Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
A question:

I usually create a route first then convert it to a track before loading onto my GPS. I usually delete the route before loading.

But sometimes I want to create a route from a track. After doing this, how do I get rid of all the little flag symbols (points) that clutter the route up??
I have asked this question many times also.
I assume the track "points" are turned into waypoints, that then get a flag.

I have played with a software package that can cut down the number of points in the track before converting it.
I also think base came gives you that same option. Then I guess you just need open that new route (converted from track) and use the eraser feature? Major PITA and time consuming.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
A question:

I usually create a route first then convert it to a track before loading onto my GPS. I usually delete the route before loading.

But sometimes I want to create a route from a track. After doing this, how do I get rid of all the little flag symbols (points) that clutter the route up??
The points you are seeing are Via Points. You can adjust the number of Via Points used when you convert the Track.

If your routing doesn't require any via points you can remove all but two - usually you will need some via points in a Track to Route conversion. BaseCamp doesn't pass Blue Flags any more, at least not on my GPS's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I just ran test with Mapsource and 76C.

You are correct at least in some part.

I had 6 tracks in 76C, 3 set to "Show", 3 set to "Not Show".

I uploaded to Mapsource, Saved as .gpx, opened .gpx file, and downloaded tracks back to cleared 76C.

They were now all "Show". This does not happen if you use Mapsource and .gdb files.

I am guessing that the .gpx format which is not a Gramin thing just does not support this bit.

When you open a .gpx file with Mapsource, it seems like it converts it to .gdb (not real clear) and defaults the "show on map" bit ot "Show". I know the 76C does not alter the bit like the 78 does. No matter how you have bits set in Mapsource .gdb, when you send to 78 it turns them all to "Not Show". This is a eal PITSA for promoters who want to give customers the correct "Show" and "Color" and not have to give them a long paper instructions for them to change them all.
I understand your pain. The issue is as you discovered and I attempted to articulate. MapSource is based on GDB data and communicates with your GPS using GDB data (Garmin proprietary). There is no standard GPX attribute for this information. GPX specification allows for anyone to create Extensions to any of the GPX data Types. Garmin has created Extensions but not one for "Show on Map".

I encourage you to post in the BaseCamp-Win or Mac Garmin Forum requesting this feature. I have requested it of the Montana team. Since there is currently no GPX Extension definition for "Show on Map" I don't expect to see this anytime soon - although the Montana Team did indicate that they had given it some thought.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Question about Joining Tracks/Routes

When I'm planning a long multi day ride. I sometimes have the need to join tracks. Under "Advanced" option is the option to join tracks.

So, I have a route from A to B and another from C to D. I want to join together at B & C, (they are usually real close, ending one and starting another), how do I keep the straight line from A all the way over to D??
Old 01-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,926
The link at the beginning of the thread is not longer working. They have issued a newer version. Try this link: http://developer.garmin.com/apps/BC/...3.0.3_Beta.exe

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
The link at the beginning of the thread is not longer working. They have issued a newer version. Try this link: http://developer.garmin.com/apps/BC/...3.0.3_Beta.exe
Yep! Thanks for posting.

If you're running the BC beta's you will have updated to the latest beta automatically - it's required.

Here is the latest info from the Dev' Team:
We are very interested in your feedback, please report bugs and oddities you find, and comment on the new features.
  • Fixed + and - to correctly zoom in and out
  • Fixed crash that could occur when ejecting a device
  • Fixed issue where columns in the Detailed User Data View could get repeated
  • Fixed issue where Undo and holding the Alt Key would terminate the current route creation using the Route Tool
  • Fixed to be able to read waypoint categories from newer devices.
  • Added ability to edit phone numbers in the Waypoint Contact Info tab.
  • Fixed zumo 5x0 and 4x0 route transfer issues. Note that this may cause route transfer issues on the zumo 660. A future firmware update on the 660 will address this issue
  • Fixed any profiles from BaseCamp 3.2 that have invalid routing preferences (ie invalid vehicle types and incorrect avoidances)

Known Issues:
Proximity waypoints sent to SD cards in outdoor devices will not have the proximity show up in the device. Sending the waypoints directly to the device does work.
Reading routes from a Zumo 660 may cause a crash. Issues is being investigated, but the circumstances seem to be rare.
The map refresh speed on these beta's is not as good as the public release so be advised.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #22
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Creating a waypoint?

I am new to Basecamp and am fairly competent with Mapsource.

I am trying to create waypoints that I already have coordinates - so in Mapsource I would use the waypoint tool to make a waypoint anywhere on the map and then change the coordinates in the info box.

When I try to do this in Basecamp - it will not allow me to change the coordinates. Any simple way to accomplish this? Thanks
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
I am new to Basecamp and am fairly competent with Mapsource.

I am trying to create waypoints that I already have coordinates - so in Mapsource I would use the waypoint tool to make a waypoint anywhere on the map and then change the coordinates in the info box.

When I try to do this in Basecamp - it will not allow me to change the coordinates. Any simple way to accomplish this? Thanks
I've checked the current and Beta versions of BC-Win and I don't seem to have any problem changing coordinates in an existing waypoint using the Properties "position" window.

?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I thought it would be good to start a new Garmin BaseCamp thread so we could potentially have one. I know some don't like that concept but let's see how it goes.
I'm trying do figure out if I should use Basecamp.

I'm using Mapsource to manipulate tracks and install custom maps.

I very seldom load routes, but I do occasionally create routes in the computer just to see how far I am from some destination.

I also use Mapsource as an entry method for Google Earth.

My GPS's are all 60 series.

Would Basecamp work better for these activities?

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I'm trying do figure out if I should use Basecamp.

I'm using Mapsource to manipulate tracks and install custom maps.

I very seldom load routes, but I do occasionally create routes in the computer just to see how far I am from some destination.

I also use Mapsource as an entry method for Google Earth.

My GPS's are all 60 series.

Would Basecamp work better for these activities?
BaseCamp will do the same things - just a bit different in the way the tool methods work. It has some advantages in Track Edit and it does do Track-to-Route conversion and Route-to-Track conversion easily. Your GPSMAP 60 doesn't support BirdsEye Imagery so no value there. Unless you just thinks it's time to "get familiar" with current software, I'd stay where you are.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
BaseCamp will do the same things - just a bit different in the way the tool methods work. It has some advantages in Track Edit and it does do Track-to-Route conversion and Route-to-Track conversion easily. Your GPSMAP 60 doesn't support BirdsEye Imagery so no value there. Unless you just thinks it's time to "get familiar" with current software, I'd stay where you are.

Cheers,
Well, being retired I don't have a lot of time to screw around with stuff. (For the non-retired reading this, being retired is a lot like being self employed. You have no "time off".)

But I downloaded it and tried it.

I didn't find an equivalent to the "Track point select " tool. Basecamp lets me select track sections with a window, but that doesn't work very well when trying to select very precise lengths of track to use in creating a custom map. Did I just miss it?

The fact that you can edit the map with the track properties window open is a MAJOR improvement.

I also liked the fact that my custom maps appeared at high zoom levels. In Mapsource 6.13.6 which I use a lot and 6.16.7 which I use occasionally my maps only appear below the 50 mile zoom level.

I'm not a fan of .gpx files just because they are so big, but I could live with that. Maybe I need to get a new computer for more speed.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #27
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Well, being retired I don't have a lot of time to screw around with stuff. (For the non-retired reading this, being retired is a lot like being self employed. You have no "time off".)

But I downloaded it and tried it.

I didn't find an equivalent to the "Track point select " tool. Basecamp lets me select track sections with a window, but that doesn't work very well when trying to select very precise lengths of track to use in creating a custom map. Did I just miss it?

The fact that you can edit the map with the track properties window open is a MAJOR improvement.

I also liked the fact that my custom maps appeared at high zoom levels. In Mapsource 6.13.6 which I use a lot and 6.16.7 which I use occasionally my maps only appear below the 50 mile zoom level.

I'm not a fan of .gpx files just because they are so big, but I could live with that. Maybe I need to get a new computer for more speed.
BaseCamp v3.2.2 currently doesn't have a Track Point Select Tool. You can, as you indicated, select your track points from the Properties window and see them highlighted on the track.

I believe that this feature has been requested of BC-Win (it's in the Beta v3.3.0.3 :) )

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 08:18 PM
Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #28
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Track Point Select Tool

Quote:
BaseCamp v3.2.2 currently doesn't have a Track Point Select Tool. You can, as you indicated, select your track points from the Properties window and see them highlighted on the track.

I believe that this feature has been requested of BC-Win (it's in the Beta v3.3.0.3 :) )

Cheers,
I'm using the v3.3.0.3 Beta and can't find it.

I'm not saying it's not there, just saying I can't find it.

I'll put in a request.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I'm using the v3.3.0.3 Beta and can't find it.

I'm not saying it's not there, just saying I can't find it.

I'll put in a request.
I should have been clearer. You can use the Select Tool (Arrow) to band-box segments of the Track which will highlight the segments "box". This will also highlight the points in the Properties window. You can then "copy/past" them into another Properties window.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I should have been clearer. You can use the Select Tool (Arrow) to band-box segments of the Track which will highlight the segments "box". This will also highlight the points in the Properties window. You can then "copy/past" them into another Properties window.

Cheers,
I did find that. Not too useful to me.

I made a request on the Base Camp forum for Mapsource-like functionality.

Selecting in the properties box works, so that's how I'd go for the present.

My Ride Reports Here