232
Quote:
I like to run higher octane personally but knowing it handles the lower when it is not available bumps it up on the list.

thanks,
Jooka
At first I ran regular gas but I noticed the engine pulls better from low rpms with premium so that's what I use now.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #413
MrZip2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Picked up the new bike this weekend

Here's a couple of pics of the new bike. I didn't have to add alot of farkles but I did add the Denali "led" lights, BMW Top Case, BMW Dakar seat, SW Motec Center Stand and a Diablo/Fundango tank bag by Giant Loop out of Bend OR. I was happy that the Sertao came with heated grips, skid plate, hand gards, and tall windscreen, these were all items I would have purchased if they hadn't already been on the bike.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MrZip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #414
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Wink

Exploring some roads in the Catskills..
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #415
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
has anyone had/heard of the front fork faliure on these.? they have the same front fork as the standard g650gs correct?
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #416
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Exploring some roads in the Catskills..
I think you need to get an auto focus camera.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #417
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
Wasn't a stalling issue, it was a starting issue. I would leave the house and go to the nearest gas station. Numerous times it has been very difficult to start and once left me stranded 120 miles from home. It will fire right up if jumped. The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. That was after the fully charged the battery.
This starting issue has been going on for some time and has affected alot of us G650GS owners. Just have a look at f650.co.uk and go into the g650gs section you will see the scale of the problem. Usual symptom bike gets warm you go to fill up or stop some were for ten minutes and bike won't start. Sometimes have to wait about an hour before it starts again. Bad news is there is no real fix at the moment they are meant to be changing balance weights and longer decompression lever to solve the problem, don't ask me what they are though. As I said this problem goes back to August 2011 and still no fix
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #418
Davnic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Congrats on the purchase, mine comes home Monday.
How did you mount the Denali lights and are you happy with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip2 View Post
Here's a couple of pics of the new bike. I didn't have to add alot of farkles but I did add the Denali "led" lights, BMW Top Case, BMW Dakar seat, SW Motec Center Stand and a Diablo/Fundango tank bag by Giant Loop out of Bend OR. I was happy that the Sertao came with heated grips, skid plate, hand gards, and tall windscreen, these were all items I would have purchased if they hadn't already been on the bike.

Davnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #419
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo523 View Post
The stock seat is awful. It slopes forward so as Im riding I keep getting pushed up against the front. I had the '03 F650GS and its basically the same shape and same thing is happenening. On my old bike I took all the staples out and took the cover off and cut the foam out to level it and reshape it and put in some softer foam, then pulled it all tight and restapled it and it turned out great. Its a big job but it was worth it. Im looking at aftermarket or doing the same thing to this one.
I think the stock seat is really comfortable if you are a normal size guy. Just took a long ride this weekend and it holds you right where you should be center of gravity wise.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #420
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Run the lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
At first I ran regular gas but I noticed the engine pulls better from low rpms with premium so that's what I use now.
Run the lower octane gas. Running higher octane gas does not do anything if the engine does not require it, you are only burning money. The quality of the gas is what is important.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote