User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #1216
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wolman Pannier Racks

Has anyone installed the Wolfman pannier racks on their Sertao? i just purchased them and i am convinced the nuts and bolts that have been supplied are too long. even when using the spacer that is supplied it just doesnt come together. the actual rack does seem to fit but its impossible to get it on even close to tight.

anyone else experience this?

Cheerz
SouthAfricanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #1217
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
wolfman luggage rack do fit...

was fiddly to install but they do fit

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=826a7426d4

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=e88c13bd3b
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #1218
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

wunderlich "top" crash bars

another addition on my Sertao.

I like to "two tone" colours, silver BMW bars and black wunderlich bars.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=414279d4a0
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #1219
Fatty Boom
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfricanRider View Post
My Sertao is at BMW for a new water pump and so i thought i would suggest they do the hot start fix while its there. they told me that there has been no bulletin in South Africa about the hot start problem and it could be exclusive to the US. they said our bikes are made to European specs and the US version could be slightly different? He then went on to say that altitude and local temperatures could also affect it and hence no bulletin in South Africa. The only bulletin he had was for the front beak which he said they automatically replace once the bike goes in for any reason. Does this sound correct to y'all? Has any other South African Sertao owner had a hot start issue? i hope not and i hope it isnt just that there are so few on the road here that they havent encountered it yet? i'm doing a big trip over the weekend and i must say im not all that confident with this bike.

Donford in Stellenbosch told me they applied the fix to all of their Sertaos, including mine.

So it is definately a known issue on SA bikes too.
Fatty Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #1220
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Boom View Post
Donford in Stellenbosch told me they applied the fix to all of their Sertaos, including mine.

So it is definately a known issue on SA bikes too.

Thanks! I think i'll have my dealer call the Stellenbosch branch... doing some long rides over December and dont need this story to happen!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #1221
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoong View Post
Looks great on your bike! i am convinced that the nuts that were supplied to me are too long. atleast for the upper spot where the spacer goes. you wouldnt happen to have the instruction sheet with you to see what sizes were supplied to you? im thinking that maybe in South Africa we've still got old stock that isnt compatible with the Sertao...

In my booklet it says the following:

4 = 8mm x 25mm hex head
2 = 8mm x 40mm socket head (these are the ones that are just TOO LONG)
2 = 8mm washers (large)
6 = 8mm washers small
2 = 3/4 x 3/4 spacers
2 = 8mm lock nuts

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #1222
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Quote:

Or tell me im wrong... i found the nut only screwed in about 5mm and i didnt want to force it (although i did get out my drill at one stage and even that couldnt get the nut any further in) there was about 10mm gap at the top that the rack sat in.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #1223
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

I will look tonight when i get home if i still have the installation instructions.

From memory the upper spot where the spacer goes fitted without any gap or issues... the fiddly part for me was the bolt at the rear.

I loosely put top and bottom bolts in and really had to use some strength to align the rear bolts... once I got all the bolts in it was fine and i could fairly easily tighten everything.

Quote:
Looks great on your bike! i am convinced that the nuts that were supplied to me are too long. atleast for the upper spot where the spacer goes. you wouldnt happen to have the instruction sheet with you to see what sizes were supplied to you? im thinking that maybe in South Africa we've still got old stock that isnt compatible with the Sertao...

4 = 8mm x 25mm hex head
2 = 8mm washers (large)
6 = 8mm washers small
2 = 3/4 x 3/4 spacers
2 = 8mm lock nuts

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #1224
SouthAfricanRider
Adventurer

Quote:
I will look tonight when i get home if i still have the installation instructions.

From memory the upper spot where the spacer goes fitted without any gap or issues... the fiddly part for me was the bolt at the rear.

I loosely put top and bottom bolts in and really had to use some strength to align the rear bolts... once I got all the bolts in it was fine and i could fairly easily tighten everything.

Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #1225
EMFC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:

Thanks for the pics, I have been seriously considering those (I have the wolf-tail bag and love it)

How do the bag hold up empty? Do they stay in that same form or do they decompress?
EMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #1226
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I picked up my bike last night wooohoooo!!

And I'm sorry, in my 1st post I repeated what the salesman told me, that it had been recalled. Yesterday speaking to the service guy it seemed the hot start thing showed itself during the PDI so they changed the decompression lever before I'd even touched it :) No recall.

It was just about freezing by the time I got home, and I have to say bigger handguards may have to go on! Reaching for the heated grip switch to go from high to low in the dark is not a good piece of design either! But I'm surprised the headlight isn't too bad for the lowish speeds I was doing, that switch is nice And I don't have to slide over hardly at all to put a toe down, comfy enough seat for the 90 minutes I was on it, generally nice nice nice
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #1227
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMFC View Post
Thanks for the pics, I have been seriously considering those (I have the wolf-tail bag and love it)

How do the bag hold up empty? Do they stay in that same form or do they decompress?
They sit fine empty and hold their shape due to a firmer insert, though I never ride with them empty. The bags are so easy to take off.

Top Quality bags! I also really like the Wolfman frame, sturdy and small compared to other hard luggage frames. The wolfman frame also gives you the option to put a Rotapax fuel pack on and still carry the bags...

Just get them you will not be disappointed.

Cheers,
Cornelius
Tasmania, Australia.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #1228
scottomcgotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi Cornelius, can I ask which Australian retailer you got the racks from? Thanks.
scottomcgotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #1229
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

On my instructions it is exactly the same.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7414.725090533

Quote:

4 = 8mm x 25mm hex head
2 = 8mm washers (large)
6 = 8mm washers small
2 = 3/4 x 3/4 spacers
2 = 8mm lock nuts

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #1230
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomcgotto View Post
Hi Cornelius, can I ask which Australian retailer you got the racks from? Thanks.
AdventureMoto

http://adventuremoto.com.au

I bought the rack+bag combo
https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/pro...oducts_id=1779