Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #826
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVenTur7 View Post
So I've had the Sertao now for a month or so, only been able to commute on it, but I've put just a tic over 500 miles and I have to say I am very happy with my purchase. Like most, I am not a huge fan of the seat, but my 18 mile commute is bearable on it. I've had the opportunity to do some twisties on her, and she exceeded all my expectations for fun level, though it is taking some time to get used to the skinny-a$$ tires!! (I'm coming off a Duc 848)

I'm getting ready to order up the Touratech centerstand, and probably the Bags Connection quick-lock mount and tankbag. I'm a bit confused by the TwistedThrottle order system in that when I add the tankbag to the cart, there's a dropdown for a "lower ring"...but I was under the impression that I only needed the lower mount (mounts on the 4 screws holding the black plastic cover on the faux-tank) and the bag. Has anyone else put one of these on their Sertao (or standard G650GS)?

Also, I'm looking at the Happy-Trail panniers as I can't really afford the Zega's, mostly for commuting, but once I get to Texas this fall (so psyched!), I plan on doing some trail/dirt/fire/ranch road riding, and maybe a weekend camping trip or two, and I was hoping someone might have a set of the H-T bags on their Sertao and could comment on the quality of fit.

I'm excited to start modding the bike a bit as time and budget allow, and hope to have pics up soon.

Cheers,

MadV
I ordered a bags connection tank bag from Twisted Throttle for my Sertao. Basically you choose your bag and add it to your shopping cart you will then automatically have a top ring included. The top ring is the one that bolts to the bottom of the bag and as I said is automatically added and included free of charge. You also need to order the bottom ring (TT part # TRT.00640.20500.B I believe) this is the part that bolts to the 4 screws on the top of the bike"s faux-tank.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #827
dracomm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Dunlop 606

I want to put some more aggressive tires on my Sertao. I've always liked the Dunlop 606 but they only come in an 90 section height for the rear. That would add 1 inch on the diameter or 1/2 inch in height. Has anyone tried a 90 on the rear? Any problems with handling or clearance?

I just installed Jesse bags and I like them a lot so far.

NSA - the only government agency that listens to you.
dracomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #828
EMFC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
I ordered a bags connection tank bag from Twisted Throttle for my Sertao. Basically you choose your bag and add it to your shopping cart you will then automatically have a top ring included. The top ring is the one that bolts to the bottom of the bag and as I said is automatically added and included free of charge. You also need to order the bottom ring (TT part # TRT.00640.20500.B I believe) this is the part that bolts to the 4 screws on the top of the bike"s faux-tank.
Which bag are you guys talking about?
EMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #829
MadVenTur7
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMFC View Post
The Bags-Connection EVO "Daypack"

which requires the

Bags-Connection EVO Tank Ring Adapter Kit
for the Sertao.
MadVenTur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #830
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMFC View Post
I've got the bags connection Vina model. Its been really great.

africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #831
lockyv7
dont wish it, do it.

Oddometer: 1,004
Would anyone know if the luggage options, like Jesse's or Touratech or Happy trails are the same for the new Serato as they were for a 07 Dakar, could they be swapped over. These bikes look the same in the rear are they the same.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #832
EMFC
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVenTur7 View Post
Now this makes sense, time to get out the credit card.
EMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #833
bc_seattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Hello there! and on tires and panniers...

Hello fellow Sertao homies!

I sold my 1150GS…
Obsessed over the KTM 690R Enduro… (was sure I was going to buy this one)
And ended up with the Sertao and super stoked on it.
In the end I went with the Sertao because I was honest about the type of riding that I'm actually going to do, not what I fantasize to do. The 690 is an absolute hoot but is has a bit of a twitchy throttle at slow speeds and was frankly awful on the freeway between 60 - 70 mph (big time time scary handle bar swinging for me). I guess I'd describe the 690 as riding "angry" and the Sertao as "chill". And where I am in my life I'm not going to race and "chill" is good.

I picked up the Sertao Friday morning and headed out of town with three friends (two v-stroms and one G650GS). Rode pavement, dirt forest roads, and a bit of tough jeep track (the others had more road oriented tires so we ended up turning back and avoiding the more difficult stuff but I had a chance to sample the goods and the Sertao rocked it).

The Sertao did great. It is a terrific all a rounder that begs to explore terrain. In my opinion the fun factor is +++ over the 1150GS although it isn't the long haul bike that the 1150 is. I put in 850 miles over the weekend and am now 250 miles overdue for my 600 mile service which hopefully can happen this week.

Regarding questions on tires and panniers:

I set up the tires with a TKC 80 in the front and a Heidenau Scout in the rear. Super, super happy with this combo. I've run the TKC's before, they are great but the rear does wear a bit fast on pavement which you would of course expect. The TKC / Heidenau combo did awesome on and off road although I didn't encounter any wet pavement. The bike wiggles a bit in the 70mph + range but otherwise handled superbly.

I've previously had Jesse Bags (I bought them used) which are super solid but decided to go with the Touratech Zega Pro 38L side panniers. Expensive unfortunately but in my first experience I'm super happy with them and like them better than the Jesse Bags. My buddy has Caribou and those are a great choice too and come at a better price point than the Zega's.

Curious if anyone has used the Kriega Overlander ADV Platform on the Touratech frame? Budget allowing I'd like to someday have a soft bag option plus I like the idea of the Rotopax fuel cell.

Overall very happy with the Sertao. Two beefs:

#1: Wished the front (fake) tank where up higher… my legs are a big long to fit in the "leg groove" as it seems they should.

#2: Fuel capacity. ARRGGGHHH!!! Why oh why didn't BMW INCREASE the tank capacity from the Dakar, not decrease it? For the love of god, why make me constantly suffer fuel insecurity? Fuel light goes on at 150 miles, range appears to be 220ish miles but never tested it to empty. Low 60 mpg even in mixed terrain which is terrific. Would like more capacity short of buying the monster TT tank and would love to hear what others have done on extended fuel range.

Would like to do the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route this year (summer?) and would be curious to hear any experiences anyone has had.

Thanks!

BC
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #834
thorstwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
What I have done to extend fuel range

RE: #1: Wished the front (fake) tank where up higher… my legs are a big long to fit in the "leg groove" as it seems they should. ---- ME TOO! ---

#2: Fuel capacity. ARRGGGHHH!!! Why oh why didn't BMW INCREASE the tank capacity from the Dakar, not decrease it? For the love of god, why make me constantly suffer fuel insecurity? Fuel light goes on at 150 miles, range appears to be 220ish miles but never tested it to empty. Low 60 mpg even in mixed terrain which is terrific. Would like more capacity short of buying the monster TT tank and would love to hear what others have done on extended fuel range. I bought a ROTOPAX 2 gallon tank that I strapped on my bike for a ride this summer.

I have it set where I can use it in two configurations: With or Without the milk CRATE!!

I had a stretch of my ride that was 270 miles long between gas stops, and I am glad I had the extra fuel. In retrospect, I might have gone for the 1 gallon Rotopax (to save weight) but I would not do a damn thing to my milk crate, it is GHETTO FABULOUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post

Hello fellow Sertao homies!

I sold my 1150GS…
Obsessed over the KTM 690R Enduro… (was sure I was going to buy this one)
And ended up with the Sertao and super stoked on it.
In the end I went with the Sertao because I was honest about the type of riding that I'm actually going to do, not what I fantasize to do. The 690 is an absolute hoot but is has a bit of a twitchy throttle at slow speeds and was frankly awful on the freeway between 60 - 70 mph (big time time scary handle bar swinging for me). I guess I'd describe the 690 as riding "angry" and the Sertao as "chill". And where I am in my life I'm not going to race and "chill" is good.

I picked up the Sertao Friday morning and headed out of town with three friends (two v-stroms and one G650GS). Rode pavement, dirt forest roads, and a bit of tough jeep track (the others had more road oriented tires so we ended up turning back and avoiding the more difficult stuff but I had a chance to sample the goods and the Sertao rocked it).

The Sertao did great. It is a terrific all a rounder that begs to explore terrain. In my opinion the fun factor is +++ over the 1150GS although it isn't the long haul bike that the 1150 is. I put in 850 miles over the weekend and am now 250 miles overdue for my 600 mile service which hopefully can happen this week.

Regarding questions on tires and panniers:

I set up the tires with a TKC 80 in the front and a Heidenau Scout in the rear. Super, super happy with this combo. I've run the TKC's before, they are great but the rear does wear a bit fast on pavement which you would of course expect. The TKC / Heidenau combo did awesome on and off road although I didn't encounter any wet pavement. The bike wiggles a bit in the 70mph + range but otherwise handled superbly.

I've previously had Jesse Bags (I bought them used) which are super solid but decided to go with the Touratech Zega Pro 38L side panniers. Expensive unfortunately but in my first experience I'm super happy with them and like them better than the Jesse Bags. My buddy has Caribou and those are a great choice too and come at a better price point than the Zega's.

Curious if anyone has used the Kriega Overlander ADV Platform on the Touratech frame? Budget allowing I'd like to someday have a soft bag option plus I like the idea of the Rotopax fuel cell.

Overall very happy with the Sertao. Two beefs:

#1: Wished the front (fake) tank where up higher… my legs are a big long to fit in the "leg groove" as it seems they should.

#2: Fuel capacity. ARRGGGHHH!!! Why oh why didn't BMW INCREASE the tank capacity from the Dakar, not decrease it? For the love of god, why make me constantly suffer fuel insecurity? Fuel light goes on at 150 miles, range appears to be 220ish miles but never tested it to empty. Low 60 mpg even in mixed terrain which is terrific. Would like more capacity short of buying the monster TT tank and would love to hear what others have done on extended fuel range.

Would like to do the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route this year (summer?) and would be curious to hear any experiences anyone has had.

Thanks!

BC

thorstwin screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 05:44 PM
thorstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #835
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
top case frame?

Twinrider,

Few questions, your frame rails for the top box? Givi? Where did you get the exhaust from?

[/QUOTE]
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #836
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Twinrider,

Few questions, your frame rails for the top box? Givi? Where did you get the exhaust from?

The luggage frames are Givi, the exhaust is by a Japanese maker. http://japan.webike.de/products/1602700.html
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #837
qcridgerunner
Adventurer

Touratech halogen light

Hi folks
Anybody installed one of those ? Thinking about adding the fog light, with the approaching fall temps. My question is : can it be routed to the hazard switch, which has an empty "side" or do you need to add the supplied switch ? Any help appreciated cuz I am electrically challenged. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #838
bc_seattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Love the crate!

I have it set where I can use it in two configurations: With or Without the milk CRATE!!

I had a stretch of my ride that was 270 miles long between gas stops, and I am glad I had the extra fuel. In retrospect, I might have gone for the 1 gallon Rotopax (to save weight) but I would not do a damn thing to my milk crate, it is GHETTO FABULOUS!

Milkcrate is awesome... Both old school and incognito. And a stellar pricepoint!

BC
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #839
thorsten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Is anybody using some kind of fork protection for his Sertao ? I'm a bit concerned when riding offroad that the polished surface of the upper pipes will be more and more scratched. I heard that this can cause some kind of "pitting" or spot corrosion.

Anybody tried something like that ???

Th.
thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #840
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomm View Post
I want to put some more aggressive tires on my Sertao. I've always liked the Dunlop 606 but they only come in an 90 section height for the rear. That would add 1 inch on the diameter or 1/2 inch in height. Has anyone tried a 90 on the rear? Any problems with handling or clearance?

I just installed Jesse bags and I like them a lot so far.
It fits fine. I think your maths might be off, it only adds 6.5 mm or about 1/4 inch to the radius or double that to the dia.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote