Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #1456
Fatty Boom
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Hey Guys, I brought a Kaoko throttle lock sometime ago from another ADV Sertao owner(Avner) before he moved on to a f800. I never installed it as it doesn't work w/ my current bark busters, Dakar version. I had to buy another one that is a wee bit smaller and fits w/ the my current setup.

Hope Avner doesn't mind but I put a link to his mod page: Scroll down a few pages and you'll see it there. I can take pictures, but Like I said never installed.

http://www.responsetech.us/fam/sertaomods.html

I paid him $62, I'm extending it to any of you guys first at the same price. IF no takers it goes to the Flea Market.

PM me if interested. Paypal perferred as gift.
I have one installed on my Sertao. Works very well.
Fatty Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #1457
Ed Zachary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Center stand form 650GS fit the Sertao?

Bike is lowered with KOUBA link.

See lots of them on e-bay for cheap.

I used the search function, but not so good!

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!
Ed Zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #1458
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty3 View Post
Howdy all,
I'm making a decision soon on a new bike. Its either a late model Dakar (if i can find one) or the new Sertao.
What seems to be the general consensus? Are owners happy with them. Any major issues? Sorry I have been reading the threads but it's gonna take me ages to read through them all.
They get good reviews over here in Oz.
Cheers.

Either one is a great choice. I've read that the Dakar isn't easy to find for cheap. And I suspect the Sertao will be the same. The issues that the Dakar had seem to be small. Mainly the water pump leaking, which BMW fixed on the Sertao. The only issue reported with the new bike is the decompression lever not functioning properly which results in the bike not starting at very inoportune times. BMW is aware of this and will warranty the simple repair. I have only owned one beemer previously (1985 R65LS) but am totally sold on their reliablity, value, dealer support, etc. I love my little Sertao. I will always buy a 650 as long as they offer one. I have made a few minor mods, mostly to protect it and to improve the fit. Definitely toss the old school stock battery in favor of a BMW gel maintenance free unit. Otherwise it's all personal preference.
It's a very capable bike and should last for many miles with good care.
Good luck!
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #1459
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Either one is a great choice. I've read that the Dakar isn't easy to find for cheap. And I suspect the Sertao will be the same. The issues that the Dakar had seem to be small. Mainly the water pump leaking, which BMW fixed on the Sertao. The only issue reported with the new bike is the decompression lever not functioning properly which results in the bike not starting at very inoportune times. BMW is aware of this and will warranty the simple repair. I have only owned one beemer previously (1985 R65LS) but am totally sold on their reliablity, value, dealer support, etc. I love my little Sertao. I will always buy a 650 as long as they offer one. I have made a few minor mods, mostly to protect it and to improve the fit. Definitely toss the old school stock battery in favor of a BMW gel maintenance free unit. Otherwise it's all personal preference.
It's a very capable bike and should last for many miles with good care.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice.
I have seen a few Dakars lately but still keeping prices high here in Aus for late model 2007-2008 ($8000-9000). New Sertao $10900-12000..plus you get 2 year warranty. Seems like the way to go.
Neil.
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #1460
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Here in the states you can find Dakars anywhere from $4000- $7000 all adventured tuned. If you get lucky you can find one that has the USD forks and Ohlins rear suspension which is a pretty costly penny. But overall which ever you choose you wont be disappointed. There great bike that can do everything. I'm scheduled to do some parts of the Trans American Trail this summer. Pictures to follow, good luck on your purchase.
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #1461
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Guys, I brought a Kaoko throttle lock sometime ago from another ADV Sertao owner(Avner) before he moved on to a f800. I never installed it as it doesn't work w/ my current bark busters, Dakar version. I had to buy another one that is a wee bit smaller and fits w/ the my current setup.

Hope Avner doesn't mind but I put a link to his mod page: Scroll down a few pages and you'll see it there. I can take pictures, but Like I said never installed.

http://www.responsetech.us/fam/sertaomods.html

I paid him $62, I'm extending it to any of you guys first at the same price. IF no takers it goes to the Flea Market.

PM me if interested. Paypal perferred as gift.
Any takers? $62 shipped is way better than $120 at Twisted Throttle. I'll post it up on Flea Market by tomorrow. Cheers.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #1462
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,764
Sertao Shop Manual .pdf

does anyone know where i can find a .pdf shop manual for the sertao?

here is a link to the riders manual. it is actually a pretty good riders manual.

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/RiderManuals2012/G650GS.pdf
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #1463
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Here in the states you can find Dakars anywhere from $4000- $7000 all adventured tuned. If you get lucky you can find one that has the USD forks and Ohlins rear suspension which is a pretty costly penny. But overall which ever you choose you wont be disappointed. There great bike that can do everything. I'm scheduled to do some parts of the Trans American Trail this summer. Pictures to follow, good luck on your purchase.
What parts and when? I've been thinking about knocking out some of it this summer as well.
ZBone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #1464
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Tat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
What parts and when? I've been thinking about knocking out some of it this summer as well.
Like any vacation I dont have alot of time on my hands So here's my plan, I will be leaving NYC sometime the first week of July. I will slab it probably doing the blue ridge pkwy for some fun then continuing on all the way to the end of OKC. I will pick it up there and continue on the TAT route to NM/CO/UT then ship the bike back to NYC. If I had the time I will do the whole thing, but everyone tells me that the East Coast of the ride is OK Since I've ridden alot on the East Coast I decided to start at the West Coast side of it for fun. What are your plans..
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #1465
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Like any vacation I dont have alot of time on my hands So here's my plan, I will be leaving NYC sometime the first week of July. I will slab it probably doing the blue ridge pkwy for some fun then continuing on all the way to the end of OKC. I will pick it up there and continue on the TAT route to NM/CO/UT then ship the bike back to NYC. If I had the time I will do the whole thing, but everyone tells me that the East Coast of the ride is OK Since I've ridden alot on the East Coast I decided to start at the West Coast side of it for fun. What are your plans..
Well, I have a bunch of family/friends in OK so I had considered riding the eastern half to OK, leaving my bike there and flying back to WV to work for a month, and then flying back out to OK and picking up where I left off. Still in the early planning stages. I've actually only ridden out west though so I might just end up seeing what trouble I can find around these parts. I would be a little concerned about hitting snow on the passes in CO, but if that's the time you have to go it's just something you'll have to work around. Even if you end up riding slab through CO it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
ZBone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1466
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Well, I have a bunch of family/friends in OK so I had considered riding the eastern half to OK, leaving my bike there and flying back to WV to work for a month, and then flying back out to OK and picking up where I left off. Still in the early planning stages. I've actually only ridden out west though so I might just end up seeing what trouble I can find around these parts. I would be a little concerned about hitting snow on the passes in CO, but if that's the time you have to go it's just something you'll have to work around. Even if you end up riding slab through CO it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Yes I'm aware of the snow up around CO, I've read that it's possible that the roads have not yet been cleared. Guess its the chance I have to take, but your right nothing wrong w/ riding around CO. I'm still in the planning stages, gear/bike setup/etc. Many things to look at but I'm a light traveler and expect to camp most of West Coast part of my trip. Hope to see you on the road possibly. Ride Safe.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #1467
ausbaxter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
well i took the plunge after my klr650 got stolen

now i just have to wait for delivery :S
ausbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #1468
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Excellent!
Congrats, I love mine, Its Winter here and the temps have been in the low teens to single digits F. But as long as its not going to snow, I have taken mine out and around town, So much fun.
Best of luck on the wait ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbaxter View Post
well i took the plunge after my klr650 got stolen

now i just have to wait for delivery :S
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #1469
ausbaxter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
Excellent!
Congrats, I love mine, Its Winter here and the temps have been in the low teens to single digits F. But as long as its not going to snow, I have taken mine out and around town, So much fun.
Best of luck on the wait ;)
its +35 Celsius here atm so prepare for beach run videos to cool off
ausbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #1470
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbaxter View Post
its +35 Celsius here atm so prepare for beach run videos to cool off
Yes, Soon it will be switched, Living in the Desert has its perks for sure, No real Beach fun, But plenty to see and do, I'm planning my first real camping adventure in May, In the San Rafael Swell in Southern Utah, Near Moab, Planning for 3 days, But who knows.
Be sure to let us know how your Sertao works out.

EDIT...
FWIW, Its a balmy -2.2 at the moment ;) This is right around the temps I have been riding in :)