Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #61
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
I have been using MapSource (some) and decided I should try BaseCamp (if it really is the future of Garmin development, as some have said). So I downloaded Version 3.3.3 from the Garmin site onto my Laptop (MapSource and my maps are on my Desktop - I wanted to keep them apart while I was experimenting and learning BaseCamp).

I had the impression from "something I read somewhere" that I would be able to use (download?) the maps on my Zumo 660 with BaseCamp. "Plug in your device while BaseCamp is running and follow the instructions." Well, other than my device (and maps) appearing under Devices, I have not been able to figure out how to get my map (CityNavigator NA) usable. If documentation exists as to how to do this, I'm not searching by the right terms or in the right places!

I do have an account on MyGarmin. Do (can) I have to download/install the maps again from there? Is or will there be a problem having them on my Laptop as well as my Desktop?

Thanks for any help folks can provide.
-ceej
As you noted, when you connect your zumo 660 to BaseCamp you will see the City Navigator map name under the zumo in your My Devices window. Just SELECT that map and it will show in BaseCamp where you can use it to do anything you would do with a map installed on your computer (except print the map).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #62
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
argghhh - that is what I thought I tried

Turns out that I have two maps indicated on my Zumo.
When I selected what I thought was the newer (2011.10) I got this:
and thus my frustration.
After reading your reply, I tried again, but this time selected the other map and got this:
which worked!

Can you make any suggestion as to why the first did not? Why I seem to have entries on my Zumo for both my original map and the one update that I have loaded? And why it is the older that seems to work and not the newer (unless I have the numbers screwed up).

Anyway ....
Now I can make it work with the Zumo attached.
Do you happen to know if I can also install the map on my laptop and be able to use BC w/o attaching the Zumo? I sent a query to Garmin support yesterday but do not expect an answer for several days.

Thanks again for your help. Now I can down to the real business of using BC and generating my next set of questions!
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
As you noted, when you connect your zumo 660 to BaseCamp you will see the City Navigator map name under the zumo in your My Devices window. Just SELECT that map and it will show in BaseCamp where you can use it to do anything you would do with a map installed on your computer (except print the map).

Cheers,
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #63
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

1200gsceej,

I'm not sure what you are calling "older" and "newer". You only have ONE map installed on your zumo 660: CNNA 2011.10. The other "map" line item you see is the 3D data that accompanies the CNNA map. Which, if you select it, will not show anything as it is not really a map.

If you have the CNNA DVD that should have come with your zumo 660 you can install it on your computer. If you didn't get a DVD with your zumo you out of luck because you are to far back level for Garmin to send you a DVD of 2011.10. If you don't want to update then just use the maps you have. If you do want to update - call Garmin Product Support and explain your situation. They may give you a break on price.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #64
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,547
Routing problem

For some reason all my new routes in BC are coming out in a straight line.

All my previous routes are OK, just my new ones are turning out this way.

I have a feeling it's a quick fix but I can't figure it out.

Help!

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #65
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
For some reason all my new routes in BC are coming out in a straight line.

All my previous routes are OK, just my new ones are turning out this way.

I have a feeling it's a quick fix but I can't figure it out.

Help!
Just a guess but check your ACTIVITY mode and make sure it's in Automotive and not Direct. Oh, and do you actually have a "routable" map selected?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #66
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Just a guess but check your ACTIVITY mode and make sure it's in Automotive and not Direct. Oh, and do you actually have a "routable" map selected?

Cheers,
Told ya it was something simple. That old "routable" map trick will do it every time. Thanks, Dan.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #67
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks again!

comments in line.
-ceej
Quote:
1200gsceej,
I'm not sure what you are calling "older" and "newer". (I originally got 2011; then the free update 2011.1) You only have ONE map installed on your zumo 660: CNNA 2011.10. The other "map" line item you see is the 3D data that accompanies the CNNA map. Which, if you select it, will not show anything as it is not really a map.
Duh! Well that is a good reason!

If you have the CNNA DVD that should have come with your zumo 660 you can install it on your computer. If you didn't get a DVD with your zumo you out of luck because you are to far back level for Garmin to send you a DVD of 2011.10. If you don't want to update then just use the maps you have. If you do want to update - call Garmin Product Support and explain your situation. They may give you a break on price.
I'm getting the lifetime update so that will take care of that.

Cheers,
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #68
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
comments in line.
-ceej
Just to check...you do understand that you must first purchase the current CNNA version before you can activate Lifetime Update maps?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #69
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

should get updates to map I already have

No .....
So you are saying that basically you buy a map with the lifetime upgrade option. Map price X; Lifetime upgrade option Y.
If you have an 'old' map (one for which there has been a new release? or one more than a year old?) then the Lifetime Upgrade at price Y "does nothing"?
Sigh .... I sure hope that you are wrong.

Here is what the Terms and Conditions say:
If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime gift card, you will receive up to four (4) map Data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map Data from NAVTEQ, whichever is shorter. The updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same map Data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased, .. [snip]. If your Garmin product does not include, or you do not purchase separately, the map Data you want to update using your nüMaps Lifetime subscription, then you must purchase the map Data separately before you can load the updated map Data onto your Garmin product.

Since my Zumo came with a map and that is what I am buying the Lifetime Update for, then it seems to me that I should be able to get it. We'll just have to see.
-ceej

Quote:
Just to check...you do understand that you must first purchase the current CNNA version before you can activate Lifetime Update maps?

Cheers,
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #70
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
No .....
So you are saying that basically you buy a map with the lifetime upgrade option. Map price X; Lifetime upgrade option Y.
If you have an 'old' map (one for which there has been a new release? or one more than a year old?) then the Lifetime Upgrade at price Y "does nothing"?
Sigh .... I sure hope that you are wrong.

Here is what the Terms and Conditions say:
If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime gift card, you will receive up to four (4) map Data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map Data from NAVTEQ, whichever is shorter. The updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same map Data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased, .. [snip]. If your Garmin product does not include, or you do not purchase separately, the map Data you want to update using your nüMaps Lifetime subscription, then you must purchase the map Data separately before you can load the updated map Data onto your Garmin product.

Since my Zumo came with a map and that is what I am buying the Lifetime Update for, then it seems to me that I should be able to get it. We'll just have to see.
-ceej
The key point is that the product you are purchasing is an Update. Garmin only supports Updating from the previous version to the current version. Maybe you'll be lucky and Garmin has changed their policy and update installation applications.

My expectation though is that Garmin Product Support will say something like; you should have connected your zumo to my.garmin.com and checked to see if your zumo was eligible for an Update. At which point you would have been told "No" because your map version is so far back level.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #71
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Waypoints and "Route End Points"

I created a list named 'NC Addresses' and created waypoints for all my cousins' houses (let's call them A, B, C, D, E). I changed the icon for each of these waypoints to a house. Then I created a list named 'NC Routes'. I highlighted that list, clicked New Route, dragged A into FROM and B into TO and it created a route. I do this for B to C, C to D, D to E. The routes are automatically named "A to B", etc. and appear once each, correctly named in My Collection.

However, due to what I had highlighted at the time I actually clicked on the New Route button , some of them got created in the NC Routes list and some only in My Collection. For the later I dragged them into NC Routes.

Now in the NC Routes list I have two things I did not expect. First, there seem to be entries for the waypoints that I used as the start/end points of the routes. Did they get copied there automatically when the route was created there or when I dragged it there? And, some of the route names are of the form "A to B1". Finally, when I look at some of the route details, I see A1 and B1 with flag icons as the beginning and ending points. But they do not appear in My Collection.

SO!
My question is - does anyone know what is going on here? Are 'route end points' are created as separate entities from the waypoints that were used to define the route? Does a list of routes automatically include the waypoints used to create them?

I hope this makes sense. It is not so much "wrong" or confusing me as it is that I like to understand what is going on (so that when I see something different I can know it might be a problem).
thanks,
-ceej
Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #72
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Question how can i get rid of these 'marine' icons?

At a certain scale and detail settings (High, I think), I see an over abundance of what appear to be marine icons:
Can someone identify them?
How can I cause them not to display?
thanks,
-ceej
Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #73
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

My Zumo 660 w/non-cucrrent CNNA map updated OK

I now have CN NA NT 2013.10
Please see http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18874785&postcount=9 for details.
-ceej

Quote:
The key point is that the product you are purchasing is an Update. Garmin only supports Updating from the previous version to the current version. Maybe you'll be lucky and Garmin has changed their policy and update installation applications.

My expectation though is that Garmin Product Support will say something like; you should have connected your zumo to my.garmin.com and checked to see if your zumo was eligible for an Update. At which point you would have been told "No" because your map version is so far back level.

Cheers,
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #74
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Moving items from BC to my Zumo

This is probably "Garmin GPS: Basic Internals", but I'd appreciate a review. If there is a better thread for this, then I'll move it or repost.
edit: I just found this, which has good information: http://garminzumo-660.wikispaces.com/FAQ#RTFM!-Description of files and folders:

-ceej

I believe that I understand the database concept in BaseCamp. So my question is about moving items to my Zumo 660.
When I look at my device in BC I see the following under it:
+ a grey folder labeled All Data
+ a regular folder labeled ZUMO_DATA (my SD card)
+ a map icon labeled CN NA NT 2013.1
+ a map icon labeled CN NA NT 2013.10 3D

Case 1:
Assume no SD card; just vanilla zumo memory.
In my Garmin/GPX folder I see a Current.gpx and a Temp.gpx
If I select a group of items in BC (waypoints and routes) and drag them to my device or the All Data folder, what happens?
a. What actually gets created and moved?
b. Are these items 'added' to what is already on my zumo?
c. Or do these items 'replace' *all* or *some* of what is already there?

Case 2:
There is an SD card.
If I drag the items to the SD card. What happens?
a. What files(s) get created and moved?
b. Are they 'added' to the SD card?
c. Do they 'modify' any files already on the SD card?
d. Do they 'replace' any files already on the SD card?
e. When I power on the zumo, what options do I have? If I dragged a waypoint from BC, will I get the option to have it added to my Favorites?

1200gsceej screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 10:16 PM
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #75
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Oh Lord.... Just when I was getting the hang of Mapsource.....comes Basecamp....
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote