Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #46
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
has anyone found a way to move multiple lists to a folder at the same time?
Multiple List select is not supported in either BaseCamp.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #47
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 778
thanks, this is good enhancement candidate for the beta team. Alternative from multi-list select would be to allow the selection of a target folder prior to import.

Relocating 376 Lists one at a time isn't a good time.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #48
rick3foxes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Basecamp Questions

I'm running BC 3.3.2 WIN with my Zumo 660, and struggling to teach my brain that this is NOT MapSource.
The tutorial helped me a lot.
http://garmin-mapsource.wikispaces.com/BaseCamp

Maybe you folks have some answers for the issues I haven't solved yet:

1. I create a new "TEST" list to explore some routes, and add waypoints, delete waypoints, add routes, delete routes, etc... Then finally I delete the entire "TEST list from the library.
When I look at "My Collection", all the waypoints and routes are still there and have to be deleted manually.

2. When adding waypoints with the mouse to redirect a route, they don't snap to a road, so I end up with little side trips off the road to reach the waypoints. Even when I zoom in to the highest level and move the waypoints back onto the road, I still see routing directions that tell me to go 2 FT here and 1 FT there, etc because I wasn't able to click on the EXACT center of the right lane, I suspect.

3. I have updated my Zumo to the latest maps (NT 2012.3), but I had been using NT 2010.1 maps with Mapsource. When I run BC, I get a dialog box informing me that City Navigator NT 2010.1 is locked and requires unlocking. I skip it and select the 2012 maps from the menu and all is well. Can I remove the 2010 map choice from wherever it is selected?

4. I see that I have a choice between 2012 and "2012 3D" maps. Are the 3D maps only for handheld GPS units and don't apply to me? (When I select them on the menu I don't see any difference on the screen.)

5. Same with "Birds Eye Imagery". Is that for non-Zumo units?

Thanks for your help.
Rick.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #49
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3foxes View Post
I'm running BC 3.3.2 WIN with my Zumo 660, and struggling to teach my brain that this is NOT MapSource.
The tutorial helped me a lot.
http://garmin-mapsource.wikispaces.com/BaseCamp

Maybe you folks have some answers for the issues I haven't solved yet:

1. I create a new "TEST" list to explore some routes, and add waypoints, delete waypoints, add routes, delete routes, etc... Then finally I delete the entire "TEST list from the library.
When I look at "My Collection", all the waypoints and routes are still there and have to be deleted manually.
Remember that BaseCamp is a database and "My Collection" is it's name. When you create data in a List, that data is really in "My Collection" and you are organizing it in a List. When you Delete data from a List that is all you did. You still have the data in "My Collection". You knew that but now you know why. Whey you want to "remove" data from the database, you need to right-click on the data and select "Delete from My Collection" rather than just press the Delete key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3foxes
2. When adding waypoints with the mouse to redirect a route, they don't snap to a road, so I end up with little side trips off the road to reach the waypoints. Even when I zoom in to the highest level and move the waypoints back onto the road, I still see routing directions that tell me to go 2 FT here and 1 FT there, etc because I wasn't able to click on the EXACT center of the right lane, I suspect.
BaseCamp does not have a "snap to road" feature as an option for placing Waypoints - that would be to easy. You can use Viapoints when using the Routing Tool. Not optimal but they will tend to locate your path on the "road".

Quote:
3. I have updated my Zumo to the latest maps (NT 2012.3), but I had been using NT 2010.1 maps with Mapsource. When I run BC, I get a dialog box informing me that City Navigator NT 2010.1 is locked and requires unlocking. I skip it and select the 2012 maps from the menu and all is well. Can I remove the 2010 map choice from wherever it is selected?
You either have both installed on your computer and/or BaseCamp is reading the new one from your zumo. If you don't need 2010.1 any longer you can Uninstall it by using the Windows Control Panel uninstall functions (just like you would for a program you wanted to remove.

Quote:
4. I see that I have a choice between 2012 and "2012 3D" maps. Are the 3D maps only for handheld GPS units and don't apply to me? (When I select them on the menu I don't see any difference on the screen.)
You see the "2012 3D" when you have your zumo connected. That is because BaseCamp is making factory installed maps available to you, in addition to the maps you have installed on your computer. That map is for you zumo only.

Quote:
5. Same with "Birds Eye Imagery". Is that for non-Zumo units?
Yes. BirdsEye Imagery is not available on the zumo units. Garmin's newer Handheld units are supported. Keep in mind that BaseCamp supports most of Garmin's GPS units so it has a few features that will not pertain to everyone.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #50
rick3foxes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Thanks, DRTBYK!!
I don't see an option to "Delete from my collection", but I found that if I delete the List, it will delete the data in it from the DB. I just have to remember to NOT delete waypoints and routes from a list individually. :-(

Ahh, the 2010 maps...
I didn't realize the map version was installed as an app!
(I had already uninstalled MapSource)

One other thing I noticed:
One of the features Garmin advertized about BaseCamp was "Improved Printing".
However, "Printing is Restricted" is the message I get.
To print, I first need to switch to the low-detail "Global Maps".

This may just be a bug, but Siler City, NC and Apex, NC are connected by a 4-lane divided highway.
Any attempt to route from Siler City to Apex refuses to use it, and routes way down to Sanford, NC and back up.

Appreciate the help!

Rick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Remember that BaseCamp is a database and "My Collection" is it's name. When you create data in a List, that data is really in "My Collection" and you are organizing it in a List. When you Delete data from a List that is all you did. You still have the data in "My Collection". You knew that but now you know why. Whey you want to "remove" data from the database, you need to right-click on the data and select "Delete from My Collection" rather than just press the Delete key.

BaseCamp does not have a "snap to road" feature as an option for placing Waypoints - that would be to easy. You can use Viapoints when using the Routing Tool. Not optimal but they will tend to locate your path on the "road".

You either have both installed on your computer and/or BaseCamp is reading the new one from your zumo. If you don't need 2010.1 any longer you can Uninstall it by using the Windows Control Panel uninstall functions (just like you would for a program you wanted to remove.

You see the "2012 3D" when you have your zumo connected. That is because BaseCamp is making factory installed maps available to you, in addition to the maps you have installed on your computer. That map is for you zumo only.

Yes. BirdsEye Imagery is not available on the zumo units. Garmin's newer Handheld units are supported. Keep in mind that BaseCamp supports most of Garmin's GPS units so it has a few features that will not pertain to everyone.

Cheers,

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost

rick3foxes screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 10:21 AM
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #51
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3foxes View Post
Thanks, DRTBYK!!
I don't see an option to "Delete from my collection", but I found that if I delete the List, it will delete the data in it from the DB. I just have to remember to NOT delete waypoints and routes from a list individually. :-(
Oops! Sorry, switching between Windows and Mac BaseCamps is hard on my old brain these days.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #52
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 543
I just ordered my Garmin Montana 600 today!!

Is Basecamp a requirement for the Montana or can I just keep using Mapsource for now?

I do want to learn BC and use it in the future but the thought of learning a new GPS and new software at the same time has me wanting to jump off a bridge...
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #53
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Silly qustion, what is or how does Beta work, just a little lost on the terminolog.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #54
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvan View Post
Silly qustion, what is or how does Beta work, just a little lost on the terminolog.

Thanks
Not sure just what you are asking?

Beta typically refers to code that is still "in-work" and not supported as "released".

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #55
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,971
The Garmin programmers working on BaseCamp (a team for each version of BaseCamp - Win and Mac) add fixes and features to the working version of BaseCamp and announce it as a Beta version (Beta is commonly used in software development to mean not ready for prime time yet). They continue to generate and announce Beta versions until someone decides that an announced version is to be an official 'Release'. The version numbering is supposed to help you distinguish Beta versions from Released versions.

Here's the gotcha. If you decide to install a Beta version, then you will be required to update to each Beta along the way to the next Release version. Beta BaseCamp checks each time it is started to see if a newer Beta version is available and let's you decide to upgrade or not. If you say upgrade, the next Beta is downloaded and takes the place of the old Beta. If you decide you don't want to upgrade, BC terminates. It won't let you run the outdated Beta.

At some point (as I said) a new official 'Release' is announced and if you upgrade to it, you're good to go. Official 'Releases' don't require you to upgrade, to Beta or newer announced Releases. You can stop on any Release (but sometimes at your peril; bugs, you know, are always to be found in software).

Here are some recent version numbers of BaseCamp - Mac:
3.3.0.1 beta
3.3.0.2 beta

I don't have complete records; I skate along somewhat slower than the experts. The versions without the 'beta' suffix are the 'Release' versions. Note the 4th version digit - that tells me it's a Beta. And Garmin fully announces these numbers and Beta identity.

One last note - the Mac and Win versions are not identical, at any common version number. The two teams of programmers probably strive to stay fairly even, but the two operating systems they are working on have different coding standards, conventions, and interfaces, so they get out of sync a bit.

This is all just MHO; others know far more and would explain it differently.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #56
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
The two teams of programmers probably strive to stay fairly even, but the two operating systems they are working on have different coding standards, conventions, and interfaces, so they get out of sync a bit.
Out of sync a bit? After using the two versions, I'm not sure the two teams are even on speaking terms.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #57
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the replies, that answers my question.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #58
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 561
How do I choose which drive to install the Basecamp? It goes to C: without asking. Couldn't find any help with Google.

Not so promising if I already have issues even before running the software...
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #59
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
How do I choose which drive to install the Basecamp? It goes to C: without asking. Couldn't find any help with Google.

Not so promising if I already have issues even before running the software...
BaseCamp does not offer you the option of where to install.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #60
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Question Is this thread still alive?

I have been using MapSource (some) and decided I should try BaseCamp (if it really is the future of Garmin development, as some have said). So I downloaded Version 3.3.3 from the Garmin site onto my Laptop (MapSource and my maps are on my Desktop - I wanted to keep them apart while I was experimenting and learning BaseCamp).

I had the impression from "something I read somewhere" that I would be able to use (download?) the maps on my Zumo 660 with BaseCamp. "Plug in your device while BaseCamp is running and follow the instructions." Well, other than my device (and maps) appearing under Devices, I have not been able to figure out how to get my map (CityNavigator NA) usable. If documentation exists as to how to do this, I'm not searching by the right terms or in the right places!

I do have an account on MyGarmin. Do (can) I have to download/install the maps again from there? Is or will there be a problem having them on my Laptop as well as my Desktop?

Thanks for any help folks can provide.
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote