Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,664
AMA for me. I think every motorcyclist should belong to the organization that lobbies for us and fights to protect our freedoms. Roadside assistance is FREE with auto renewal of membership and covers all vehicles in the family including kids at college. My daughter had a flat while away at college and got a tow to a tire center. That alone was worth the price of AMA membership. She also used the Lock-Out Assistance one time at college.

Also, I've saved way more than the membership cost on discounts for parts at BikeBandit every year for the past five years.

From their website:

AMA Roadside Assistance Program Share

This benefit is FREE when you sign up for auto-renewal! Coverage for all your vehicles in your household, including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and even trailers!
Vehicles

Automobiles, motorcycles, motorhomes and trailers are covered.

Towing Services

Towing services are covered up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility (or to any other location requested by the member of equal distance at no expense to the member). If over 35 miles, the member is only responsible for the overages incurred after the 35-miles coverage
Service Limitations

Only one service call for the same service type within seven days
  • Example: One tow per seven days, one lockout per seven days, one jumpstart per seven days, etc.
  • Member can have more than one service call within a seven-day period, but it cannot be the same service.

AMA 24-Hour Roadside Assistance Services

All roadside services are covered at no expense to the member.
Battery Service/Vehicle Won’t Start
  • Jump start service.
  • If motorcycle with battery failure, we will tow motorcycle (up to towing coverage listed earlier).
Flat-tire Assistance
  • Flat tire change (to spare).
  • If no spare (for motorcycle), we can tow the vehicle (up to towing coverage listed earlier).
Fuel, Oil, Fluid and Water Delivery Service
  • Fuel – unleaded or diesel fuel.
  • Fluids – water, oil, or other fluid.
  • Member pays provider for fuel/fluid itself.
  • Member will not pay for service call charge for provider to deliver to the breakdown location.
Lock-out Assistance
  • If keys locked inside vehicle – we will send out provider to unlock vehicle.
  • If a locksmith is necessary to assist with key in trunk and if the locksmith can access trunk release from inside vehicle, it will be covered.
  • If no acc ess to a trunk release or a key needs to be made – provider pays for the cost of the service charge for locksmith to go out to the location but member is responsible for cost of key and labor associated with making key.
  • If lockout service is unsuccessful, provider will tow the vehicle (up to towing coverage listed earlier).
Mobile Mechanic Assistance (for RV vehicles)
  • Program covers service call for Mobile Mechanic to go out to the location.
  • Does not cover cost of parts, labor/repair, lubricants, installation or materials necessary to complete repair work on site.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 10:27 PM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
pfloydgad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Thumb

I have had Progressive for over 15 yrs now, and I have the clause of "Emergency Services" for my Connie.
I am lucky in the fact that I have never had a claim, ever, and I know I pay next to nothing for it.
I have full replacement coverage for $98 a Yr..
Man I love being over 50 and grandfathered in on rates.
Ride safe all,
Greg
pfloydgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 434
I have the Progressive with Roadside Svc. My buddy also has it. We were on a week long camping trip headed up into Arkansas when his FJR would not start after refueling. Long story short, Progressive towed his bike about 60 miles to the closest authorized shop and put him up for a night in the Holiday Inn Express while the shop had a battery Fed-Ex'ed. Battery was on my buddy, but Progressive flipped the bill for Fed-Ex, as it was cheaper than them paying for a room another night. Awesome svc. When we got to our camp site the next night, the rep from Progressive had called and did a follow up to make sure he was good. Unusally good service in today's time.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
V-Tour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I had a break down with my BMW RT last fall at Grand Coulee WA. My AARP auto coverage sent a flat bed wrecker from Spokane to pick me up. We arrived in Spokane after the dealer closed and they unloaded me at the motel of my choice and arrived at 8:00 AM to reload the bike and deliver me to the dealer. Total trip for the wrecker about 180 miles, 90 miles carrying the bike.
NO Charge. . . I was towed one other time by AARP when I dropped my scooter (Burgman 650) in a bad snow storm going over Shasta Pass in California. I paid $350.00 to the wrecker and AARP reimbursed me for all but $50 and told me if I had called them and let them pick the wrecker it would have all been covered.

I have towing on my BMW Owners membership, my AllState Insurance but they are all very limited. The AARP Rocks!
V-Tour
2008 R1200 RT BMW
2007 Honda Reflex

V-Tour screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 06:08 PM Reason: Left off something
V-Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I have AAA but when I needed it for my bike down in Kentucky last summer I found out that only my car and truck were covered. I thought I would be out the cost of the tow, but when I got home I checked with my insurance company and they covered it. I have Foremost Insurance. I'm a HOG member, but their coverage is only for Harleys of course. That's the first time I ever was stranded on the side of the road with any kind of vehicle and it has made me pay more attention to this kind of information.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
BMW Kurt OP
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfriar View Post
I have AAA but when I needed it for my bike down in Kentucky last summer I found out that only my car and truck were covered. I thought I would be out the cost of the tow, but when I got home I checked with my insurance company and they covered it. I have Foremost Insurance. I'm a HOG member, but their coverage is only for Harleys of course. That's the first time I ever was stranded on the side of the road with any kind of vehicle and it has made me pay more attention to this kind of information.
I have heard a lot of good things about Foremost. Unfortunately, I live in North Carolina and they make it so hard for insurance companies to do business here that many companies won't insure here. Foremost is one of them.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote