Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #106
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Riding it like you...

John,

How would you compare it to your KLR? I really dont have many riding partners, except a few friends w/ KLR's. I do mostly city commuting but would like to take her on the occassional dirt paths, even maybe do a few big bike dual sporting events here in the NE that I can ride to and fro. I ride rain/cold really doesnt matter. Does anyone know if this bike can handle 80mph highway riding all day? I dont do two up, it's just me as the wife doesnt really like riding.

alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #107
eanth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
80mph all day long

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
John,

Does anyone know if this bike can handle 80mph highway riding all day?

If it's the same motor and gearing as my 03 Dakar (I'm guessing it is), no problem. The motor loves it there. Done it many times on the slab when i needed to cover a lot of ground.

eanth
eanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #108
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I'm a KLR guy at heart as I have had four of them over the last ten years (95,03,04,08) and I still have an 03 that I ride today. Let me say here that all were great bikes and I don't think I ever spent over $100 on all of them, this not including farkles that I have purchased and moved from bike to bike. If you look at the dollars that you are going to have to pay difference in the two bikes, I would put my money on the KLR for sure, there's no way you are going to get $4000 more bike out of the BMW, but you will get more hp and better fuel mileage, plus service work, parts, and farkles will all cost more. When it comes to running 80mph both bikes will do it, I would change the counter shaft sprocket to a 16 tooth on the KLR, on the BMW I don't know what the stock sprockets is to change it to. Do you really want to run 80mph all day on a single thumber.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #109
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
80mph..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
. Do you really want to run 80mph all day on a single thumber.

John
John,

No I didn't mean I would be running all day 80mph just wanted to know that it could handle it. If I only didn't find the KLR ugly I would get one, no pun intented. But thanks for your help John, much appreaciated.

Alex
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #110
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
Sertao was delivered today. Sunny and 34° this afternoon and got 40 miles in. Hand warmers work very well. Tires are strictly street tires. Michelin T63s are in the garage. No real complaints to speak of so far.
Update please! What was the rough out-the-door cost? I'm in Canada so it wont directly translate, but curious how different the MSRP is to OTD price.

And post some pics when you get a chance.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #111
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Update please! What was the rough out-the-door cost? I'm in Canada so it wont directly translate, but curious how different the MSRP is to OTD price.

And post some pics when you get a chance.
The online prices are a bit deceiving. The online prices, at least at my local dealer, did not include the $500 delivery cost or the $250 add-on for heated grips. So sticker was right around $9,500. I got them down to $9,100 before taxes.

We got 4" of snow last night, but I hope to get out this weekend and get some pics. My heated gear finally arrived so as long as the roads clear up, I will be good to go. The bike did come with a 12v Powerlet port. It is hidden down by the engine, not up by the rest of the controls. I got a Powerlet to Micro USB cord which works nicely to plug my phone into for GPS and Pandora which works well with a Bluetooth headset.

The heated grips work great and the bark busters do a nice job keeping the wind off of the hands. I drove the 45 miles to work on Monday. It was 19³F out when I left and my heated gear had not yet arrived. My Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket and 2.0 pants worked great to keep me warm.

I had the Shark Evoline Series 2 ST helmet, but decided to return it. It was too heavy and noisy. I have a Shoei Neotec (just in stock as of yesterday) and a Arai XD-4 on order. They should be here today to try.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #112
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
This probably won't help you with prices, but in Ft. Worth, Texas the list price is $9449.00, in that price is the destination charge and the heated grips which are included on the factory sticker, the dealer here will add our state sales tax (6.25%), license fee ($40.00 per year), and a dock fee charged by the dealer to do the paper work (around $50.00). Note this list price could be discounted somewhat by the dealer, but I have not pushed the dealer for a price, because I think I will wait till BMW has some good incentives on their bikes before I buy. I would think that since the Sertao is a new model for this year that they will not be eager to discount, but let me say that the Ft. Worth dealer has not sold one to date and they got theirs the second week on January. I would say that they are not lined up out the door to buy the Sertao, when it's a $10,000 Dakar.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #113
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Biggest gripe I have with the bike (Sertao) is it leans over too far on the sidestand, I'm 6'1" and weight around 230, I think it's heavy to upright, any tried it yet. This is what happens when you use the same sidestand as the one on the 650GS, it's too short for the Sertao.
I think the sidestand is too short even for my "regular" G, nevermind a Dakar/Sertão...

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #114
Arpad99
n00b

Oddometer: 9
How many km's would the gs be good for?

First time on this section of adv rider. Normally post threads on the northern territory pages.

To the point, just got the new Sertao having only been released in Australia about 1.5 weeks ago. The bike come with a standard two year unlimited milage warranty and can be extended to four years unlimited milage warranty. Does any no what kind of milage the 650 is good for, before the engine starts needing work done to it. And by milage I'm talking about km's.
Arpad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #115
Sparqq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
@Arpad99

That engine doesn't need work on. I have a F650GS Daker, almost the same bike only different plastics with 85.000 km on it with no serious problems. The weakest link on the engine is the water pomp i've replaced it twice now, but don't worry it will notify when has to been done and starts dripping a bit of watter on the exhaust.
Sparqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #116
wmcghee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Heated Grip Leads

I had a deposit down on a new Sertao. It was finally uncrated and built so yesterday I went to check it out. I was disappointed to see how BMW decided to wire their heated grips on the Sertao. The wiring lead is attached to the outside of the throttle! At worst, it's a failure waiting to happen. At best, it's a constant reminder of poor design. BMW also used the small, thin rubber foot pegs. I wonder where else they decided to cut corners and save money? I've read many ADVers wish for better front forks. Honestly I'm crushed. Why couldn't they charge $1000 more and do it right? The bike did not meet my expectations so its back to the drawing board for me.
wmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #117
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcghee View Post
I had a deposit down on a new Sertao. It was finally uncrated and built so yesterday I went to check it out. I was disappointed to see how BMW decided to wire their heated grips on the Sertao. The wiring lead is attached to the outside of the throttle! At worst, it's a failure waiting to happen. At best, it's a constant reminder of poor design. BMW also used the small, thin rubber foot pegs. I wonder where else they decided to cut corners and save money? I've read many ADVers wish for better front forks. Honestly I'm crushed. Why couldn't they charge $1000 more and do it right? The bike did not meet my expectations so its back to the drawing board for me.
I noticed that too, but its a dualsport so the aesthetics of the heated grips didn't bother me, but the forks and pegs did. Actually, the biggest downer for me was the hand guards were pretty flimsy plastic, i'm thinking they would snap if the bike is dumped. Still, i believe they wanted to keep the price far enough away from the F800 to prevent the Sertao from cannibalizing sales.

I liked it, but im not quite sold....yet.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #118
Benjah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I wonder who will be the first to mod the new Seratao with yamaha USD forks, decent handlebards, TT peg relocation and real barkbusters?

I think it would take some stones but would sure make for one good looking and handling bike
Benjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #119
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcghee View Post
I've read many ADVers wish for better front forks. Honestly I'm crushed. Why couldn't they charge $1000 more and do it right?
No kidding, BMW could probably have done it for far less than a grand and sold more bikes as well.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #120
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Ive got a 2001 Dakar w/65000 miles on it to date. I have not yet done the fork upgrade but have ridden one (I'm on progressives) . I can tell you, if you buy the new Sertao/Dakar and immediately do the fork and shock upgrade I don't think you'll be looking at another bike, to include the 800 or 800XC. Unless you want more HP. My bike has ONLY been in the shop for tuneups, and changes...thats all w/ZERO problems.

nomad5326 screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 06:36 AM
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote