Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #1201
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
see post 1117 and 1122 this thread for full details - Dunlop 606 - love these tires for this type of bike and power to weight ratio on dirt - cannot comment on road(bitumen) wear - it costs $20 to swap tyres over here in AU - and I run the stock tyres for road - only fit the 606's for adventure trips - I travel on farm roads where ever I can (AU has millions of km of good farm roads - dirt) - in that last photo post 1117 the rear tire wear - thats after the safari - so 5 days of full throttle and hard braking too - I get so little time to ride that the tire(S) gets no mercy and no consideration. That may not help you decide - maybe not - but let me say I will buy these 606 tires again - for sure - for Sertao GS650. They wander a little at speed - 100->150km compared to the street rubber that comes stock, but they are a great dirt road tire

Now if you asked me what nobbies for my 1200 tiger then that, I cannot recommend nothin - still searching ...
Thanks for the info! I'm off to my local dealers to see what they have on offer.

Cheerz
SouthAfricanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #1202
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Woke up this morning and swung by the the Moab Cafe on the to the White Rim Trail. After I filled up on a breakfast burrito I went out to start Serts and low and behold: hot start issue. Looks like I'll be cutting my trip short and taking a tow truck to Grand Junction. I'm extremely upset with BMW to say the least. If this had happened a few hours later today I could have found myself with a 70 mile walk ahead of me. Waiting for the tow truck now. I'll post more when I know more.

ZBone screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 03:39 PM
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #1203
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Woke up this morning and swung by the the Moab Cafe on the to the White Rim Trail. After I filled up on a breakfast burrito I went out to start Serts and low and behold: hot start issue. Looks like I'll be cutting my trip short and taking a tow truck to Grand Junction. I'm extremely upset with BMW to say the least. If this had happened a few hours later today I could have found myself with a 70 mile walk ahead of me. Waking for the tow truck now. I'll post more when I know more.
Edit: Tried it one last time and she fired up but now I've lost all confidence in the bike. Looks like I won't be riding White Rim today either way.

ZBone screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 03:39 PM
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #1204
joughton
jdog

Oddometer: 8
Look forward to the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
They are insanely good eBay LED lights - I already bought a 2nd set for my Tiger 1200. Main thing I wanted was to have them turning with the steering for slow speed night ops on trails - they eclipse the bmw headlight by about 400% at least. I wont be able to send too detail for a few weeks due to work at the moment - I made a special brace underneath as well - please wait for details dude. cannot run them when not moving as they need air cooling in AU heat - outback temps - but they have about 3000km on them now - 100% reliable.
Thanks Ozi,
I look forward to the details.
Cheers, Justin.
joughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #1205
Valimagdon
Scooter Boy

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Edit: Tried it one last time and she fired up but now I've lost all confidence in the bike. Looks like I won't s riding White Rim today either way.
I had the same issues when I was test riding/demoing my Sertao. (it was on weekend loan from the dealer). Had hot-start issues a couple times, got stranded in the woods once. I got mad too. However, all my other experiences with it were awesome. Made the dealer do the decomp lever job before I bought it, and now it always starts up at the press of the button. I LOVE my bike.

I recommend that every Sertao owner has their Dealer do the job, and not wait for the issue to happen. And if your dealer gives you guff, go over their head. It's a known issue, the service bulletin is in their system, no excuses.
--HC
Valimagdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #1206
joughton
jdog

Oddometer: 8
Sertao auxiliary light mounts

[QUOTE=twinrider;20082164]Some people seem to have good luck with the Chinese aquarium-cum-adv lights, but I went through about 5 of them as they stopped working fairly quickly despite being run through a quality Piaa harness. I since switched to the Piaa 530 leds and have had no issues. An added bonus is that they put out a focused beam unlike the aquarium lights and have a 2 year warranty. $204 from Amazon.

Hey Twinrider, Thanks for the post, how are those Piaas mounted? Are they clamped to the forks or mounted to the fender. I do like the lights and I suspect they will have a superior beam pattern to anything else on the market. I am looking for a high beam replacement rather than increased visibility/presence on low beam, and I wish they would upgrade the emitters to 10 - 15 w.
BTW the emitters I use on my fish tank are Cree XPG and XMLs and are superior in light output to the older 3 watt Edisons used in the Piaa units.
I have my eye on the Dually D2s in driving beam pattern. Just need to figure out a way to mount them. I see that Piaa actually sell their mounts separately unlike Touratech - this could be a good option for me, as Im not that good with metal work.
Cheers, J.
joughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #1207
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valimagdon View Post
I had the same issues when I was test riding/demoing my Sertao. (it was on weekend loan from the dealer). Had hot-start issues a couple times, got stranded in the woods once. I got mad too. However, all my other experiences with it were awesome. Made the dealer do the decomp lever job before I bought it, and now it always starts up at the press of the button. I LOVE my bike.

I recommend that every Sertao owner has their Dealer do the job, and not wait for the issue to happen. And if your dealer gives you guff, go over their head. It's a known issue, the service bulletin is in their system, no excuses.
I love my bike as well. I had an absolute blast on it to and from Moab and on every trail I rode while I was there. That said, I don't love BMW for allowing a known issue to lie in wait for some unfortunate person to discover in the middle of nowhere. This isn't a Gullwing. I very much could have been in a lot of trouble this weekend if things had turned out differently. The blame rests on my shoulders for learning about the issue through here and not taking care of it immediately, but I doubt every G650GS owner is aware of, and utilizes advrider.com. Their handling of this issue is despicable at best, and dangerous to their customers at worst. There won't be much of a customer base for them to sell $20,000 bikes to if all of their entry level riders end up dead out in the woods somewhere.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #1208
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Any Hot start issues in South Africa???

My Sertao is at BMW for a new water pump and so i thought i would suggest they do the hot start fix while its there. they told me that there has been no bulletin in South Africa about the hot start problem and it could be exclusive to the US. they said our bikes are made to European specs and the US version could be slightly different? He then went on to say that altitude and local temperatures could also affect it and hence no bulletin in South Africa. The only bulletin he had was for the front beak which he said they automatically replace once the bike goes in for any reason. Does this sound correct to y'all? Has any other South African Sertao owner had a hot start issue? i hope not and i hope it isnt just that there are so few on the road here that they havent encountered it yet? i'm doing a big trip over the weekend and i must say im not all that confident with this bike.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #1209
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I think the "hot start" issue is limited to short rides in low ambient temperature. I rode the wheels off the bike after I picked it up in August but didn't encounter any starting issues until the temps dropped below 10 C. After that, it seems the colder it gets the more often I encounter the problem.

Generally, all it takes is to leave the bike for at least 15-20 minutes to cool off. Then, it will start perfect.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #1210
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

I know some of you have mentioned service bulletins concerning the starting issues, but both my local BMW dealers were unable to bring up anything. Do you have any more information on this, or even the name of your dealers so I could contact them directly and research it myself? Both dealers told me that they would attempt to recreate the issue and run diagnostics but if there were unable to find anything, I'd be paying out of pocket for the time spent investigating the issue.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #1211
Sy1966
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
I think the "hot start" issue is limited to short rides in low ambient temperature. I rode the wheels off the bike after I picked it up in August but didn't encounter any starting issues until the temps dropped below 10 C. After that, it seems the colder it gets the more often I encounter the problem.

Generally, all it takes is to leave the bike for at least 15-20 minutes to cool off. Then, it will start perfect.
I live in Darwin, it does not get below 13 if we're unlucky for about 2 weeks of the year!

I had the hot start issue and it's not weather related, it's either valve clearances or in my case the decompression lever which has now been rectified.

Cheers

Sy
Sy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #1212
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfricanRider View Post
they told me that there has been no bulletin in South Africa about the hot start problem and it could be exclusive to the US. they said our bikes are made to European specs and the US version could be slightly different? He then went on to say that altitude and local temperatures could also affect it and hence no bulletin in South Africa....Does this sound correct to y'all?
No, doesn't sound correct. There are quite a few reported cases on UK spec bikes too.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #1213
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
No, doesn't sound correct. There are quite a few reported cases on UK spec bikes too.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Interesting!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #1214
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Ive had no problem with hot start in 10k often warm miles. My fan did die though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #1215
thorsten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1966 View Post
I live in Darwin, it does not get below 13 if we're unlucky for about 2 weeks of the year!

I had the hot start issue and it's not weather related, it's either valve clearances or in my case the decompression lever which has now been rectified.

Cheers

Sy
That's correct, it's not weather related. My dealer said something of "too tight tolerances" when I got the starting problem. After changing the lever she started perfectly at any time and temperature.

th.
thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote