Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #2041
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Was it camera angles? On the still shot I saw from ESPN there were three officials looking right at it.
One camera angle was perpendicular to the ball and the sticks and there was easily a 6 inch gap between the end of the ball and the marker. Has to be one of the worst calls I've seen in a while. It's not like it was a live play.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #2042
OuttaMyWay
I shook his hand!!!!1!!

Oddometer: 8,036
Remember when the major college officials were too good and too valuable to their conferences and weren't released to be NFL replacements?

When I was a head linesman, my referee always said, "If it's a first down, spot the ball so it's a first down; if it's not, spot it so it's not. No 1-inch measurements."

Clowney's solution on "first down" was legendary.

Now would be a constructive time to crawl down off of bullshit mountain.
--Grainbelt
OuttaMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #2043
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaMyWay View Post
When I was a head linesman,
Just checking, we are talking about football here, right?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #2044
OuttaMyWay
I shook his hand!!!!1!!

Oddometer: 8,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Just checking, we are talking about football here, right?
Yeah.

Now would be a constructive time to crawl down off of bullshit mountain.
--Grainbelt
OuttaMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #2045
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
I see that Boise State has decided to stay in the Mountain West. Fitting, as that's where they belong.

Interesting TV rights agreement for home games could prove very profitable.

Another blow to the Big East, but they should be used to it by now.
Damn -as noted I was really looking forward to the Temple rivalry.

Also - we get to wear blue on the Blue. It looks way worse on TV but plays with folks heads a bit.

President Kustra isn't stupid - he leveraged his way back into the MW with very favorable home TV rights.

After a pretty decent year and a win over Washington all is well in potatoland.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #2046
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post

Also - we get to wear blue on the Blue. It looks way worse on TV but plays with folks heads a bit.

President Kustra isn't stupid - he leveraged his way back into the MW with very favorable home TV rights.

It is interesting how the MtnWest is holding SDSt's feet to the fire. Sounds like MtnWest would like to pick up a Tulsa, Houston, SMU or UTEP before letting SDSt back in. Most realistic is UTEP. Personally I'd prefer SDSt back over them, can understand a doubtful Houston or SMU add for the media market though. SDSt is part of MtnWest. They left a bad taste in the mouth, but I like traditional rivalries in college sports.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #2047
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,853
The end of the mid majors?

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but it seems like with the ascension of the major conferences in college football in popularity we've also seen a steady erosion in the "mid majors" or the lesser conferences.

I know here in New Mexico, NMSt has been at the precipice for "Bowl Subdivision" participation for some time. UNM in spite of doing much better over this year had pretty lousy attendance in key games. My hometown ColoState is looking at putting a stadium on campus to shore up its declining attendance...

Tonight I was looking for information on Northern Illinois' coach, as they interviewed the departed HC (a spectator) during the Orange Bowl, but I didn't catch where he was going. (NCSt)

From the article, Northern Illinois has put on a consistently winning team, has nice facilities, lot's of alums nearby, but still their attendance dwindles.

LINK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTimes
...Even on the university’s 756-acre campus, there were few outward signs of enthusiasm for a team that had won 20 of its last 21 games, had earned its highest national ranking since 2003 and had a Heisman Trophy candidate in quarterback Jordan Lynch. It illustrated what some describe as a disconnect between the team, the community and the student body, the causes of which are difficult to identify.

The team has done its part, winning the most games in the MAC in the last decade. Its 83 percent graduation rate ranks 16th in the nation.

“It’s hard to understand,” said former quarterback Tim Tyrrell, a conference MVP. “How do you not go out to watch that team? Maybe there’s more to do or people are watching it on TV. I don’t know what to blame it on. Northern is doing a great job of trying to maintain everything that would grow sports in college. They have winning programs. They’re trying to bring back alumni. They don’t just call when they need money. They have really attempted sincerely to get you involved with the school. I don’t know. I don’t understand. The facilities are ridiculous [compared to] when I was there. They’re getting the athletes. They’re just not getting the kids out there. I don’t know why.”

There’s no easy answer for why attendance has declined, even though NIU has 165,000 alumni in the Chicago area, according to Joe Matty, executive director and CEO of the NIU Alumni Association. A myriad of factors might or might not help explain the empty seats at Huskie Stadium when Toledo visited Nov. 14...
Is the 52" flatscreen man caves watching the bigs the wave of the future? Will the "others" of the Bowl Championship SubDivision be able to continue as they are in the future? Over the past few years the haves have been able to truly institutionalize the money situation. I wonder what college football will look like in 10 to 20 years.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #2048
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
The end of the mid majors?

Is the 52" flatscreen man caves watching the bigs the wave of the future? Will the "others" of the Bowl Championship SubDivision be able to continue as they are in the future? Over the past few years the haves have been able to truly institutionalize the money situation. I wonder what college football will look like in 10 to 20 years.

It sure seems that way. Even some of the older times top conferences are struggling for viability. Is it basketball? Much less expensive a program to run and the ROI is fantastic for these big schools. Tickets are harder to get, fewer of them, more demand. I know the UCONN girls team is sold out and tickets are like gold. It's warm and you don't have to worry your PCD/PED gets wet.

I think the NFL is pretty concerned too. They surely do not want to lose their free farm system.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #2049
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post

I know here in New Mexico, NMSt has been at the precipice for "Bowl Subdivision" participation for some time. UNM in spite of doing much better over this year had pretty lousy attendance in key games. My hometown ColoState is looking at putting a stadium on campus to shore up its declining attendance...

Interesting observation.

With their success Boise State has expanded the stadium 3X. We still do not sell out every home game however. In addition, the lack of parking due to the indoor sports complex and now the new football facility in the north end zone took away our tailgate spot.

Now happy to watch on TV.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #2050
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post

Any TV deal ought to mandate getting rid of that "field" I refuse to watch any of their home games.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #2051
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Any TV deal ought to mandate getting rid of that "field" I refuse to watch any of their home games.
But come on, it adds to the whole smurf mystique!!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #2052
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
But come on, it adds to the whole smurf mystique!!

....and makes the whole Boise State thing seem gimmicky and minor league.

IMHO anyway.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #2053
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
....and makes the whole Boise State thing seem gimmicky and minor league.

IMHO anyway.
I'm sure off TV, and in the daylight, that field looks as good as all those girls I took home after last call, the next morning when the light of day hit 'em and I was sober!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #2054
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Go Gators!

...that is all.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #2055
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL