Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #46
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,760
That man is clearly a rugged individual, of the sort of free spirit that HD covets.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #47
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
Well I think it's my fault this thread went off track to the usual horsepower/speed/brand loyalty arguements.

So here is my attempt to get back to the original question. Would this bike sell? I think it might. No it wouldn't be a competitor to sport bikes, dirt bikes, or adventure bikes. It would be a retro styled bike, plain and simple. The Ural did fairly well under that business model, so I don't see why HD couldn't tap that desire to get back to the good ol' days. Good ol' days performance, though, needs to come with a good ol' days price tag. This could be a second bike for those who want something unusual for the Saturday morning meet down at the Harley shop.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #48
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
No. It' won't sell.
HD is looking to boost its bottom line, not sell a few of something offbeat to a minor sliver of the buyer market.

You boost the bottom line by building a better mousetrap and selling the crap out of them.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #49
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
A water cooled Sportster with longer travel suspension and a frame designed in 2012 would be a great place to start.

Younger buyers want hotness, just like you did when you were a young man.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #50
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
I had a few HDs in the past, liked them all. But now have a K1200R BMW which I love... BUT if HD came out with that 750 (based on the v-rod?) I'd be in the showroom in a second.

And, IMHO, love the Sportsters though I may, it's an over-with bike. HD let it languish. I don't care how many hipsters think riding a Sporster with clip-ons is cool -- THEY aren't cool. Would NOT SELL. It's like that terrible show on Velocity channel "Cafe Racer" -- painful to watch a bunch of old fools trying to play night-of-the-living-dead boy racer. HD needs something new.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #51
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Yes, they do need to make a Dirtster with high fenders and more than 3" of suspension travel.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #52
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 916
Harley desperately needs a water-cooled tourer. A credible sport-tourer would be nice too. The aforementioned 750 would do well. A modern interpretation of the XLCR wouldn't be high-volume, but would move.

It's completely possible for Harley to sell both a "Heritage" line of bikes and a "Modern" line. The dealers simply can't (or won't) give anything other than the Heritage bikes a fair shake. They were clueless with Buell, they're clueless with the V-Rods, and they're clueless with the XR. It's a damn shame.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #53
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
The aforementioned 750 would do well. A modern interpretation of the XLCR.
Fucking brilliant! Dead right -- it's their NEW, OLD bike. HD should fucking hire you to run that campaign. You know, in that famous quote from T. E. Lawrence about ass-raping the English county-side with his Brough Superior, there is this line which HD seems -- magically -- about to connect with:

"The bad ground was passed and on the new road our flight became birdlike." Come on Harley! Remember when you were the bad-asses of all time? When you used to win all the races? Before you became Baracaloungers for the hemorrhoid set?
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #54
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
I had a few HDs in the past, liked them all. But now have a K1200R BMW which I love... BUT if HD came out with that 750 (based on the v-rod?) I'd be in the showroom in a second.

And, IMHO, love the Sportsters though I may, it's an over-with bike. HD let it languish. I don't care how many hipsters think riding a Sporster with clip-ons is cool -- THEY aren't cool. Would NOT SELL. It's like that terrible show on Velocity channel "Cafe Racer" -- painful to watch a bunch of old fools trying to play night-of-the-living-dead boy racer. HD needs something new.

So you also dislike the Bonneville, Royal Enfield , Suzuki TU250 , Ural, or any bike that has a classic design ? That makes me sad..
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #55
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post

And, IMHO, love the Sportsters though I may, it's an over-with bike. HD let it languish. I don't care how many hipsters think riding a Sporster with clip-ons is cool -- THEY aren't cool. Would NOT SELL.
Lots of hipsters but, and they can afford a new Harley.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #56
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
A water cooled Sportster with longer travel suspension and a frame designed in 2012 would be a great place to start.

Younger buyers want hotness, just like you did when you were a young man.
We do not need a 600-lbs Sportster!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #57
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

Not a bad start.
Looks like a mini V-Rod to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

That bike would sell if it weighs 400-450 lbs and has 60-75 bhp. If it's liquid-cooled, that shouldn't be a problem.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347

rocker59 screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 06:40 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #58
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Many comments about Sportsters in this thread.

I was real disappointed when HD upped the Sporty's weight to 550-lbs + with the rubber mounted frame.

The direction I'd have preferred to see would've been to add counter-balancers to the Sportster's engine, and make the frame and other cycle parts as light as possible. A 450-lbs Sportser would rock...

I'll keep dreaming...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #59
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Many comments about Sportsters in this thread.

I was real disappointed when HD upped the Sporty's weight to 550-lbs + with the rubber mounted frame.

The direction I'd have preferred to see would've been to add counter-balancers to the Sportster's engine, and make the frame and other cycle parts as light as possible. A 450-lbs Sportser would rock...

I'll keep dreaming...
Thats kinda what I was recommending way back on pg1. I keep looking at the sportster and can't help but wonder where the extra 50-100 pounds are hiding. I loved the test ride of a nightster I took, once I fixed it ergonomically for me it would be a great bike, but mentally I don't want a bike that heavy.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #60
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Thats kinda what I was recommending way back on pg1. I keep looking at the sportster and can't help but wonder where the extra 50-100 pounds are hiding. I loved the test ride of a nightster I took, once I fixed it ergonomically for me it would be a great bike, but mentally I don't want a bike that heavy.
The frame is a massive chunk of steel which is required because the motor is elastomer mounted and not used as part of the frame. Most modern bikes use the motor cases as part of the frame. The H-D, with its unbalanced narrow angle V configuration, doesn't lend itself to using the motor as a stressed frame member due to the vibration.

XR1200 Frame (same as all the current Sportster line of bikes)

I don't have any experience on the pre-rubber mount Sportsters, but I did demo an XR1200 a couple of years ago and was somewhat impressed with the ride. The bike felt solid and was fun to rip around on. I wasn't too impressed with the motor, seemed to run out of breath at above 5500rpm. Lots of other features of the XR had me looking elsewhere, tiny tank, cramped ergos, dealer indifference, etc.

Ultimately, until H-D (the motor company) can produce a motor that doesn't require it to be mounted using elastomer isolators, we are probably stuck with what they're currently selling.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote