Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
276c and 76Cx owner

I've used a couple of 276c's really hard the last few years.... above 30k of dual sport riding, mostly on XR650L and DR650SE.

Love them, but the memory limitation is kinda bad - yeah, I can get coast to coast maps loaded at once, but if I'm wander too far from my planned route I might have to load some different maps... but I carry a netbook anyways because I do such long rides.

Got a couple of 76Cx's to run strictly to record tracks, ride from 276c, record tracks at higher frequency on the 76's saved to the uSD card. Screen is too small on 76's for my tastes to ride by.

I've picked up several different Garmin GPS's this winter... think I might have found some interesting ones. Newer chipset, SD memory, buttons, good sized screens, more routes, more tracks, waterproof. Downside? No batteries, powered by bike only. But since the bikes I ride for this kind of riding all have batteries, I'm not seeing that as a problem. Some of the vendors say you can't use Mapsource with them, but Garmin's manual for these units specifically talk about using Mapsource to load waypoints, routes and tracks... even maps. When I get home (I'm in Afghanistan working) in mid-February I'll do some testing and let you know. Don't want to say what models until I know for sure they'll do what I want them to do.

But there are other options out there.....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #17
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
montana vs 376

After much reading , I believe I will hold off once again and continue on, with my two 376's. I replaced my older unit with a brand new one from garmin using their replacement program, it cost me $175.00, but as far as I can tell its a brand new unit

The Montana does have lots of "Neat" features however when it comes to a GPS mounted on a motorcycle, ATV or Snowmobile I'm not sure MORE is necessarily better. Its happened to often that voice prompts and a demanding GPS has led me to make wrong turns. Its not allways the GPS fault but for example in a city with off ramps spaced close together, I found that when I was relying to heavily on the GPS I was not paying close enough attention to actual road signs.

For me I like to have a nice large screen, easy to control zoom and pan, a few data fields, and a route or track highlighted for me to follow. As far as the talking, beeping, pop up "TURN NOW" windows, I keep all that turned off.

I've done 4 "Iron Butt" Rides the first using a 176, and 3 using my 376c. The last ride was a BunBurner 1500. Knowing I had to pay close attention and ride as efficiently as possible, I rode it with highlighted tracks only, the ride was simple and easy...well maybe not "easy" but the navigating part was easy.
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
After much reading , I believe I will hold off once again and continue on, with my two 376's. I replaced my older unit with a brand new one from garmin using their replacement program, it cost me $175.00, but as far as I can tell its a brand new unit
I've come to the same conclusion with my current pair of 478. Like you I'll probably do a replacement when needed with a refurb from Garmin and use them until I can't.

Quote:
The Montana does have lots of "Neat" features however when it comes to a GPS mounted on a motorcycle, ATV or Snowmobile I'm not sure MORE is necessarily better. Its happened to often that voice prompts and a demanding GPS has led me to make wrong turns. Its not allways the GPS fault but for example in a city with off ramps spaced close together, I found that when I was relying to heavily on the GPS I was not paying close enough attention to actual road signs.
I've encountered this and it frightens me a bit. People paying too much attention to a device and not enough to the road signs and traffic conditions.

Quote:
For me I like to have a nice large screen, easy to control zoom and pan, a few data fields, and a route or track highlighted for me to follow.
One of my main dislikes of the newer units is the degraded screen resolution. The displays are just not nearly as sharp.

The one slightly alarming fact in all this is that Garmin is not really addressing legacy units such as ours when they develop new software. MapSource is at a dead end. BaseCamp (both flavors) has some very useful features and is still being actively developed. Not all of the new stuff is rearward compatible though, and some of it involves workarounds so here's my point. Join the Garmin Forum and get involved. The development teams are open to input and the only way we're going to insure support for legacy units is to convince the people writing code that the numbers of users justify it. It also gives you a bit of insight into whats coming, what isn't working etc, and some voice in what users would like to see the desktop apps actually do. You might even see a few familiar handles.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #19
zedx9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I'm liking what I see with the 650t except a lack of xm weather. I have weather on my 478 and love it. I'm not sure I'm ready to part with my 478 for something without that option. Add xm weather with nexrad and I'm all over it.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Join the [COLOR=RoyalBlue
Garmin Forum[/COLOR] and get involved. The development teams are open to input and the only way we're going to insure support for legacy units is to convince the people writing code that the numbers of users justify it. It also gives you a bit of insight into whats coming, what isn't working etc, and some voice in what users would like to see the desktop apps actually do. You might even see a few familiar handles.
Thanks SW, I will give it look. Regarding Mapsource and Basecamp, I still use Mapsourse and Roads and Recreation along with City Nav. For ATV and Snowmobile use I haven't found anything I like better than Roads and Rec. Ya I know its old but it gets the job done for me better than anything else. I have a backup CD just in case.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedx9 View Post
I'm liking what I see with the 650t except a lack of xm weather. I have weather on my 478 and love it. I'm not sure I'm ready to part with my 478 for something without that option. Add xm weather with nexrad and I'm all over it.
I have a Nexrad subscription for my 376 as well, and love it. Many times it has proved very useful to see severe storms in my path. If its just green keep on riding, if its yellow, zip up your stitch, if there's RED pull over.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
zedx9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
I have a Nexrad subscription for my 376 as well, and love it. Many times it has proved very useful to see severe storms in my path. If its just green keep on riding, if its yellow, zip up your stitch, if there's RED pull over.

Same here. Having been "trapped" by weather and caught in bad hail on road trips with my wife prior to having the 478 with nexrad, she's not interested in doing without. I've used mine plenty of times to sort my way through the edge's of slow moving storms where knowing your on the outer edge (even if you are getting rained on) rather than running through the middle is awesome. Without the radar it's an uneducated guess. It's also let me know when to reroute or stop early if rerouting is not an option. Like I said, I like what I see with the 650t, just not sure I'm ready (my wife is not) to live with out the nexrad feature.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #23
jrsue OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Steve W;17536277]
One of my main dislikes of the newer units is the degraded screen resolution. The displays are just not nearly as sharp.

Really?? I was under the impression, from posts here, that the Montana would have a much sharper, clearer, screen than say my 376. All the more reason to stick with what I got :
Old 12-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
FLY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
...but as George Harrison famously sang, all things must pass. ..
From the same source:. It's a love that lasts forever, It's a love that has no past. ..

I'm very happy with my 278 (EU version of 478)except memory card. Would be so hard for Garmin to put Montana's bowel ,few knobs and double size screen in bigger box ?Technically sure not,but you know..market demand..bla bla..On the road,on the trail,on the water,in the air GPSs,no problem.They make even GPSs for dogs.
But GPS for Off road,dual sport?WTF!?
We are lucky that there was a market "failure" like 276c,478..
Cheers
FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #25
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY View Post
But GPS for Off road,dual sport?WTF!?
We are lucky that there was a market "failure" like 276c,478..
Cheers
LOL ya it was a failure only because of all the ignorant people complaining to Garmin that, they were "to difficult" to use with "to many settings". So everything we see now is all dumbed down to appease the masses.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #26
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,445
Quote:
LOL ya it was a failure only because of all the ignorant people complaining to Garmin that, they were "to difficult" to use with "to many settings". So everything we see now is all dumbed down to appease the masses.
The 478 was a failure for me because it was a POS. Had to replace mine 3 times. Didn't even bother to use the 3rd replacement, just sold the pile of crap.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #27
JediMaster
Adam Lewis

Oddometer: 333
Question Replace or repair???

Some interesting posts here. Both for and against.

I own two 276c's. One's in a draw at my sisters house with a failed screen. The other's on my bike but a few months ago it developed a 'hot'spot' about the size of a finger tip in the lower l/h corner. It's not a problem when navigating but its right over the coordinates on the WP page which is bloody annoying.

I'm on a RTW trip (currently in Suriname) but will be heading back to Europe this year via the US.

I'm wondering whether its worth taking advantage of the lower US prices (a Montana is GBP550 in the UK) to dare I say 'upgrade?' to a Montana or whether to have both my 276c's overhauled by Garmin.

A couple of questions...

How long do Garmin take to complete the overhaul?

Are all my tracks/waypoints compatible with Basecamp?

What about all my South America maps from the various sources? Is anyone using any of the following with Basecamp?

Colombia: Colrut | Mapa ruteable y topográfico, gratuitos para su GPS.
Venezuela: gpsyv.net Hogar del VENRUT, el Mapa GPS Ruteable de Venezuela para Equipos Garmin Nuvi, GPSMap, Nokia y HTC
Peru: PERUT=Peru Ruteable
Bolivia/Argentina/Chile: ViajerosMapas - Mapas gratis para GPS
Argentina: GPS de Argentina y del ConoSur
Argentina/Uruguay/Chile/Paraguay: Proyecto Mapear
Brazil: Tracksource - Mapas Gratuitos para GPS

Adam

ShortWayRound/Facebook

ShortWayRound Smugmug Gallery

Trails of North America...a photo journal

Trails of South America (PtI)... a photo journal

"The brave may not live forever - but the cautious do not live at all" - unknown philosopher
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #28
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Some interesting posts here. Both for and against.

I own two 276c's. One's in a draw at my sisters house with a failed screen. The other's on my bike but a few months ago it developed a 'hot'spot' about the size of a finger tip in the lower l/h corner. It's not a problem when navigating but its right over the coordinates on the WP page which is bloody annoying.

I'm on a RTW trip (currently in Suriname) but will be heading back to Europe this year via the US.

I'm wondering whether its worth taking advantage of the lower US prices (a Montana is GBP550 in the UK) to dare I say 'upgrade?' to a Montana or whether to have both my 276c's overhauled by Garmin.

A couple of questions...

How long do Garmin take to complete the overhaul?

Are all my tracks/waypoints compatible with Basecamp?

What about all my South America maps from the various sources? Is anyone using any of the following with Basecamp?

Colombia: Colrut | Mapa ruteable y topográfico, gratuitos para su GPS.
Venezuela: gpsyv.net Hogar del VENRUT, el Mapa GPS Ruteable de Venezuela para Equipos Garmin Nuvi, GPSMap, Nokia y HTC
Peru: PERUT=Peru Ruteable
Bolivia/Argentina/Chile: ViajerosMapas - Mapas gratis para GPS
Argentina: GPS de Argentina y del ConoSur
Argentina/Uruguay/Chile/Paraguay: Proyecto Mapear
Brazil: Tracksource - Mapas Gratuitos para GPS

Adam
I have several of these installed. Some provide the new GMAPI install and some don't. Those that don't can be converted to install in BaseCamp.

If your data is in GPX format BaseCamp will import them.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
JediMaster
Adam Lewis

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I have several of these installed. Some provide the new GMAPI install and some don't. Those that don't can be converted to install in BaseCamp.

If your data is in GPX format BaseCamp will import them.

Cheers,
Good news about the maps but all my data is in .gdb format. Is that going to cause me problems?

ShortWayRound/Facebook

ShortWayRound Smugmug Gallery

Trails of North America...a photo journal

Trails of South America (PtI)... a photo journal

"The brave may not live forever - but the cautious do not live at all" - unknown philosopher
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Good news about the maps but all my data is in .gdb format. Is that going to cause me problems?
No problem.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote