Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #1036
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittzoid View Post
Thx guys for the help on the not starting issue I am having. Put the battery tender on it and left it for 2 days and it cranked right up. BMW says they will replace the battery under warranty. I guess the battery tender will become part of my end of ride ritual now.
Do you by any chance have a Zumo 220 mounted. I had exactly the same problem with mine and it turns out the Zumo 220 has pretty high draw if left in the cradle even if its turned off. The Zumo 550 and 660 don't seem to do this for some reason (I have one of each of them too). If I'm leaving the bike for more than 24 hours I just take the 220 out of the cradle and have had no problems since
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #1037
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Thanks, good info. I am assuming the 15t sprocket is one tooth less than stock? What does that do to cruise speed? I have gone with lower gearing on every dual sport I have owned for better offroad power, but also carrying a passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasomonte View Post
Hi Gundy, I got my Sertao in June but didn't get ride it until August. I rode 6,000 miles in August including the entire Continental divide ride( 2000 miles of 80% off road) and a 300 miles extension in Canada. I rode another 1000 miles of almost all off road in September.
About durability: I have had a few problems
  • Cooling fan failure- a small problem but the part took two weeks to come from the Motherland and warranty install. I wish I had just disconnected it and kept riding but I let the dealer keep it all that time.
  • Header pipe crack- too 10 days for the part to arrive. I'll get it put on day after manana
  • Cranks very slowly when cold- dealer says its normal and to start in neutral??
I have worn out my rear TK and replaced w heidenau. I'll change the front soon to another TK. I use a 15 tooth front sprocket for better all around use(no freeways in my hood) with off road.
Worst design problem is the short side stand- see my next post with the mod
I have tons of farkles taken from my last G650GS. I love the Dakar seat, pivot pegs and TT Gps rack. My next item will be PIAA led lights.
This Sertao hasn't been quite as dependable as the 2011 G650 it replaced but it is much better on the trail. Nowadays I ride with KTM's and dual sports :)
I'll take it to SA in a week or two
I hope that was helpful
Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #1038
qcridgerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Denali DM1 installed

https://picasaweb.google.com/1079471...49067410836114
https://picasaweb.google.com/1079471...49891626879346

I am very satisfied with my choice of led lights. Twisted Throttle did not send me the correct screws with the mounting kit but my dealer had the right length Torx screws to fit them. Notice the spacer (provided by Twisted Throttle) that is used where the original flasher screws went in. Could not be simpler.
I chose to connect them to the high beam wire.
8 000 kms so far this summer and I bought it mid June. Awesome bike if you ask me. I feel fot those that have "issues" with the Sertao. By the way, my dealer received the recall notice for the beak yesterday ! About time ! I repaired my broken beak and am looking forward to having a new reliable one.

qcridgerunner screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 06:08 PM
qcridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #1039
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Thanks, good info. I am assuming the 15t sprocket is one tooth less than stock? What does that do to cruise speed? I have gone with lower gearing on every dual sport I have owned for better offroad power, but also carrying a passenger.
The 15 tooth sprocket is 1 less than stock. It makes it much more manageable at trail speeds and zippier on rural roads. You can still cruise at 70 MPH but it gets pretty buzzy after that. I really don't like my Sertao on the fast freeways. It seem to light in the front and gets squirrly.It could be the knobbies I suppose. BTW I used a 14 tooth on the CDR and it was great for that and could still do 65 which is a good speed for a Sertao.
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #1040
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
How far back does the extension go back? I have wondered about this type of work, but it's hard to hold the motorcycle and get a good look.
Thanks for the pics
I lengthened the stand overall by 2.75 inches. It doesn't interfere with anything. I think the lean was reduced by about 40%. It is much easier to right the bike now but there is still enough lean to make it stable and tip proof. The bigger foot helps too because it sinks a lot less. The only downside is about 8oz. of new weight
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #1041
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
I guess I'm not seeing a difference. The length doesn't appear to be the issue at this point. The angle does. Maybe if it was on pavement and not in dirt, I would have a different opinion.
I'm seeing a difference, but I do agree that changing the angle would be the biggest benefit. I haven't looked at my bike yet, but I'm assuming that's going to be a lot bigger job than tacking some extra length on the end.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #1042
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
I'm seeing a difference, but I do agree that changing the angle would be the biggest benefit. I haven't looked at my bike yet, but I'm assuming that's going to be a lot bigger job than tacking some extra length on the end.
My memory is good, but it is short. Maybe I just forgot what mine looked like since I have not seen it since the first week in August. I still think a hockey puck is a great solution. The extension plus hockey puck might put it where it needs to be.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #1043
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
My memory is good, but it is short. Maybe I just forgot what mine looked like since I have not seen it since the first week in August. I still think a hockey puck is a great solution. The extension plus hockey puck might put it where it needs to be.
I think it's just a matter of how bad it is to start with. With the extension the angle still isn't great, but it's definitely better than where it started. The hockey puck is probably what I'm going to end up doing. On top of the height you also get a bigger footprint and for much less than a TT kickstand foot.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #1044
Yarra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Cee Bailey Screen

I have fitted a CeeBailey 20" screen to shelter my 6'3" height, but after a bit of a test ride am concerned about the amount of flex in the plastic mount, especially on rough roads. Has anyone any experience with a large screen on these bikes, and an opinion on how the plastic windscreen mount copes with the larger area and weight?
Thanks
Yarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #1045
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarra View Post
I have fitted a CeeBailey 20" screen to shelter my 6'3" height, but after a bit of a test ride am concerned about the amount of flex in the plastic mount, especially on rough roads. Has anyone any experience with a large screen on these bikes, and an opinion on how the plastic windscreen mount copes with the larger area and weight?
Thanks
I can't answer your question unfortunately, but that is an issue I have also been wondering about, as I am also considering adding the CeeBailey 20". The additional bending that the plastic mount will experience compared to the stock screen - due to the combination of the additional weight of the larger screen and the additional wind pressure force (also acting higher up) that the larger screen attracts - must be considerable, and the mount does not appear to be very stiff.

Do you also notice a lot of flex in the plastic mount on the highway at say 70 - 80 mph cruising speed?

Apart from the flex concern, how do you find the screen in terms of effectiveness / protection / turbulence at helmet level etc?

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #1046
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
I dont have a Serteao but I have the 2009 G650gs with the 20" Cee Bailey's windshield. I have at least 28,000 miles on the windshield (bike has almost 30,000 miles) and I havent noticed any undue flex, vibration, etc on the windshield. I have had it up to 90mph and didnt notice any flex in the windshield; however, at that speed, I am not watching the windshield for flex, I am watching the road ahead for any obstacles.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #1047
Yarra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Flexing mount with large screen

Thanks for the replies;
I have nothing but praise for the screen. It's nice and broad at the top, doing a reasonable job of protecting my shoulders, is just the right height for me to see clearly over the top of the screen and deflecting the wind to the crown of my helmet. and it makes the ride so quiet at freeway speeds. The mounts do still flex at highway speeds.
I dropped in to the dealer, asking for an opinion on the amount of flexing, hoping for reassurance, but understanding there could be no guarantees. He wasn't alarmed by it, so I am reassured. Out of interest I priced a replacement part should the mount fail; it's a fair bit of plastic as it includes all the headlight surround - it is that whole black section at the front. I was pleasantly surprised to see it priced just under $200, here in Australia where prices can be at a bit of a premium.
So, I'm leaving the screen on, and enjoying the enhanced touring comfort.
Regards,
John

Yarra screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 09:09 PM Reason: Spelling
Yarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #1048
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Spent Saturday afternoon removing parts from my Sertao. Turns out that the dealer has three in the shop with the starting issue. One of them has 4 miles on it. The mechanic took it for a test ride and stalled it at a stop sign. It wouldn't start again. That happened while I was there. The service bulliten is important because it will prevent your cam from being scored. My cam shaft had to be replaced because of the scoring.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #1049
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Spent Saturday afternoon removing parts from my Sertao. Turns out that the dealer has three in the shop with the starting issue. One of them has 4 miles on it. The mechanic took it for a test ride and stalled it at a stop sign. It wouldn't start again. That happened while I was there. The service bulliten is important because it will prevent your cam from being scored. My cam shaft had to be replaced because of the scoring.
Bummer...
I'm at almost 1500 miles on mine with zero starting issues, which is great for me
Good to hear you were able to get your parts off.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #1050
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
I dont have a Serteao but I have the 2009 G650gs with the 20" Cee Bailey's windshield. I have at least 28,000 miles on the windshield (bike has almost 30,000 miles) and I havent noticed any undue flex, vibration, etc on the windshield. I have had it up to 90mph and didnt notice any flex in the windshield; however, at that speed, I am not watching the windshield for flex, I am watching the road ahead for any obstacles.
Thanks

My concern with the newer G (2011+) is not so much with primary flex of the screen itself, but rather with flex (and therefore possible over-stress / fatigue / breakage) of the screen mounting posts which appear to be less stiff / substantial than the fixing arrangement on the older version of the bike (where the screen seems to attach lower down to the cowling / fairing). Time will tell I guess.

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote