User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #421
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Fuel Carry

Has anyone started added additional fuel carry to their bikes? I wanted to add some for a future ride but I'm a little torn as to where the best spot would be.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #422
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Axle F, A riding buddy of mine purchased a new 2009 650 X Country, had the same starting problem. After many times back to the dealer to find the problem and they never could locate it, he being a pretty good mechanical person himself he finally figured it had to be the injector or a electrical problem to the injector. He called BMW (Germany) and talked with their R&D Dept. and they told him that some injectors had been sticking closed because of heat, but upon cooling off they would loosen and then let the engine restart. There answer was that after the injector was broken in this would free up by the lubrication of the gas running through it and this would put and end to the starting problem. My buddies answer to the problem was to run a 50-50 mix of 2-cycle through a tank of gas on the bike, this would free up the injector and lub the parts inside. Well it worked, one tank with a 50-50 mix and it's never happened again. This guy owns 6 BMW's and does all repairs himself, so he knows what he is doing.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #423
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Easy Fix - Battery and Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel F View Post
This starting issue has been going on for some time and has affected alot of us G650GS owners. Just have a look at f650.co.uk and go into the g650gs section you will see the scale of the problem. Usual symptom bike gets warm you go to fill up or stop some were for ten minutes and bike won't start. Sometimes have to wait about an hour before it starts again. Bad news is there is no real fix at the moment they are meant to be changing balance weights and longer decompression lever to solve the problem, don't ask me what they are though. As I said this problem goes back to August 2011 and still no fix

1. Have fully charged battery
2. Turn on bike - let bike do full cycle, all lights extinguish etc.
3. Start

If you start your bike like that all the time the problem will go away. I just had the same problem and that fixed it. My mechanic told me the bike likes to say "hello" and do its checks before being started.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #424
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Axle F, A riding buddy of mine purchased a new 2009 650 X Country, had the same starting problem. After many times back to the dealer to find the problem and they never could locate it, he being a pretty good mechanical person himself he finally figured it had to be the injector or a electrical problem to the injector. He called BMW (Germany) and talked with their R&D Dept. and they told him that some injectors had been sticking closed because of heat, but upon cooling off they would loosen and then let the engine restart. There answer was that after the injector was broken in this would free up by the lubrication of the gas running through it and this would put and end to the starting problem. My buddies answer to the problem was to run a 50-50 mix of 2-cycle through a tank of gas on the bike, this would free up the injector and lub the parts inside. Well it worked, one tank with a 50-50 mix and it's never happened again. This guy owns 6 BMW's and does all repairs himself, so he knows what he is doing.

John

Hmmmm... Are you sure of that mix ratio? In my dirt bikes I would a 20:1 on new bikes and fresh top ends, then 40:1 to 50:1 after break-in. If he was running 1/2 oil and 1/2 gas 2:1, I just dont see the bike being able to run. Was it a 1/2 batch of pre-mixed gas and the other 1/2 straight gas?

If this really helps out, BMW could save some time buy having the dealers toss a cup of 2 stroke mix each new bike before delivery to the customers.

So far no starting issues with my bike.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #425
mimo523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namecheck View Post
I think the stock seat is really comfortable if you are a normal size guy. Just took a long ride this weekend and it holds you right where you should be center of gravity wise.
I'm 5' 7" and not overweight at all, maybe a bit short but normal sized and Im definitely not the only one who has complained about the seat and sloping forward
mimo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #426
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo523 View Post
I'm 5' 7" and not overweight at all, maybe a bit short but normal sized and Im definitely not the only one who has complained about the seat and sloping forward
The seat sucks for anything over 100 miles! My arse gets numb after a while, I'll hold on to it till September then Renazco will do a make over of my seat.

As to starting issues, none at all. I have 1300 miles and climbing. First service is this Saturday morning in Max BMW, then I'll go explore some more roads afterwards. Overall, the bike has been a hoot and it does everything I tell it to do without hesistation. I'll like to add its great on the Interstate even following bigger bikes, it can hold its own .

Slider, hows it going with your starting issues has it gone bye, bye? Or does it still exist? Hope your having fun on it eitherway..
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #427
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo523 View Post
The stock seat is awful. It slopes forward so as Im riding I keep getting pushed up against the front. I had the '03 F650GS and its basically the same shape and same thing is happenening. On my old bike I took all the staples out and took the cover off and cut the foam out to level it and reshape it and put in some softer foam, then pulled it all tight and restapled it and it turned out great. Its a big job but it was worth it. Im looking at aftermarket or doing the same thing to this one.
I'm working with Seat Concepts to make a flat seat for the 650's. I suggested thay could put it into their production lineup and I'm sure there would be customers for their Sertao's and earlier versions even.

I sent them a pic of this 800GS Enduro seat as a guideline.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/bmwwsf800enduro.htm

I'll keep you posted
Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #428
mimo523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I'm working with Seat Concepts to make a flat seat for the 650's. I suggested thay could put it into their production lineup and I'm sure there would be customers for their Sertao's and earlier versions even.

I sent them a pic of this 800GS Enduro seat as a guideline.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/bmwwsf800enduro.htm

I'll keep you posted
That's great, I would definitely be interested. One problem for me would be I cant have the seat any higher than the stock seat, in fact I would like it to be a little shorter if anything
mimo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #429
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,757
hard to get flat and low at the same time.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #430
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
He says, he purchased a bottle of Echo 50:1 and mixed it as per instructions on the bottle.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #431
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Axle F, A riding buddy of mine purchased a new 2009 650 X Country, had the same starting problem. Finally figured it had to be the injector or a electrical problem to the injector. He called BMW (Germany) and talked with their R&D Dept. and they told him that some injectors had been sticking closed because of heat, but upon cooling off they would loosen and then let the engine restart.
John interesting info about the injectors will post this info on f650.co.uk if you don't mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namecheck View Post
1. Have fully charged battery
2. Turn on bike - let bike do full cycle, all lights extinguish etc.
3. Start

If you start your bike like that all the time the problem will go away. I just had the same problem and that fixed it. My mechanic told me the bike likes to say "hello" and do its checks before being started.
John believe me all these things you mention have been tried there is a few in the uk who have had new bikes over the issue, someone got refund and another has done a deal to swap to an F800GS.

I will follow your advice though and see I it works for me,

Thanks
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #432
Moondogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
OTD Price

I don't want to start the "What'd you pay?" game, but I had a dealer quote me $9,998 OTD for the bike here in Los Angeles, CA. Is this a fair price in your opinion?

I'd like to know what others are paying for their bikes.

Thanks!

-Alex
Moondogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #433
rooster1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondogger View Post
I don't want to start the "What'd you pay?" game, but I had a dealer quote me $9,998 OTD for the bike here in Los Angeles, CA. Is this a fair price in your opinion?

I'd like to know what others are paying for their bikes.

Thanks!

-Alex
$9200 and a $100 store credit
heated hand grips, other than that stock bike.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #434
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,373
you guys have it so lucky with the cheaper prices... Im getting so annoyed with the price of things here... grrr
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #435
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
He says, he purchased a bottle of Echo 50:1 and mixed it as per instructions on the bottle.

John
Coolio..... Just for the hell of it last night I tossed in a cap full of Redline 2 stroke mix in with some Seafoam. So far I have not had any probles, but why not give it a shot anyway.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote