Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
bhb645 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
TAT Map Question

I have a Garmin 60csx that I'll be taking on the TAT soon. I've mapped the eastern section in basecamp and I will be buying the tracks for the west from Sam.

My question is it absolutely necessary to bring along a netbook or a different computer in order to keep the gps loaded with the tracks?
I understand that the tracks cannot be loaded to the SD card and the 60csx can only hold 20 tracks.

I've located a netbook for cheap but I'd rather not buy it and carry it.

Thanks,
Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bhb645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhb645 View Post
I have a Garmin 60csx that I'll be taking on the TAT soon. I understand the 60csx can only hold 20 tracks.
A better investment may be to buy a 78 about $200 (62 does not have 12V power) rather than a computer. It holds 200 tracks.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:24 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
A better investment may be to buy a 78 about $200 (62 does not have 12V power) rather than a computer. It holds 200 tracks.
A better response would be one that answered the question

Quote:
I have a Garmin 60csx that I'll be taking on the TAT soon. I've mapped the eastern section in basecamp and I will be buying the tracks for the west from Sam.

My question is it absolutely necessary to bring along a netbook or a different computer in order to keep the gps loaded with the tracks?
I understand that the tracks cannot be loaded to the SD card and the 60csx can only hold 20 tracks.
I mapped out the TAT in Mapsource, filtered it down, and was comfortable with the level of detail. YMMV

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
bhb645 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I'm not sure about the 62, but the 60 can be powered by 12v via the 4 pin cable or a USB cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
I mapped out the TAT in Mapsource, filtered it down, and was comfortable with the level of detail. YMMV
I will have to look into that. When you buy the tracks from Sam, they come with a lot of different tracks per state so I'd have to mess with the tracks that he made.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
I did decide to buy and carry a notebook when I had my 60cx. I just had too many primary and secondary tracks to fit into the 20 track limit.

I also used tricks like making out-and-back segments in primary tracks where possible for some of the alternates.

Another way to effectively increase the number of tracks is to use direct routes. I think you can have up to 250 points in such a route. Thus they can be made to look pretty much like tracks. But you have to activate the route to use it.

I now have a Montana, so the track limit problem is gone. But I still carry a notebook. I always stay in motels and they normally have wifi. So I can keep in touch. And I sometimes use the notebook to plan new tracks if necessary.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
With this program-------you can load 35,251,357 tracks into your gps and it uses none of your track log memory.

Best $20 I ever spent.

Before asking questions about-----go to the website and read about it---would save me 4 hours of typing.

http://www.gpx2img.com/

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Obviously not "absolutely necessary" if you use filtered tracks. Take a look at my CDR track options on GPSXchange.com

You can see what 18 filtered (500 point) tracks (ready for 60) from Canada to Mexico look like then see what 20 unfiltered (2,000 point) tracks (ready for 78) look like.

It is all about how much resolution you think you need. Actually all you need is resolution at intersections. Between intersections you just follow the road and don't even look at GPS.

Just making an overlay map like Big Dog advises is also good solution with less $ but more work.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,572
Big Dog's suggestion is the way I go these days. There's a bit of a learning curve, but the end result is excellent.

Filtering 20 tracks down to 500 points each is a poor solution. It works, but will lead to missing turns and uncertainty more often than I would be comfortable with. In my opinion a better solution (besides GPX2IMG) for a 60csx is to use the ACTIVE LOG trick, which allows hundreds of tracks to be loaded into a 60csx, with more than 500 points each. It has a few limitations, but it supports plenty of super detailed tracks. Search this forum via Google for "Garmin ACTIVE LOG" for instructions on how to use that approach.

Coundown's suggestion of upgrading to a Garmin 78 is a pretty good option as well.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
bhb645 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the info everybody. Setting up my GPS for this trip has been a learning curve as I generally just load the tracks from someone else, and go riding.

The GPX2IMG looks great and i will definitely use that in the future. I couldn't find a Mac version of it. I ended up purchasing a $40 netbook off craigslist which will most likely be nice to have with me if I decide to do a ride report or if my GPS wipes everything out for some crazy reason.

An upgrade of the GPS would be nice although I see a lot of people using the 60CSX and liking them. A bit of a bummer on a longer trip but for the day trips that I generally do, it works great.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
I think my ratio of causes for missing turns is about 95% not paying attention and 5% inadequate track resolution.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Setting up my GPS for this trip has been a learning curve.

An upgrade of the GPS would be nice although I see a lot of people using the 60CSX and liking them.
You may want to check out my 60/76 setup tips on http://www.dualsportwest.com/Gps/GpsOverview

Yes the 60/76Cx was the standard for many years. The new 78 has one good feature; almost unlimited Saved Tracks but otherwise works about the same. Forget the 62 it doesn't have 12 V power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I think my ratio of causes for missing turns is about 95% not paying attention and 5% inadequate track resolution.
+1

I have found that in almost every case, a track of 500 points for 100 miles works fine. That means that a 60/76 can store 2,000 miles of acceptable tracks. But more resolution is always better.