Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #31
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I did find that. Not too useful to me.

I made a request on the Base Camp forum for Mapsource-like functionality.

Selecting in the properties box works, so that's how I'd go for the present.
Yep, saw your post and I understand it's not the same as MapSource and the Track Point Select Tool. Others have requested that BC (Win/Mac) provide the same Tools and Tool Methods used in MapSource. For some reason, still not clear to me, the BC Teams are working at opposite ends of the Earth when it comes to GIS Tools/Methods. I can understand some UI differences. . . but, Tools and Methods

Maybe by v3.4 or v3.5 BC users will actually be able to speak the same how-to "language" to one another. Sure would be helpful in promoting broad acceptance of BC.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #32
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,473
can BC import a kml or kmz file?
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #33
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
can BC import a kml or kmz file?
Not in the current release v3.2.2. I have been able to import KML/KMZ files with the beta BC-Win but not BC-Mac in the current beta so give it a try. It was announced that the released version v3.3.x will have KML/KMZ import.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 11:43 AM
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #34
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 778
the 3.3.0.2 beta link in the first post is no longer valid. The latest Win beta is now at 3.3.0.3 and linked below as of this writing.

http://developer.garmin.com/apps/BC/...3.0.3_Beta.exe
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #35
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
the 3.3.0.2 beta link in the first post is no longer valid. The latest Win beta is now at 3.3.0.3 and linked below as of this writing.

http://developer.garmin.com/apps/BC/...3.0.3_Beta.exe
Thanks for the bump Dave. I've updated the OP.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #36
dvwalker
Working to ride

light bulb moment...

finally starting to wean myself off the MS tit. I imported my historical rides containing tracks, routes, waypoints, lodging, etc into the new Win 3.3.x beta. After My Collection was populated from my MS GDB files, it became obvious how many times I've duplicated ride data such waypoints and tracks, some of which have slightly different names, lat/long positions and/or other properties.

With the new "Lists" within a "List Folder" feature, I can now create the "master" (or reference) data once then drag a reference to this (basically a pointer) into my planned ride. This will help standardize and centralize all my map data that I've invested countless hours. Will also make ride planning a bit easier since I can now just refer or point to this data. In other words, if I rename a waypoint or change attributes, then all references will also be updated. A nice feature in BC is the "Lists" tab within the properties box which gives you a quick where used reference.

So now that I'm just starting to figure out BC, it's about time for Garmin to create another mapping program.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #37
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

General Comment:

I participate in many Beta programs so I usually have low expectations for performance and whether all functions actually work.

There are some performance and feature issues with the current Beta releases so use accordingly. No, you don't have to worry about your data. BaseCamp does continue to auto-save your data and you should be in the habit of Backing up your data regularly.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #38
dvwalker
Working to ride

Good common sense comment regarding backup and beta products.

As a data safety measure, after my mass import into the Beta product I simply did a single Export of my Entire collection into a GDB file. Side note, I noticed it would be handy to import directly into a sub-folder, instead of having to import and move. If the Beta database crashes or becomes corrupt for any reason, I should be able to easily start over with a single or multi-data file import.

Q: the new library functionality delivers countless new ways to organize and standarize your data. Dan, wondering if you could share a screenshot and briefly explain the first couple levels of your library heirarchy? Also what data you're sharing across lists vs copying and not sharing? I believe this is the heart and soul of Basecamp and haven't read any best practices. I understand the Mac version has had this functionality for some time now.

My initial thought is to create standarized global lists for my waypoints/points of interests. This particular global list (My Collection-->Waypoints-->Category-->[camping, fuel, etc]) would include things like Camping, Fuel, Hot Springs, etc. Then share applicable waypoints across regional lists (My Collection-->Waypoints-->ByRegion-->[Oregon, Nevada, Canada, etc/]) so it's easy to filter by state or country. These global waypoints would then be shared across planned or completed rides.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #39
dvwalker
Working to ride

finsihed up my collection import; 10K waypoints, 1500 tracks, 200 routes. During the entire import process the app aborted 6 or 7 times. I sent the bug report to Garmin dev on each case. After restarting the app, the same gdb file would import with no problem. Noticed the longer the app is open the higher likely hood the program will crash.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #40
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Q: the new library functionality delivers countless new ways to organize and standarize your data. Dan, wondering if you could share a screenshot and briefly explain the first couple levels of your library heirarchy? Also what data you're sharing across lists vs copying and not sharing? I believe this is the heart and soul of Basecamp and haven't read any best practices. I understand the Mac version has had this functionality for some time now.
I would also like to see how a power user organizes the data. I've got lots of Mexico trips and various DS trips in the US currently organized in folders by date and trip.

I haven't started on this in Basecamp yet, but the track editing preparatory to making maps has convinced me to give it a try.

Do I understand correctly that I can store tracks, and waypoints in the library in such a way that I can search across files to find specific items without looking inside each file?

I understand that I can just crash in and try it, but if there is a better overview or a published example it would give me a better start than the somewhat sparse overview in the help file.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #41
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

There are a few "this is how I use it" write-ups around the internet but it really isn't that difficult to organize if you keep the basics in mind.
  1. BaseCamp is a database and you must "Import" your data that lives in files.
  2. MapSource is a document editor and saves your GPS data as a document (File).

Below are a screen shots of one of my organizations (I have two My Collections: one for GlobeRiders and one for my personal riding). It's really simple, I organize by Event (and therefore Date). So I can have the same data in multiple Events without duplicating any of my data.

The key to getting started is to organize your data (files) so that it is relevant to you. If, for example, you organize by Event, then you will have List Folders similar to mine and then you will have additional List Folders and/or List's inside those List Folders to further segregate your data if you desire.

At this point the two BaseCamps differ in some filtering capabilities but the database works the same.

Once you have some folders defined you can start Importing your files. When you do you will get a new List with the same name as the File you Imported. You can then drag/drop this List into one of your newly created List Folders.

As dvwalker noted in his post above, once you get your data Imported, you can view various collections of your data by selecting different Folder levels until you select My Collection - which will show you all of your data. By the way, that is exactly how I found duplicates after my first load of BaseCamp. You'll want to delete those duplicates over time so you have a clean database. That's not to say you will never Duplicate data but it's usually for reasons of significant change to data like Tracks and Routes. For waypoints, geocaches, Custom Maps and BirdsEye Imagery you may want to just make changes to the original - one exception might be Photo(s) linked to a Waypoint. Unless of course you use NAME as way to categorize your data. I do this when it comes to Hotels for example. The Name changed from year to year but the location data obviously stays the same. This also keeps me from having to figure out weird naming schemas given that fact that BaseCamp will not let you have two data items with the same Name.

From here is just a matter of using the "tools" BC offers to help you visualize your data. This is where the two BaseCamps are different as I mentioned.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #42
dvwalker
Working to ride

Thanks Dan, this helps validate while a number of us are still playing around with the tool. I was on the same path as you with events, which I called MyTrips. I also added another dimension called ByRegion so I can filter tracks to a specific map area.

For what's it's worth this is my first attempt at a hierarchy. work still in progress...

Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #43
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Anyone else having issues importing data in the Beta?

I had a few routes sent to me using Google Maps. I downloaded the KML file and used GPS Babel to convert the file to a GDB. I got one of the files to import (I made a track and route from the info) but I haven't been able to get it to work since.

The import dialog box comes up and the progress bar goes up to 100% but there's no info to be found in Basecamp.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #44
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

There are some issues that I know of in BaseCamp-beta KMZ/L import but you might give it a try. I have found that simple single tracks import OK as do single Waypoints. I have not been able to import KMZ/L files with multiple objects.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #45
dvwalker
Working to ride

has anyone found a way to move multiple lists to a folder at the same time?