User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #781
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom

Oddometer: 15,414
Biology. The Africa class is one of my upper division electives since everything else was taken by the time UT got me admitted, advised, and registered. Took freaking 6+ months for them to accept me, and I came in with a 4.0! And, judging by some of my classmates, it is not the most selective university in the world.

Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #782
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 3,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi View Post
I don't care about Muschamp's reactions on the sidelines. I just think he's a big, stupid, awful dickbag of a person, and I don't care for his brand of ball at my beloved Florida Field. To me, he does not "feel" like Florida football. I don't feel like he gets it. Spurrier got it. Spurrier WAS Florida football. And, he could get pissed and spout off and annoy people, but I never felt like he was thoroughly ungracious and terrible.

And, under Muschamp's tutelage, thus far, we've sucked. Sucked the big one.

All that said, I wore an orange and white plaid shirt today and was singled out by my professor in my Politics of Sub-Saharan Africa class for actually dressing appropriately on a Friday before a big game. Little did he know just how close that one was...
I actually kind of like Muschamp and think he may end up being an effective HC, however Linzi's statement "To me, he does not "feel" like Florida football. I don't feel like he gets it." is a VERY valid point. I'm not a fan of Saban ball either...Spurrier's teams were fun AND good.

Spurrier will always be the quintessential Gator, but his time here is passed.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #783
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,671
An Important And Urgent Announcement!

This just in....

Might be a serious game changer, and positive spin for the underdog Florida Gators.

Tennessee's most important man, on the field of play, might not make it for the game tomorrow. This late breaking event will surely send shock waves through the college football ranks.

In other news, a spoiler. The "surprise" guest tomorrow for ESPN's morning "Game Day" edition will be none other than Hair Club for Men spokesmodel Kenny Chesney. I suspect he'll be not only wearing a Florida hat, but also a pair of 4" lifts in his Bass Weegins.

Those of you who wish to see Mr. Chesney along with the cast of ESPN Gameday will find them tonight in the Rumpus Room at Litton's market
and grill on South Broadway in Fountain City.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #784
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon View Post
What's more pathetic is that when USC scheduled that game, Syracuse was an even bigger joke than it is today. Literally, the worst d1 team in the country.

Easy now....that is Running Back U. I have suffered for a long time.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #785
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Easy now....that is Running Back U. I have suffered for a long time.

Brown

Davis

and Jurgen's favorite Little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
The Legend of 44
On November 12, 2005, Syracuse University retired one of the most storied numbers ever associated with a college football program — #44 — to honor the legacy of those who wore it as well as the number itself, which has become so associated with Syracuse that the university's ZIP code, 13244, was requested by university officials to remember those who wore 44 for the Orange. [9]
Since 1954, 11 players have worn the number and three earned All-America honors. The three most famous #44s — Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little — certainly rank among the finest running backs to ever play the game. Brown, who played at SU from 1954-56 and led the team to a Cotton Bowl berth, went on to become the NFL’s all-time leading rusher and a member of the Pro and College Football Halls of Fame. He led the league in rushing eight times in his nine years. Many still point to him as the greatest running back of all time.
Davis played for the Orange from 1959-61. He won the 1961 Heisman Trophy, becoming the first African-American to do so, and was a starter on SU’s 1959 national championship team. Davis also signed to play with the Cleveland Browns, but the devastating combination of Davis and Brown in the same backfield never came to pass. Davis died of leukemia in 1963. He was later inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.
Little was a three-time All-America for the Orange. He played from 1964-66 and led SU to the Sugar Bowl in 1964 and the Gator Bowl in 1966 (teaming in the backfield with Larry Csonka in the latter). Little was the greatest kick returner in Orange history. He led the nation in all-purpose yardage in 1965, averaging 199 yards per game. Little went on to have a tremendous career with the Denver Broncos, winning back-to-back rushing titles in 1970-71. He, too, was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Quote:
Syracuse football athletes in the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Jim Brown - Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 1971
Jim Ringo - Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 1981
Larry Csonka - Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 1987
John Mackey - Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 1992
Al Davis - Enshrined as a coach and not a player. Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 1992
Art Monk - Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2008
Floyd Little - Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #786
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

I see now why Florida fans so cling to the "greatness" of the SEC, especially in theses down years. Its the curse of the nuveau good.

Quote:
Spurrier era: 19902001
Despite their prior successes, the Gators had never been considered a national power, having never officially won a conference championship in eighty-three seasons of play. Things changed in 1990: Steve Spurrier returned to Gainesville as the Gators' Head Ball Coach. In the debut game of Spurrier's Gators, they blew past the Oklahoma State Cowboys 507. In their second game, they came from behind to beat the Alabama Crimson Tide 1713 in Tuscaloosa. Since Spurrier's return in 1990, the Gators football team has been the winningest Division I (FBS) program.[2]

Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #787
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post

cool history, I always thought of them as more of a basketball school
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #788
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
I see now why Florida fans so cling to the "greatness" of the SEC, especially in theses down years. Its the curse of the nuveau good.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #789
bergermeister
housin'

Quote:
ouch

I had to scroll by 4 other schools with 'Florida' in the name to find them:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...m/_/stat/total

risked some serious carpal tunnel just getting there
Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #790
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
cool history, I always thought of them as more of a basketball school
In the 50's and 60's they were pretty damn good, with one national championship. My understanding is they were amongst the trendsetters in integration too.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #791
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

The Express 44

I just watched it for about the eighteenth time just last night. Sad ending to what should have been the most awesome of careers.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #792
bergermeister
housin'

Quote:
In the 50's and 60's they were pretty damn good, with one national championship. My understanding is they were amongst the trendsetters in integration too.
nice. not to be too self serving, but I feel compelled to mention my alma mater when talking integration:

UCLA

Robinson in his UCLA track uniform

After graduating from PJC in spring 1939,[34] Robinson transferred to UCLA, where he became the school's first athlete to win varsity letters in four sports: baseball, basketball, football, and track.[35][36] He was one of four black players on the 1939 UCLA Bruins football team; the others were Woody Strode, Kenny Washington, and Ray Bartlett. Washington, Strode, and Robinson made up three of the team's four backfield players.[37] At a time when only a handful of black players existed in mainstream college football, this made UCLA college football's most integrated team.[38][39] In track and field, Robinson won the 1940 NCAA Men's Outdoor Track and Field Championship in the Long Jump, jumping 24'10.5".[40] Belying his future career, baseball was Robinson's "worst sport" at UCLA; he hit .097 in his only season, although in his first game he went 4-for-4 and twice stole home.[41]
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #793
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
I just watched it for about the eighteenth time just last night. Sad ending to what should have been the most awesome of careers.
I have one framed jersey. (Hell one jersey) It's Floyd's.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #794
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,756
Go to hell Tennessee.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #795
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 3,990
Quote:
weak troll. Bait not taken.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: