Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #1366
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomcgotto View Post
Can any Australian's recommend somewhere to get the high Dakar seat from (preferably somewhere in Sydney, but happy to ship internationally if necessary). I'm a short ass but I've just bought the kouba links from fiep so hopefully the combination of the lower suspension but higher seat will make my bike a little more manageable.
Your BMW dealer..
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #1367
cvorwald
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tephrageologist View Post
I read this too where folks were bolting hockey pucks to their Dakar's. I have actually purchased one, and I will be installing after I receive my Touratech foot pad for my Sertao. I am 5'9", so the height of the bike is just at the top of my height comfort zone. Anything I can do to not have this bike lean sooooo much will be awesome. I will keep y'all posted!
Wunderlich makes a side stand enlarger for the Dakar. A reviewer noted it fit the G650GS as well. It raises the stand 20mm. The part number is 8500037. I will install on my Sertao in the next couple of days and let you know if it works out.
cvorwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #1368
scottomcgotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoong View Post
Your BMW dealer..

Haha, thanks for that. Anyone have the part number for the seat so I can do some calling around or it just enough to ask for the 'High Dakar Seat'?

Cheers
scottomcgotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #1369
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomcgotto View Post
Haha, thanks for that. Anyone have the part number for the seat so I can do some calling around or it just enough to ask for the 'High Dakar Seat'?

Cheers
Stock Code: 52532345735

BMW call the seat: BMW - SEAT BENCH, HIGH, BLACK/Standard Dakar

I bought one for my Sertao from BMW in Hobart
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #1370
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tephrageologist View Post
folks were bolting hockey pucks to their Dakar's
Hockey puck works perfectly I recessed the bolt on the bottom so as to not scratch sensitive floors (tile, wood etc)

africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #1371
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 476
^^^ Ahh the hockey puck what cant it do!? The best Canadian made mod for the Sertao (unless you use those inferior Slovak pucks)
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #1372
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
^^^ Ahh the hockey puck what cant it do!? The best Canadian made mod for the Sertao (unless you use those inferior Slovak pucks)
funny
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #1373
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Thats why I made sure the picture showed that it was an official puck lol
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #1374
Fatty Boom
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
Hockey puck works perfectly I recessed the bolt on the bottom so as to not scratch sensitive floors (tile, wood etc)

I also did the mod, but with three screws.

Ice hockey pucks are not easy to find in Africa!
Fatty Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #1375
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Boom View Post
I also did the mod, but with three screws.

Awesome! I'm doing mine soon,

My dealer also researched and found that BMW did indeed change part number's from Dakar et all on the water pump on the new GS and Sertao, so we're all good.
My guy said he has seen a few steering head bearings in for replacement so he said to just keep it adjusted and greased and it should last as long as any other
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #1376
GSJ
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Aux Lighting Recommendations

Considering the purchase of some upgraded lighting for my Sertao. Have about 4k miles on her now since November. Recently added the Touratech 38L panniers and am loving the new cargo capacity!

Which do you think is better option? Mounting 2x PIAA 1100 LEDs under the front fairing with PIAA brackets. I'm not sure how much clearance issues will be encountered with the large front beak and the light beams. These are low wattage, LED, and less expensive option.

Or...

Touratech HID and Fog light mounted on either side with the included brackets that hang just below the turn indicators. These are more costly and will have to find a place to hide the HID ballast, and these use more wattage.

I currently use my heated grips when it's below 35 deg out, hoping to keep that capacity with the additional lights on as well. Not sure if I can do it with the Touratech HID and Fog lights. But I have no experience in judging the alternator power other than running my heated grips.

Thanks for any input!

Jack
GSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #1377
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

I'm getting the Denali HID lights from my beemer dealer. I can't say exactly which model yet, but he says they seem to be the best in his opinion for a decent price anyway. He's going to mount them just under my turn signals and said that there will be no issue with running my grips,GPS and heated jacket liner.
He did say that fog lights really are not worth it if you're doing the HID's. And they do draw more wattage.
I'm sure that fog lights might come in handy, but for me, I will always try to avoid riding at night in fog. I'd hate to clip a moose. They're so tall and their legs are so dark and thin that you can't see them with any fog light. I'll just pull over and camp:)
Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #1378
GSJ
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Lighting Options

Thanks for the reply, my dealer also agrees that having two PIAA LED's is better than one HID and one Fog. I'll check out the Denali's as well. Also looking at the Clearwater Kristas but they'd have to be mounted on my crash bars for the Sertao, and I'm just not sure I want something fragile and expensive mounted there. I'd rather have them hidden away somewhere.

This winter I find myself riding in all sorts of conditions, fog, and slushy-type snow have been recent adventures. My main priorities have changed from ergonomic comfort to the ability to see! So lighting is priority #1 and also some kind of anti-fog visor fan... I have a really goofy Roof Boxer helmet which is awful in the rain and snow. I've resorted to using three different pairs of goggles, and once they ice over, pull over and switch pairs.

Moose are serious! I used to live in Maine and work at a rafting resort, we kept a crushed jeep on the property to remind us what a Moose will do to you if you hit it. It was about 1/2 the length of a normal car and the engine was in the back seat.
GSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #1379
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Yeah,
I live in Vermont and will be tripping all around Maine, NH, Adirondacks and Eastern Canada. Prime moose territory!
I've read so many positive reviews on the old Dakar and the Rotax engine. And ADV Motorcycling Handbook, etc. It really is all you need. I'm kitting out my little Sertao and riding it till the wheels fall off. Then get a new one. Whatever they call it at that point.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #1380
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Boom View Post
I used 2 layers of pizza board
worked for >50kmi on the Dakar
will work on the Sertao just as well

fiep is offline   Reply With Quote