User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
kaput13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
A lighter, cheaper Harley

According to a Reuters article (see Kneeslider blog) Harley is looking into building a lighter, cheaper entry level bike. Apparently there is not enough in it for them with the Sportsters. Well.... I would like to be among the first to suggest the perfect candidate for a historic remake of a once laughed at but now eminently collectable machine. Please no more Buell Blast but a modern version of this.

What do you think? Done right I would buy.
Attached Images

kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,702
Buy an Enfield, then.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,370
Cool bike. I would think they would sell pretty well in the $6000 - $7000 range.

I also think Harley is missing out on a slice of the market by not offering a dual sport/adventure bike. I'm not talking about another Buell, but maybe an HD badged mid-sized off-road Sportster.

I honestly think a big part of Harley's sales are from brand loyalty. The Buell just couldn't satisfy that. Whatever new markets they enter, the bikes need to have that HD badge.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
kaput13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Buy an Enfield, then.

Yes, the Bullet is a world wide sales success. Bullet owners will be standing in line, forking over their deposit to trade down. or is that up?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Buy an Enfield, then.
You knw, the only Enfield sales dealer in the entire state of Arizona is about 20 minutes away from me, and it's 2 hours from Phoenix and 4 hours from Tucson. I wonder if they have any new FI models on the floor.

They used to have a dealer in Phoenix, but evidently being a Moto Guzzi, Enfield, Benelli and Aprilia dealer isn't a sustainable business model. Who knew?

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
'Done right' is the biggest sticking point. What constitutes 'done right' for Harley? Probably not the single posted above...

Ground up redesign for the sportster. Keep the classic styling, keep the air cooled v-twin, but make it 100-150 pounds lighter. Give it some performance swagger to go with the awesome looks. Guzzi seems to have it figured out with the V7 classic, take some cues from them. Maybe its time for a unit construction motor thats more compact with the same displacement options? Add direct injection? Add balance shafts ? Go back to a chain or a more direct belt drive setup thats more efficient weight wise?

skierd screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 12:17 PM
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
'Done right' is the biggest sticking point. What constitutes 'done right' for Harley? Probably not the single posted above...

Ground up redesign for the sportster. Keep the classic styling, keep the air cooled v-twin, but make it 100-150 pounds lighter. Give it some performance swagger to go with the awesome looks. Guzzi seems to have it figured out with the V7 classic, take some cues from them. Maybe its time for a unit construction motor thats more compact with the same displacement options? Add direct injection? Add balance shafts ? Go back to a chain or a more direct belt drive setup thats more efficient weight wise?
V7 has performance swagger?

Ummmm, no.

Good looking, yes.

How could a Sportster's belt drive be any more compact? IT'S ALREADY A UNIT CONSTRUCTION MOTOR.

derek

Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

The V7 has the weight and looks part, not the performance lol.

And I don't know how you cut the weight on the sporty motor damnit, I'm not an engineer, but my gut feeling from looking at the thing its a massive hunk of metal that can probably be made smaller, simpler, lighter, and more efficient.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,110
The older sportsters were a lot lighter, and it was in the frame they saved weight.
I had an 86 883 in 86 and even with the 4 speed trans it was fun.
Light and nimble feeling to me.

Nothing like the new ones.
The rubber mounted motor system adds a lot of weight to the frame, since it gets no support from the engine which can flop around.

My dream Harley would be a pumper carbed 883 with rigid mounted motor, 5 speed trans, belt drive or O ring chain, room for 2 adults on a real seat, plenty of real suspension, mid pegs in the right place, lower handlebars, weight around 425 pounds.
Forget about selling the bike to dwarfs and midgets, make it fit a 6 foot person.

Nothing at all like the modern ones....

But I suppose you could get a 1986 and do it up....for cheap....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:

And I don't know how you cut the weight on the sporty motor damnit, I'm not an engineer, but my gut feeling from looking at the thing its a massive hunk of metal that can probably be made smaller, simpler, lighter, and more efficient.
The version in the XB is as cut down as it gets...

derek

Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The older sportsters were a lot lighter, and it was in the frame they saved weight.
I had an 86 883 in 86 and even with the 4 speed trans it was fun.
Light and nimble feeling to me.

Nothing like the new ones.
The rubber mounted motor system adds a lot of weight to the frame, since it gets no support from the engine which can flop around.

My dream Harley would be a pumper carbed 883 with rigid mounted motor, 5 speed trans, belt drive or O ring chain, room for 2 adults on a real seat, plenty of real suspension, mid pegs in the right place, lower handlebars, weight around 425 pounds.
Forget about selling the bike to dwarfs and midgets, make it fit a 6 foot person.

Nothing at all like the modern ones....

But I suppose you could get a 1986 and do it up....for cheap....
Step 1 would be going to an alloy frame and ditching the metal fenders and maybe even gas tank.

derek

Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
kaput13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

A sleeved down, lighter sportster would be nice especially if it was faster and more nimble but it would probably be perceived as just an entry level copy of the more real thing. A supercharged (as an option) single would generate a lot of buzz and might exite someone who wants a Harley but doesn't want to be perceived as a bottom feeder. With Harley buyers image is almost everything.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
If the 750 makes it into production and can come in under 7 grand, it'll sell like hotcakes.
Attached Images

'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
If the 750 makes it into production and can come in under 7 grand, it'll sell like hotcakes.

This looks like something I would not mind buying at all. I just hope it has more guts than my ex500!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

See? They did it once already now apparently!

(Moto Guzzi Breva 750)