Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #121
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Is the frame on the Sertao the same as the old F650GS and Dakar? I'm curious if older pannier and rack systems would fit without any modification required, or if I would need to buy a rack system specific to the Sertao?

Its the SAME bike!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #122
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,647
I run a 2002 Dakar. The thing has been basically bullet proof for the past 6 seasons and 35,000 miles. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again, and the Sertao would be on my list when I replace the Dakar (no plans as yet).

The only real weakness I will echo is the stock front forks. BUT I solved it to my satisfaction with a set of Wirth progressive springs and 15W fork oil. This was a 100 euro upgrade to the bike which vastly improved it over stock. The next step would be a set of cartridge emulators for not much more money, but I personally don't see the need. Eventually upgraded to an Öhlins rear shock, and that was the shiznit. Best money I could have spent.

Have been all over northern Europe, dirt roads and pavement and even fire trails, and the bike does it all very well, all things considered.

I do not, however, ride it off road. I bought it and use it as an all roads touring bike, and anything that can be considered a "road" the bike will handle, even with the stock front fork setup. Certainly if you demand more on the off road angle the YZ forks upgrade (or, just a better off road bike that's lighter) would be the way to go. I am hoping that maybe Touratech will re-release their sweet WP Suspension kit now that the G650GS and Sertao models are out and selling well.

Anyway, the platform of these bikes is great, but like every bike I have ever owned, I have put a lot of custom stuff onto it to set it up they way I like. Lots of folks complain about the bikes, what they are missing or could have more/less of, whatever the market or model...but if you're serious about riding you know that no bike is all things to all people. If BMW went to the lengths of addressing every single thing "missing" just in this thread, not to mention all the other sites where they talk about this kind of thing, the bike would double in price (probably). And very, very few riders actually want to buy an ultra-modded high end platform for many times the price of the street versions. BMW's marketing people, like those at all good companies, aren't dumb and if they knew it would actually sell, they would build it. But the reality is that they wouldn't sell more than a few, the line would lose money, they would cancel the line, and then everybody would be lamenting the demise of a great little platform.

So that is why aftermarket parts suppliers exist: to allow flexibility in the setup. I think that regardless, the BMW bike is worth the sticker price relative to the Kawasaki.

FinlandThumper screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 03:24 AM
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #123
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,840
since it's the same seat from before
http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=8776231
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #124
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
I posted in thumpers already. I really am having a hard time between buying the new Sertao or a KTM 690. I live in Vermont and already have a Husaberg woods bike with a plate on it. I only ride gnar on that baby. I have a short dirt/paved road commute and want to do small weekend trips and the roads may sometimes turn to jeep trails. what do you think?
thanks
Oh, and I want dead reliable. Turn the key and fahgedaboutit! I don't have time to tinker cause I already spend enough maintanence time with the berg and my bicycles.
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #125
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I posted in thumpers already. I really am having a hard time between buying the new Sertao or a KTM 690. I live in Vermont and already have a Husaberg woods bike with a plate on it. I only ride gnar on that baby. I have a short dirt/paved road commute and want to do small weekend trips and the roads may sometimes turn to jeep trails. what do you think?
thanks
Oh, and I want dead reliable. Turn the key and fahgedaboutit! I don't have time to tinker cause I already spend enough maintanence time with the berg and my bicycles.
you need a KLR
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #126
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Hah!
I see you have an 09' 690. How is it for you? Any issues?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #127
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,126
Quote:
thanks
The BMW has all that covered, is comfortable and has a big enough alternator to run heated gear (jacket, gloves, grips). Not sure if KTM and reliable belong in the same sentence, everyone I know with one has had problems. But the 690 is a lot peppier than the BMW and comes with great suspension.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #128
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The BMW has all that covered, is comfortable and has a big enough alternator to run heated gear (jacket, gloves, grips). Not sure if KTM and reliable belong in the same sentence, everyone I know with one has had problems. But the 690 is a lot peppier than the BMW and comes with great suspension.
I am leaning heavily towards the beemer now. I will be doing more dirt/paved roads than anything. I will see about getting some tkc 80's and that should make the offroad perfomance better.
thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #129
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,126
Quote:
I am leaning heavily towards the beemer now. I will be doing more dirt/paved roads than anything. I will see about getting some tkc 80's and that should make the offroad perfomance better.
thanks
You'll have no problem on dirt roads with 50/50 tires.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #130
Arpad99
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Dr not the sertao

Don't forget the Sertao is probably 70/30 maybe 60/40 road orientated at a push. If you want a really tough durable bike that you can take though almost waist height dirt, give it a 5 minute hose and then go and ride 500 km's. Something that will last for at least 50,000km's, DON'T BUY BMW. And I own and adore my BMW Sertao. Go buy the Suzuki DR 650. The Sertao is a long distance tourer that has the ability to go off road, but feels more comfortable on road. For a start it weighs a ton compared to the DR, everything cost a small fortune. BMW has the quality, the durability and the reliability, all I'm saying is that for serious off roading combined with the ability to travel long distances on road, in other word a true dual sports you can't get much better than the DR 650.
Arpad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #131
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

I bought the Sertao! Can't wait to pick it up.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #132
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
The only real weakness I will echo is the stock front forks. BUT I solved it to my satisfaction with a set of Wirth progressive springs and 15W fork oil... vastly improved over stock.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #133
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Why not an X bike?

I just picked up a X-Moto and it is everything I always wished my KLR650 was. ABS, FI, stronger motor, less weight. If you are sure you aren't going to hammer it off-road all the time, the X bikes are hard to beat for the price.

You can buy nice, low mileage examples for less than a new KLR.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #134
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
I bought the Sertao! Can't wait to pick it up.

Awesome! Congrats, I'm about 95% sure I'll be joining you in the next few weeks (the other 5% is the F800). The more research I do on these (including the Dakar) is that they are rock solid and worth the money. I just finished reading University of Gravel Roads where the author took a 5 year trip around the world on a Dakar and the only mechanical issue was a water pump, which was anticipated and repaired with parts taken with.

Post a report when you get your first ride under your belt.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #135
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,367
Before I got one I would really want to know if they updated the water pump ! Did mine 3 times complete with shaft in about as many years . Have they changed that completely stupid routing of the oil return , you know the one that makes removing the clutch cover almost impossible ! I liked the engine but the rest of it I friggin hated , toque screws in shitty plastic everywhere , it wasn't that hard to work on but taking so much shit off to do simple jobs just pissed me off.

Adjusting the valves was like a major mission and if done at the shop a mortgage payment !

Maybe it's just me but I like the 88 R100GS I swapped it for much better . Bikes shouldn't really be as complicated as they are building them now in my opinion , but that's just me I guess.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote