ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #46
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
I only have the Google Earth Start of the South end
40 22 43.75 N
92 51 11.41 W
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #47
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno_rocket View Post
The Splitlog City 400... 4 days of Ridin' and Findin' Obscure Points in Missouri.

Sounds like a great way to celebrate our state's more unusual history.
Splitlog City 400! Not a bad name. Should we take a vote?
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #48
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

400, 4 Corners, Splitlog

OK, so far it looks like day 1 is probably going to be covered. lfs225 has the starting point and with all the suggestions from ajayhawkfan, RayAlazzurra and sieg, I think we can make it to Hannibal. lfs, will take the lead on getting us a route or two worked up for day 1?
Day 2; getting across the northern part of Missouri, saw a few suggestions from pilot and eemsreno. Anybody want to take the lead on developing a route or two that gets us from Hannibal to the NE corner of the state?
Day 3; back south. I'm hoping someone over there has some ideas about getting around KC and possibly getting down to Splitlog City. We nead a lead for that day. Any takers? ajayhawkfan, you seem to know that territory. Any chance you can work up a route or two for us?
Day 4; I don't know how many guys will want to head back to the bootheel at that point, but it is an option. We need someone down by westplains to figure out what there is to see near the Arkansas border (or across it), maybe a ferry or two to get us back over to lfs' place.
Thanks for all the work guys, this is really coming together.
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #49
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
Questions and observations

I'm ready to begin my part. Sieg I need your help. And anyone else who wants to pitch in.

But a few questions/observations first.

1. Cape Girardeau is not in the southeast corner. Close but no cigar. However that is no problem as I see it. All of you will be coming here for the kickoff. And you can choose when you visit your choice of the southeast corner. Before the kickoff or after. The most iconic corner is the arch over the highway south of Holland, MO. on highway 61. That would make a great photo op. However a true southeast corner would be south of Cooter, MO next to the Mississippi river. So I will route both?

Some of you may not know but southeast Missouri (the boot-heel part) is a table top. Flat. Roads are straight. No curves, few trees. Farm land. It was once a swamp. Drained around 1900-1910 by a private effort called the Little River Drainage project. A great story. Ditches were dug and five of them come together and run parallel just outside of Kennet, MO. There you can cross five bridges in a row. Nothing spectacular but it's not often you cross five bridges in less than a mile. So I will route you there.

2. I am assuming with so much ground to cover we do not want to visit many (if any) sights. However I will point some of them out along the route.

My advice is best from West Plains eastward to Cape, the southeast corner and north to St. Louis. So I will need someone else to help north of St. Louis.

3. I am assuming, as Sieg has mentioned, we do not necessarily have to stay in Missouri along the way. Just get to the four corners and ride the prettiest roads. On this east side of Missouri that may take us into Illinois.

4. Do we want GPS routes. GPS tracks. Maps. Or just a series of road numbers and directions? For those of you that are GPS challenged I will say this: transferring routes or tracks from one GPS to another is a "iffy" adventure. Usually fraught with error.

5. I am assuming we are not planning to ride this en masse. I suggest we break up in small groups (like the Swinging Bridges) and just have camp grounds and/or hotels close to the four corners for meeting spots. Is that agreeable?
AMA #033031A Charter Life Member
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #50
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

4 corners

I agree with all. We are in your hands for the first day. I would like to try to hit all the neighboring states, even if just for a few minutes, but more importantly, I want to see what that corner of the state has to offer. I love the idea of the 5 bridges and anything else you think is cool.
Completely agree about the small groups. Probably something like 5 at a time is manageable. I'm sure we'll have some groups bunch up a little, but probably won't be much of a concern.
Hopefully we'll have some more input about the rest of the state from guys who know those areas well.
Mag
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #51
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Tee-shirts

Is anyone interested in a tee-shirt for this ride? I love the stickers from Swinging Bridges, but I have no idea how to get something like that set up. A tee-shirt order is easy. Patches wouldn't be difficult. If someone has an idea, fire away.
Mag
Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #52
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
I can two, maybe three days of this ride. Anxious to use my new tent my wife gave me for Christmas. I can use both tracks and routes, but prefer tracks. I use easygps, a free download, to convert any track or route format into one I can download into my Delorme PN60. You will need to buy expertgps if you have an old gps like my garmin rino 120. It will only take 250 track points per track, so with expertgps you can edit your tracks to that. On the upside you can put 20 tracks into the garmin rino 120. More advanced rinos will take larger track files. Once the income tax gets here, I can start to farkle my Tiger. Anybody want the stock Tiger bags?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #53
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I can two, maybe three days of this ride. Anxious to use my new tent my wife gave me for Christmas. I can use both tracks and routes, but prefer tracks. I use easygps, a free download, to convert any track or route format into one I can download into my Delorme PN60. You will need to buy expertgps if you have an old gps like my garmin rino 120. It will only take 250 track points per track, so with expertgps you can edit your tracks to that. On the upside you can put 20 tracks into the garmin rino 120. More advanced rinos will take larger track files. Once the income tax gets here, I can start to farkle my Tiger. Anybody want the stock Tiger bags?
Hey Unc, is the wife going to ride this one?
Mag
Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #54
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Probably not. Going to work on her distance a little at a time this spring. She is planning on riding Swinging Bridges on the XR. The Uly is now officially been traded in. I got her a Honda NT700 Deaville at Skyline Honda yesterday. She got me the Tenere tent. Going to set it up this afternoon.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #55
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

name

Any thoughts on a name? One suggestion was Splitlog 400. I kind of like that one. Missouri 4 Corners? What else do you have?
Mag
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #56
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,298
"The Mark Twain Show-Me Circumnavigation Ride"
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #57
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Probably not. Going to work on her distance a little at a time this spring. She is planning on riding Swinging Bridges on the XR. The Uly is now officially been traded in. I got her a Honda NT700 Deaville at Skyline Honda yesterday. She got me the Tenere tent. Going to set it up this afternoon.
That NT700 is a great bike. If should be perfect for her. So, is the Uly at Skyline?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #58
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto View Post
That NT700 is a great bike. If should be perfect for her. So, is the Uly at Skyline?
Yep
Old 12-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #59
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
More Thoughts on the Ride

A couple of thoughts on this ride.... reaching all four corners of the state in a weekend, or four days is going to make for some long days in the saddle, whether on paved roads or dirt and gravel back roads.

As a point of reference, someone, not sure who, posted about doing an IronButt within the boundaries of the state - and I was stunned you could do that, but sure enough - Sikeston to Hannibel to St. Joe to Joplin and back in 24 hours makes for 1000+ miles. So the four corners is going to be more riding than that.

So another idea is to figure the highlights of any route and stake out a couple of week window for riding with everyone posting photos and ride reports, including visits to the highlights notes as well as discoveries of other areas. Some of us on the eastern side of the state can make a dash to the northern and southern corners over the course of a long weekend and then target the further reaches for a multiday ride. Same holds true for those on the western side of the state.

Just another suggestion. Take it or leave it. But thanks to all for contributing.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #60
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
1. Cape Girardeau is not in the southeast corner. Close but no cigar.
I was going to say much the same kind of thing about Hannibal.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote