Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #1171
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I finally got a chance to test out the excellent second hand equipment I was able to buy from Avner, there was some mention of rerouting the throttle cable after installing the ROX raisers, Which I needed to do, when I turned fully to the right the engine would rev slightly, I made it to work fine in this lovely 32degree temps. I had a look at the cables, and figured I could handle the cable routing issue, Im glad I did, It took me all of ten min. With a 14mm wrench, 4mm Allen wrench.
Very easy!

VitSports6 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 11:47 AM Reason: Crap!!! Wrong inmate, sorry Avner
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #1172
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I finally got a chance to test out the excellent second hand equipment I was able to buy from Slider162, there was some mention of rerouting the throttle cable after installing the ROX raisers, Which I needed to do, when I turned fully to the right the engine would rev slightly, I made it to work fine in this lovely 32degree temps. I had a look at the cables, and figured I could handle the cable routing issue, Im glad I did, It took me all of ten min. With a 14mm wrench, 4mm Allen wrench.
Very easy!
VitSports:

Curious where did reroute the throttle cable? I'm having the same issue, can you take a quick pic so I can attempt myself over the weekend. Thanks..
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #1173
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Gas problem fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
VitSports:

Curious where did reroute the throttle cable? I'm having the same issue, can you take a quick pic so I can attempt myself over the weekend. Thanks..
Hi alskee750,

I was curious to know what was the resolution for the bad gas you got for the bike during Sandy.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #1174
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
VitSports:

I Moved the cable from the front side of the ignition switch to behind it, it's a little difficult to take a pic, but I will give it a try.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #1175
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Bike is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
Hi alskee750,

I was curious to know what was the resolution for the bad gas you got for the bike during Sandy.
Bike should be here tomorrow it went in for my 6000 mile service. Luckly it was just the plugs that got fouled up and once changed it started fine and idled well, seems like it burnt out all the remaining pre mix it had while they serviced it. On another side note, I had broked my clutch lever in half on an off road trip 2 weeks prior. I was having problems starting the bike but once I replaced the clutch lever it was fine. Seems like there was a problem w/ the contact switch from the clutch lever. This will be my last service through BMW, to darn expensive. I'm use to doing most of my work on my older bikes but they are much simpler as they have no efi. So a manual is on order and going forth I will do most of my work.

Overall, the bike really hasn't given me any problems at all. I've been very happy w/ my purchase and all the add ons have made it even a better bike off road. I just got bark busters as the BMW hand guards are crap (hence a new clutch lever).

Hope all is good and have fun on you 800...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #1176
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I Moved the cable from the front side of the ignition switch to behind it, it's a little difficult to take a pic, but I will give it a try.
Please do so.. Much appreaciated..
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #1177
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is what I can get, I hope they help.
RHS, Black cable is the throttle, Routed behind the ing. switch.

I moved the Clutch cable out of the way to get a better pic, it holds the throttle cable in place between the two banjo bolts.

Clutch cable in its normal spot.

I hope that helps, Best of luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #1178
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

I did this after I got to work this morning, So I haven't driven it yet, But the throttle seems to go back to return as it should.
I will be sure to post up if I have any issues or other thoughts.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #1179
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I did this after I got to work this morning, So I haven't driven it yet, But the throttle seems to go back to return as it should.
I will be sure to post up if I have any issues or other thoughts.
Got it.. thanks that was quick.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #1180
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,794
what is the point of routing the cable behind the ignition switch ?

also i was wondering:

on the throttle, there is a small black cable attached to it. it is not the throttle cable. i have no idea what it is. .. what is it?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #1181
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
what is the point of routing the cable behind the ignition switch ?

also i was wondering:

on the throttle, there is a small black cable attached to it. it is not the throttle cable. i have no idea what it is. .. what is it?
I added some 1" ROX handlebar raisers, so it made throttle cable tighter when turning to the right, by routing the cable behind the ignition switch it relieved the tension.
The black wire on the throttle it's self is the hand warmer wire, I guess that's what you are seeing.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #1182
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoong View Post
How did you know it was the water pump? Did the bike overheat?

The bike was definately running hot but I had put that down to some hard riding and increased temperature around this time of year. I actually thought I had a oil leak as there was a drop or two of oil under the bike when parked over night. turns out it wasnt oil. must have been antifreeze in the coolant that made me think it was oil. Anyway, good thing i sent it in for a checkup or im sure i could have caused more problems.
SouthAfricanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #1183
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Bike should be here tomorrow it went in for my 6000 mile service. Luckly it was just the plugs that got fouled up and once changed it started fine and idled well, seems like it burnt out all the remaining pre mix it had while they serviced it. On another side note, I had broked my clutch lever in half on an off road trip 2 weeks prior. I was having problems starting the bike but once I replaced the clutch lever it was fine. Seems like there was a problem w/ the contact switch from the clutch lever. This will be my last service through BMW, to darn expensive. I'm use to doing most of my work on my older bikes but they are much simpler as they have no efi. So a manual is on order and going forth I will do most of my work.

Overall, the bike really hasn't given me any problems at all. I've been very happy w/ my purchase and all the add ons have made it even a better bike off road. I just got bark busters as the BMW hand guards are crap (hence a new clutch lever).

Hope all is good and have fun on you 800...
I'm glad to hear you are back on the horse! I love the 800 in every way, but I do miss the Sertao's off-road capabilities over the 800 and the light weight - I wish I could have kept it in addition to the 800...

Enjoy!
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #1184
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
The black wire on the throttle it's self is the hand warmer wire, I guess that's what you are seeing.
aha hand warmer wire. thanks .

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #1185
joughton
jdog

Oddometer: 13
Nice LEDS OZI, can you give us a little more info pls.

"My Sertao Bike mods are Steering damper ; Fork protectors ; TT lower mud guard front ; TT bash plate ; LED spot lights with steering ; TT bar risers and extended ABS cable ; bark busters ; Dunlop 606 front and rear ; enlarged air intake ; led brake light ; carbon GPs mount for zumo 660 ; Gaintloop tank bag ; smaller front sprocket for more usable 2nd gear (2 teeth smaller 14 - 16 for road section there and back)"

Hey Ozi, I see you have a nice LED setup on your Sertao, I was going to PM you about it for more info but figured others on here will also be interested. So what are the lights? Where did you get the bracket from? and of course how do you have it wired?. Actually it is the bracket mounting that I am most interested in. From what I can see it looks like you have bolted an alum plate onto the top of the beak. I would love some more info on how you did this.

I would like to put a pair of LEDs on my bike but can only find the TT conventional filament bulb units with decent looking brackets. Clamping to the forks is something I would rather avoid.
Cheers. J.
joughton is offline   Reply With Quote