Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #31
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I was disappointed when the 883 came out, at least with the hp/torque. I had thought with a newer design, they'd get a nice bump up from the older 1000. I ended up with a '91 1200, which had more then enough power for me. I think if they'd redesign the powerplant in the 883, Maybe adding 10-15 more hp and torque, and cut the 50 lbs of weight it gained when they rubber mounted the motor, they have an interesting bike. Keep the looks, (and the belt drive) and price it competitve with the Bonneville, and it'd be a awfully nice bike. Right now, I'll take the Bonnie.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #32
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,206
They should talk to Buell. Should be tons of those single cylinder Blast engines laying around.

Maybe given free reign, Buell could actually make something decent from them. Probably not.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #33
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Trail-entry level bike by Harley......they would sell like hot cakes.

AMF had a great idea just went about it the wrong way. I owned two of these back in the 80s. If built now with quality parts, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #34
kdstang
Child of the Corn

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
I was disappointed when the 883 came out, at least with the hp/torque. I had thought with a newer design, they'd get a nice bump up from the older 1000. I ended up with a '91 1200, which had more then enough power for me. I think if they'd redesign the powerplant in the 883, Maybe adding 10-15 more hp and torque, and cut the 50 lbs of weight it gained when they rubber mounted the motor, they have an interesting bike. Keep the looks, (and the belt drive) and price it competitve with the Bonneville, and it'd be a awfully nice bike. Right now, I'll take the Bonnie.
Why redesign the 883? It serves a niche (that being the perceived ease of use for a beginner). It has different heads and cylinders, both easily swapped out in an afternoon, but lower gearing in the trans. Besides, how else would Harley get away with charging the customer more for less? By less I mean less metal in the cylinders and heads?

And as for the monster 1100 vs XR1200 hp comparisons, well, the sporty engine was making 100 hp back in '98, so welcome to the party. But I'm sure an 1100 monster will smoke most air cooled Buells.
kdstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #35
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput13 View Post
According to a Reuters article (see Kneeslider blog) Harley is looking into building a lighter, cheaper entry level bike. Apparently there is not enough in it for them with the Sportsters. Well.... I would like to be among the first to suggest the perfect candidate for a historic remake of a once laughed at but now eminently collectable machine. Please no more Buell Blast but a modern version of this.

What do you think? Done right I would buy.
The idea of Harley prototype to bringing back smaller bike for entrie level riders was pictured in of the Harley oriented magizines a coulpe of months back.
It looked like a Husaburg 70* 450 engine in a street type chassis.
Only wish I could find the drawing now to show.
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #36
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
My first bike was a 73 Harley Sprint 350. It was a fun little thumper. I could definitely see them creating a new Sprint using the Buell Blast as a starting point and giving it fuel injection and generally updating it. It would be a great entry level bike and would probably sell a lot better with the HD name on it.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #37
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by never2old4fun View Post
The idea of Harley prototype to bringing back smaller bike for entrie level riders was pictured in of the Harley oriented magizines a coulpe of months back.
It looked like a Husaburg 70* 450 engine in a street type chassis.
Only wish I could find the drawing now to show.
I wish you could find it too. It sounds fun.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #38
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
That "750" looks nice, but isn't that just a V-Rod engine?
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #39
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Trail-entry level bike by Harley......they would sell like hot cakes.

Hotcakes?

Who would buy it?

How about a Harley sport bike? Or a Harley adventure bike? HD tried it with Buell (and Buell did it well), what happened with that venture? How well is the V-rod selling? Or the sweet XR1200?

That 750 looks promising for sure. I don't understand why so many think that the bike needs to make 90 HP or is otherwise worthless. A 650 V-strom makes about 62 HP and can get up to triple digits in no time. Unless you are racing it, why would 60-70 HP not be enough? Besides, those HD Twins make some amazing torque and for urban/surburban riding, it's all about the low end.

Harley needs to figure out how to get non-Harley riders on these non-traditional style Harleys. Oh, and maybe having dealers/salesmen and mechanics not bad mouthing them because they are not chrome-festooned, leather wrapped cruisers.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #40
jwd98056
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Maybe they will just bring the Sprint back.
IBA #32756 - BMWMOA #122647
'05 BMW R1200GS - Desert Yellow (Brutus)
'12 HD Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglow (JD'sRoad)
'02 HD Heritage Softail - Custom Paint (JDsHog)
jwd98056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #41
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,616
Quote:
Originally posted by Grainbelt
I think it refers to the press release mentioned earlier about people born after 1970 purchasing Harleys.
Damn, I hate when I fit a stereotype; I was born in '72. It certainly isn't that I have anything against buying a Harley. I love American made stuff. I'm just not much into cruisers. I have to admit, I am addicted to horsepower and handling. Do I need it? No, but I don't need a motorcycle either. Still, I would love to see Harley get into different styles of motorcycles such as dirt or sport.

That three wheeled bike is bad ass, by the way. Much more trick than any of the Can Am units.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #42
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Harley needs to figure out how to get non-Harley riders on these non-traditional style Harleys. Oh, and maybe having dealers/salesmen and mechanics not bad mouthing them because they are not chrome-festooned, leather wrapped cruisers. [/SIZE]
Absolutely. This was the problem I ran into every time I wandered over to the Buell side of a dealership.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #43
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
That 750 looks promising for sure. I don't understand why so many think that the bike needs to make 90 HP or is otherwise worthless.

Assuming it ends up in a premium price bracket, it will be competing against Ducati, Aprilia, and KTM, and Triumph. Those are 700-1200 cc twins and triples that make some pretty impressive power - even the middling, air-cooled Monster 796 puts out 84 hp at the crank. The old XB9 motor put out 84 as well.

How would they market a premium sporting machine with inadequate power?

They could go low-power classic/standard and compete with the Bonnie and V7, but what would be the point? That's the 883R that never sold.

Quote:
Harley needs to figure out how to get non-Harley riders on these non-traditional style Harleys. Oh, and maybe having dealers/salesmen and mechanics not bad mouthing them because they are not chrome-festooned, leather wrapped cruisers.
There are some very clean, very nice cafe'd sporsters around, and the current crop of hipsters are very much into that. The old black leather jacket with an orange stripe and a black helmet has never really gone out of style. Had they styled the XR12X as a cafe bike rather than a street tracker, they might have sold a few more.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #44
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 436
i will believe it when I see harley remake itself into anything other than a company that sells image. there is nothing wrong with the image or making money off of it. my dad LOVES his white walled road king because it reminds him of his first two motorcycles from the late 40's to early 50's. I am happy that harley sells it, it makes my dad happy. I am happy that people get to live a dream of being a biker when they get their harley's.

The problem will come if people lose the biker dream. My dream is way more about travel and going fast, although I really do neither: I am an image whore too I guess. I just wonder if the harley mystique has enough room in it for anything other than a biker image whore.

When they do it, I will believe it. until then, I will occasionally want to want an xr1200.

ganze screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 08:13 AM
ganze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #45
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
The following is a direct quote from a thread in a Harley forum regarding the Victory Cross Country Tour....

"I think the biggest reason I didn't buy one is because I wanted to be part of the Harley-Davidson story, part of American history, be assocated with an icon in the motorcycle world, a family of people who are all over the nation, a dealer network that is plentiful."

That quote was written with absolute honesty and sincerity, and you'd better believe that the gentleman who wrote it is not unique in the Harley world. Name me one other motorcycle manufacturer that garners that sort of feeling. You can agree with it or not, but from a marketing standpoint, it's f-n brilliant. Harley may be selling image, but damn if it doesn't work.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote