ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #1186
Ozi
Adventurer
 
Ozi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Near the Beach, Queensland, AU
Oddometer: 64
They are insanely good eBay LED lights - I already bought a 2nd set for my Tiger 1200. Main thing I wanted was to have them turning with the steering for slow speed night ops on trails - they eclipse the bmw headlight by about 400% at least. I wont be able to send too detail for a few weeks due to work at the moment - I made a special brace underneath as well - please wait for details dude. cannot run them when not moving as they need air cooling in AU heat - outback temps - but they have about 3000km on them now - 100% reliable.
__________________
race motocross - or ride far into the outback, on an adventure bike - & repeat that day after day until you forget about all the other bullshit in life
Ozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #1187
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VitSports6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Taylorsville
Oddometer: 176
I look forward to some pics and other info as well, it's a great looking and functional setup!
__________________
Have Fun!
Brian
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #1188
Ozi
Adventurer
 
Ozi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Near the Beach, Queensland, AU
Oddometer: 64
If you want to aquire these micro 30Watt LED headlights in the meantime they are from this eBay seller - took about 2 weeks to arrive - I only used the lights and the switch - all wires were soldered.


__________________
race motocross - or ride far into the outback, on an adventure bike - & repeat that day after day until you forget about all the other bullshit in life

Ozi screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 02:47 AM
Ozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #1189
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by joughton View Post
Hey Ozi, I see you have a nice LED setup on your Sertao, I was going to PM you about it for more info but figured others on here will also be interested. So what are the lights? .

I would like to put a pair of LEDs on my bike but can only find the TT conventional filament bulb units with decent looking brackets. Clamping to the forks is something I would rather avoid.
Cheers. J.
Some people seem to have good luck with the Chinese aquarium-cum-adv lights, but I went through about 5 of them as they stopped working fairly quickly despite being run through a quality Piaa harness. I since switched to the Piaa 530 leds and have had no issues. An added bonus is that they put out a focused beam unlike the aquarium lights and have a 2 year warranty. $204 from Amazon.





http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-73532-Dri...sim_sbs_auto_2
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 05:22 AM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #1190
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
If you want to aquire these micro 30Watt LED headlights in the meantime they are from this eBay seller - took about 2 weeks to arrive - I only used the lights and the switch - all wires were soldered.

Hey Ozi, what tires are those? i've been looking for some decent knobblies that i can still do my daily commute on... how do those wear on the road?

Cheerz
SouthAfricanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #1191
Ozi
Adventurer
 
Ozi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Near the Beach, Queensland, AU
Oddometer: 64
see post 1117 and 1122 this thread for full details - Dunlop 606 - love these tires for this type of bike and power to weight ratio on dirt - cannot comment on road(bitumen) wear - it costs $20 to swap tyres over here in AU - and I run the stock tyres for road - only fit the 606's for adventure trips - I travel on farm roads where ever I can (AU has millions of km of good farm roads - dirt) - in that last photo post 1117 the rear tire wear - thats after the safari - so 5 days of full throttle and hard braking too - I get so little time to ride that the tire(S) gets no mercy and no consideration. That may not help you decide - maybe not - but let me say I will buy these 606 tires again - for sure - for Sertao GS650. They wander a little at speed - 100->150km compared to the street rubber that comes stock, but they are a great dirt road tire

Now if you asked me what nobbies for my 1200 tiger then that, I cannot recommend nothin - still searching ...
__________________
race motocross - or ride far into the outback, on an adventure bike - & repeat that day after day until you forget about all the other bullshit in life
Ozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #1192
grizzlyj
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: SE UK
Oddometer: 38
Hi folks!

Informative thread, but crikey is it long!!

I'm supposed to be picking up my new Sertao today, but got a call yesterday, its been recalled for the hot start thing. Nice BMW took the initiative, bad I have to wait a bit more! I don't know specifically what they will do to it, yet!

I did have a deposit on a 2013 800GS but realised that for the country road pootling I'll be doing here in the UK a Sertao will be as good and a lot cheaper!

I'm currently trying to decide on panniers, I hope the Varios will take a full face lid if not I'll go soft on a rack. Beemer dealer is ordering me some Varios so I can try it, and will return them if my lid won't fit. A topbox would be a sensible choice but.......I no likey!

I would go for TT engine bars but see in ozi's pics he doesn't have anything, and in the earlier crash pics the fairing above the bars still got hit Being a short arse I'm sure I'll drop it at some point, I need to check if just having panniers will do as good a job by themselves. This is only on tarmac though, if I do take it on the dirt then engine bars would go on anyway perhaps.

I have some beemer LED fogs to put on, but need to sort brackets and a switch. The PIAA one is nice but a bit pricey?!

Safe riding

Jason



grizzlyj screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 01:16 AM
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #1193
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyj View Post

I have some beemer LED fogs to put on, but need to sort brackets and a switch. The PIAA one is nice but a bit pricey?!

Safe riding

Jason


Reliable and costing the equivalent of 128 quid plus a few pounds shipping it seems pretty cheap to me, but YMMV.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #1194
Durden
Freak!
 
Durden's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyj View Post
its been recalled for the hot start thing.
Does this mean the rest of us should be expecting Recall notices?
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #1195
grizzlyj
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: SE UK
Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Reliable and costing the equivalent of 128 quid plus a few pounds shipping it seems pretty cheap to me, but YMMV.
I meant 25 for just the switch

http://www.piaa.co.uk/lamps/lampshow.asp?ID=Bikekit
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #1196
scottomcgotto
Adventurer
 
scottomcgotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW (Australia)
Oddometer: 29
That's an interesting thought. I had a phone call from a lovely girl from BMW Australia yesterday confirming that the address they had for me on record was correct and that I received the 'Welcome pack' they'd sent me. Maybe letters are on their way out now.
scottomcgotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #1197
Poznos
Idiot with a Wrench
 
Poznos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Cookeville, TN
Oddometer: 47
DIY or don't?

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for so long that I figured I 'ought to actually post something...
I read through the bulk of the Dakar thread thinking I was going to get one but then decided I might as well cough up a few more bucks for the Sertao, and thus here I am. Admittedly though I've only poked at this thread so far. Forgive me if I've missed something, I'm still reading it.

I'm planning on buying the Sertao from a dealer in Nashville a in about a month. I'll be using it mainly as commuter during college but I'm going to outfit it as a long-distance tourer and use it as such every chance I get.
I didn't even bother to consider the F800. Too expensive, less MPG, drinks fancy gas, and I like back roads more anyway.

But what I wanted to talk about were some these exorbitantly priced add-ons. I'm planning on buying a few things (air horn, alarm system, sheepskin buttpad, extra lighting...), but things like aluminum panniers, master cylinder guard, & Bark busters seem like they could be put together with a hack saw, some elbow grease, and a mig welder. I'm sure Touratech makes some quality stuff but are Zega Pro panniers $1200 good?
Has anyone actually built most of their own stuff? I'd really like to here about how you did it.
__________________
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
Poznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #1198
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer
 
lockyv7's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Sunshine Coast Australia, There is no winter here.
Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poznos View Post
Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for so long that I figured I 'ought to actually post something...
I read through the bulk of the Dakar thread thinking I was going to get one but then decided I might as well cough up a few more bucks for the Sertao, and thus here I am. Admittedly though I've only poked at this thread so far. Forgive me if I've missed something, I'm still reading it.

I'm planning on buying the Sertao from a dealer in Nashville a in about a month. I'll be using it mainly as commuter during college but I'm going to outfit it as a long-distance tourer and use it as such every chance I get.
I didn't even bother to consider the F800. Too expensive, less MPG, drinks fancy gas, and I like back roads more anyway.

But what I wanted to talk about were some these exorbitantly priced add-ons. I'm planning on buying a few things (air horn, alarm system, sheepskin buttpad, extra lighting...), but things like aluminum panniers, master cylinder guard, & Bark busters seem like they could be put together with a hack saw, some elbow grease, and a mig welder. I'm sure Touratech makes some quality stuff but are Zega Pro panniers $1200 good?
Has anyone actually built most of their own stuff? I'd really like to here about how you did it.
Here is some luggage i whittled out of an old Coke can and a stick of gum, oh and a hacksaw.







lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #1199
alskee750
Studly Adventurer
 
alskee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 520
TT stuff is good, but at times over rated. Look for other options for panniers, do some homework on different manufactures. I went with soft bags as I wanted something durable but water proof ala http://www.happy-trail.com/Wolfman/E...s-Wolfman.aspx I went with Happy Trails SU racks because I found them to be more versitile and can easily adapt to any side cases like probably pelicans. The racks are great when going off road and protect your moto during any falls.

Overall, I love my moto...

Good luck





But what I wanted to talk about were some these exorbitantly priced add-ons. I'm planning on buying a few things (air horn, alarm system, sheepskin buttpad, extra lighting...), but things like aluminum panniers, master cylinder guard, & Bark busters seem like they could be put together with a hack saw, some elbow grease, and a mig welder. I'm sure Touratech makes some quality stuff but are Zega Pro panniers $1200 good?
Has anyone actually built most of their own stuff? I'd really like to here about how you did it.[/QUOTE]
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #1200
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer
 
lockyv7's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Sunshine Coast Australia, There is no winter here.
Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
see post 1117 and 1122 this thread for full details - Dunlop 606 - love these tires for this type of bike and power to weight ratio on dirt - cannot comment on road(bitumen) wear - it costs $20 to swap tyres over here in AU - and I run the stock tyres for road - only fit the 606's for adventure trips - I travel on farm roads where ever I can (AU has millions of km of good farm roads - dirt) - in that last photo post 1117 the rear tire wear - thats after the safari - so 5 days of full throttle and hard braking too - I get so little time to ride that the tire(S) gets no mercy and no consideration. That may not help you decide - maybe not - but let me say I will buy these 606 tires again - for sure - for Sertao GS650. They wander a little at speed - 100->150km compared to the street rubber that comes stock, but they are a great dirt road tire

Now if you asked me what nobbies for my 1200 tiger then that, I cannot recommend nothin - still searching ...
Hey Ozi, what beach are you near, i am near a beach in Queensland to. You could maybe drop around for a coffee and chat one day.
Cheers Locky.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014