ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
I'm interested if I can ride my Super Tenere. I live in Southeast Missouri (Cape Girardeau) and if this would be the starting and ending point I can offer a place to camp. House and property has five acres. Not set up for camping but three acres flat and shady and mowed. So easy access for bikes. House can sleep a few but if this draws a crowd, I'm out of space.

Gravel roads are no problem but 400 miles/day on just gravel will be difficult. I could help layout a route from Cape to St. Louis on blacktops and/or some gravel. If another rider from the Hannibal area could take it from St. Louis to NE corner and then on to the North Central and then so on around the state. With each rider adding their part.

I could also help with the return from West Plains back to Cape.
Great lfs,
Appreciate any help you can give, especially a place to camp. Any chance we can get a bond fire going that night?
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #17
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra View Post
A number of years ago the St. Louis Post Dispatch had an article about old monuments that were built at each of the 4 corners of Missouri. At least one of them on old US 61 is still standing:

I do not know if the other 3 still exist. US 71 has been rerouted a couple of times since the 1920's. This will require research and exploration. We are just the right people for the job.
That's good info, Ray. I'll start doing some research on it too.
Any chance you got your name from a Cagiva? I happen to have a mid 80s Alazzurra. "Blue Wing" if I remember my Italian well enough.
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 12-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Monument

Here is a monument at KS< OK and MO that we might want to see:
http://www.kansasphototour.com/secorner.htm
Mag
Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #19
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Sheridan

Looks like another monument we would be going by:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_War
Mag
Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #20
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Mo-ar-ok

Here's the Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma marker:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2PNB
Mag
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #21
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto View Post
Any chance you got your name from a Cagiva? I happen to have a mid 80s Alazzurra. "Blue Wing" if I remember my Italian well enough.
Mag
Yes. I have a 1986 Cagiva Alazzurra SS. I need to put it back together. I had my ignition pickups repaired by Gowanloch's and I just got them back. The Alazzzurra should be a good bike for this sort of ride.
RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #22
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,039
As pointed out earlier there are two markers in SW MO.

Here is the KS, MO, OK marker. At one time the highway went right by. Now it is much harder to find. It is on a dead end gravel road.

There is also the MO, AR, OK Marker that is easy to find southwest of Southwest City, MO.

In the NE there is a great monument to visit although it is on gravel roads, out in the middle of nowhere:

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Splitlog City?

Another thing that I would like to find is the ruins of Splitlog City near the southwest corner of Missouri. I don't know if there is much left, but at one time there was a railroad line, station, Occidental Hotel, church, etc. This all came about through the work of Mathias Splitlog the so called millionare Indian. Perhaps one of the inmates might know if there is anything still there?

This ride could take a couple of weeks instead of 4 days....
Old 12-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #24
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Great lfs,
Appreciate any help you can give, especially a place to camp. Any chance we can get a bond fire going that night?
Mag
YES! A great place for a bond fire. A little away from the trees though, naturally. I could probably come up with enough chairs for everyone and we have plenty of wood for a big fire. The camping is primitive. No facilities other than there is city water down where the bond fire would be. Safety reasons. But the house has facilities, needless to say, And a great shop to repair anything that may be broken.
AMA #033031A Charter Life Member
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #25
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Quote:
Yes. I have a 1986 Cagiva Alazzurra SS. I need to put it back together. I had my ignition pickups repaired by Gowanloch's and I just got them back. The Alazzzurra should be a good bike for this sort of ride.
Ray, I believe mine is an '86 also, but it's not the SS model. Yours has a full fairing, right? Mine is the half faired model. I haven't even started it in 3 or 4 years, but it sure is a fun bike to ride. I love that Ducati engine, except a valve adjustment time.
Mag
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #26
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Quote:
Another thing that I would like to find is the ruins of Splitlog City near the southwest corner of Missouri. I don't know if there is much left, but at one time there was a railroad line, station, Occidental Hotel, church, etc. This all came about through the work of Mathias Splitlog the so called millionare Indian. Perhaps one of the inmates might know if there is anything still there?

Looks like it's coming together. We might be able to make the ride in 4 days and just wander off after we get to the corner destinations to look for places just like this. Some guys will want to roll very early and will get to the destination while it's still daylight. That might give time for an extracurricular ride to find cool things, like Splitlog City. I'm in.
Mag
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #27
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,039
Quote:

There is not much left of Splitlog except an old gas station, now a welding shop and a couple of churches and some fascinating history. As noted Mathias Splitlog founded the town on a "gold vain" and there was a small gold rush to Splitlog. The only problem, the vain was "salted".

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #28
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:

The Splitlog City 400... 4 days of Ridin' and Findin' Obscure Points in Missouri.

Sounds like a great way to celebrate our state's more unusual history.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #29
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Stoner Drug

Quote:
Ray, I believe mine is an '86 also, but it's not the SS model. Yours has a full fairing, right? Mine is the half faired model. I haven't even started it in 3 or 4 years, but it sure is a fun bike to ride. I love that Ducati engine, except a valve adjustment time.
Mag
Mine does have the lowers and the black engine. I have not had to change a shim yet. I bought a rocker extractor tool or at least I think I did. I can't find it now so I'll have to buy another and perhaps upgrade to Monster 750 style sliding rockers.

Another possible stop would be the soda fountain at Stoner Drug in Hamburg, IA. Best chocolate milkshake ever. There is also a little motel in Hamburg that looks decent and an old movie theater that is still open. I've never stayed in Hamburg so I can't evaluate the motel.

If there is a northwest corner monument I have never found it.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #30
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
Northeast Corner of Missouri

I was just looking at the four corners of Missouri and realized there is no true NE Corner. There is point just below Keokuk, Iowa where highway 61 exits the state that might be called the NE corner but then you can go north of there along the Raccoon River to another spot further north but less east. Nit picking or a problem? Or visit both. Oh what to do, what to do.
AMA #033031A Charter Life Member
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote