Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #451
pmrowczy

Oddometer: n/a
Hi!

My first post here and I recently picked up a 2012 Sertao (last month) and it's getting it's first 800 mile service. So far, having a blast in the Tahoe area, and this bike has done everything well enough out here that I don't feel (too) bad choosing it over an F800GS.

So far, not large list of modifications:

Garmin Montana 650T w/ associated RAM mount
Lamin-X headlight film (this 3M film has done wonders on my other vehicles, no yellowing, scratches, etc.)
Moose GS foot pegs
SW-Motech Center Stand
Touratech adjustable clutch lever (size 13 boots!)
Touratech Fairing and Engine guards
Touratech Headlight Protector
Touratech Pannier Rack

The HIDs just got here, and the Ortlieb QL motobags should be here next week. Have a Wolfman tank, seat and tail bag coming in too (as I don't like having to strap down a luggage with packing straps but they sure do a good job!) And because I do know I'm going to bust those side lights one day, picked up a set of Touratech ones on the flexible stalks.

The good:
Recently did a 6 hour trip (250 miles) from California (San Jose) to Nevada (Tahoe) taking a combination of city and back highway (e.g. 4 to 88). Seat is comfy enough for 2+ hour stints as long as I remembered to sit a wee bit back (tendency to slide forward). Heated grips around 6000' - 9000' and higher (Highway 88 / Kirkwood) were great.

Fuel economy started off at 50MPG (ick! I thought something was wrong!) but got better and now I'm seeing about 60-65.

Same thing with the fit. Initially it felt high, but with a bit of time and a load (250lbs total) things have settled down really nicely.

The windscreen serves it's purpose well up to 70 mph for me. If it is windy, I'm still going to get an increase in wind noise. Also at 60-65mph and sitting upright I do get smacked in the noggin with juicy bugs in the central valley.

The bad:
In San Jose, I had oil coming out from under the cap. At first I thought it was loose (it was) but the next couple of days it still would weep. Initially I thought I was slipping the clutch a bit too much and it was a hot day, but checking with the service manager (Sierra BMW) he stated there might be an issue with the manufacture of the tanks. Hopefully it gets resolved and I don't have to think I'm doing something wrong.

Also, I'm thinking new transmission but sometimes it's in neutral, but the light isn't on. Getting it into neutral has gotten better though!

Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions, gotchas, ideas (haha, 500+ posts on this and the F650 / Dakar thread) drop them! This board and these few monster threads have been a godsend in helping understand and figure out what's going on.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #452
Mike in Oregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
pmrowczy, thanks for the post. Can you be more specific with the oil leak? Was oil leaking out from the oil cap on the engine case where you put oil into the engine? Also can you elaborate on the "manufacture tank issue"? Do you mean the fuel tank??

Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #453
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrowczy View Post
The bad:
In San Jose, I had oil coming out from under the cap. At first I thought it was loose (it was) but the next couple of days it still would weep. Initially I thought I was slipping the clutch a bit too much and it was a hot day, but checking with the service manager (Sierra BMW) he stated there might be an issue with the manufacture of the tanks. Hopefully it gets resolved and I don't have to think I'm doing something wrong.
I have noticed a similar oil issue on my G650GS 2011 (non-Sertao). A small amount seems to weep out from around the filler cap. Will ask dealer about it when it goes in for first (break-in) service.

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #454
pmrowczy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Oregon View Post
pmrowczy, thanks for the post. Can you be more specific with the oil leak? Was oil leaking out from the oil cap on the engine case where you put oil into the engine? Also can you elaborate on the "manufacture tank issue"? Do you mean the fuel tank??

Thanks
Yeah, where the you put oil in (and where you measure how much oil is in the engine). Got the bike back and the guys sanded down the filler spout itself to hopefully make a better seal. Failing that, they're willing to go for another tank / spout.

I'm going for another long drive to California and see what happens. I did do 120 miles today, but it was nice and cool (50's), and there wasn't any problem.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #455
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I went to measure the oil after it had been sitting all week. It was dry. The oil didn't even make it to the stick. So I drove down to the nearest gas station to get a quart. When I unscrewed the cap, it measured full. So make sure you run the bike for a minute before you measure. If you add oil after it has been sitting, you may be overfilling. Just something I learned the other day.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #456
pmrowczy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
I went to measure the oil after it had been sitting all week. It was dry. The oil didn't even make it to the stick. So I drove down to the nearest gas station to get a quart. When I unscrewed the cap, it measured full. So make sure you run the bike for a minute before you measure. If you add oil after it has been sitting, you may be overfilling. Just something I learned the other day.
Yup. Found that out early from the various threads. When I first got it home, I couldn't see a lick of oil in there and actually saw the bottom of the tank. Followed instructions (let it run for minutes) and it looked like things were fine. Fine being the oil level at temperature being measurable via the dip stick.

Didn't add a drop though. And for the first day or so, not a problem - not until it got warm.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #457
Mike in Oregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Glad your dealer seems open to helping you pmrowcrzy. Must be a possible goof in the casting of the threads in the filler neck. Yep, with the dry sump engines, gotta check oil when you've just arrived home after riding. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #458
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I just replaced my oil tank on my 2001 Dakar for an oil leak in the seam where the two halves go together, now I don't think that this is your problem because if it was you would see oil leaking for sure. One thing that the Dakar tank has is a third line to the engine, it is a small vent line, there is the inlet, outlet, and a vent line that go to the engine. The regular 650 GS does not have this third line setup and the tanks are different for the Dakar and the standard 650 GS. Don't know if the Sertao has this type of setup or not, but just thinking if it did the vent line could not be working properly, or possibly plugged and not letting the oil return properly to the tank, just a thought. My vent line makes two Sharp 90 degree bents and could possibility kink, don't know. I would think that the dealer could take loose the oil return line to the tank and see if it is pumping the oil back into the tank when the engine is running, they would also have to be putting oil in the tank at the same time so the engine does not run out of oil and damage the engine. There is not too much it could be, either the oil return pump or a clogged line.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #459
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Slide how's your bike holding up, still having problems with starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #460
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Weather has been pretty crappy the last couple of weeks so riding has been limited.. I also ordered the Seat Concepts seat, which took me a week to get installed. I have yet to ride it though for a ride report. I'm also going to try the 2 cycle suggestion. The starting issue seemed to be worse when it was cold out (mid 30s or below). Now that it is warming up, I really don't expect to have any more problems until it starts getting cold out again.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #461
allumida
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrowczy View Post

The bad:

I had the same issue with my Sertao. It was dry for the first 500 km and then it started leaking at the filler cap. During the 1000 km inspection it was checked by my dealer and he found a manufacturing problem on the seat for the o-ring of the filler cap. The oil tank was replaced without further costs. It looks like they have a quality issue there.
allumida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #462
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Still hesitated this morning to start after I stopped to get gas. Haven't added the 2 stroke oil yet.

The seat is just plain awesome! Little to no translated vibration, soft and cushy like you are sitting on your very own cloud, and doesn't push you forward into the tank. Has to be the best money I have spent to date on this bike. The install was a PITA. It is well worth the extra $20 to let them install it if you can be without your bike for that long.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #463
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Slide, sorry to hear your still having starting issues. I'm crossing my fingers but mine has been fine and I'm at 2000 miles and climbing.

As to the seat, do you have s pic of it on the Sertão?

Thanks
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #464
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Mine has been sitting out in freezing temperatures and I have had no issues. I even tried to start it while its performing the startup and had no issues.

^^^ I'd also be curious on seeing a pic of the seat. My Dakar seat should be in any day, just didnt like the stock seat.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #465
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
Durden what's your inseam? Just curious to see if the Dakar seat will work for me when I get the bike. Thanks.
Im about 5'11 1/2", inseam about 31" seat arrives tomorrow, I'll post some feedback on it.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote