ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #76
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
You can never go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
*Sigh* I miss the miles leading up too, and after that bridge. Now it might as well be interstate. Damn Avenue of the Saints I don't think they'll ever tear down that old bridge, but the town certainly seems to be hanging on it.

St. Francisville has fallen on hard times. There were some interesting old log buildings still standing there 10 years ago but I think they are gone now. I've taken many a trip on old US 61 and US 218 before the damn avenue was built. There are still interesting parts of the old hwy, but not for our route.

I agree that we should not make iron butt or iba part of the name. Riding high mileage is not what we are about, but this ride covers a lot of ground. If we try to make it a 4 day ride that will be too many miles per day for some guys, but if we make it a week long event we may have even more people who can't participate because they can't take that much time off.

For now we can keep adding to the waypoint list. Ft. de Chartes is an interesting site in Illinois. I watched the peloton come through in Washington, MO back when they had the cross Missouri bicycle race. Some people just went to various places along the route in order to experience the event.

Perhaps we could do something similar. We could have designated campsites for each of the 4 nights. Some people may only have enough time to camp for one or two nights, or to ride part of the route. For example: Suppose the ride starts in Cape G. Instead of camping at Cape G. the first night some guys might wish to wait at one of the waypoints for the peloton of riders to come along. Various riders may join the peloton as the day progresses and others may drop off at historic sites along the way. Some guys may wish to skip the northeast corner and ride I-70 and I-29 direct to the northwest corner and then rejoin the peloton again. (I'd rather stick mys testicles in the drivechain than take I-70 when I don't have to)

Anyway... Just trying to think of a way to make this work. For some people who have only a single day and evening free riding part of the route could be an option.

Ft. De Chartes
Attached Images

RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #77
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 296
The Real SE MO Corner

It was in the high 50's today and I'm retired. (read that as I was tired yesterday and I'm tired again today). So I went down to the SE Corner of Missouri to see what was there.

This is the SE Corner of Missouri:

Well, that's not quite true. The true SE corner is up this muddy road and on top of the levee off in the distance:

The really neat S.E. Corner looks like this (as was pointed out by someone)

And, as indicated on the plaque, this was put there by the State of Arkansas. Notice the outline of the state of Arkansas.

The round trip to either of these locations from Cape Girardeau is 200+ miles. Soooo you do the math. Maybe Cape should be the SE Corner. If it hadn't been for John Walker the Bootheel of Missouri would have been in Arkansas anyway.

lfs225 screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 07:53 PM
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #78
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
On Second Thought...

I can't do an iron butt on my KLR, it's not designed for that, (neither am I!). I need a Wee-Strom!
I could tag along for a day or so when the ride comes up the Illinois side to bypass St. Louis but would probably return the next day. If I want to do any lengthy rides I think I'll go camping in the Shawnee Natl. Forest this spring.

Darren
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #79
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
RayAlazzurra
Perhaps we could do something similar. We could have designated campsites for each of the 4 nights. Some people may only have enough time to camp for one or two nights, or to ride part of the route.
Brillant Idea.
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #80
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
It was in the high 50's today and I'm retired. (read that as I was tired yesterday and I'm tired again today). So I went down to the SE Corner of Missouri to see what was there.

This is the SE Corner of Missouri:

Well, that's not quite true. The true SE corner is up this muddy road and on top of the levee off in the distance:
Love to see them Teneres out and about
I rode mine all day too.
Attached Images

eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #81
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487

Ok, It seems most of the rational people think this 4 corners and the adjoining states in 4 days to much. Some talked about making it a annual event. I don't want to change what M@gento had in mind if he wants to do it he's got my support and I would help lay out a route in my area and ride at least a couple days of it with the group.
But along those lines how bout this: Run a course from one corner to another stopping at all the cool landmarks, at a leisurely adventurous pace. Relaxed evening of comradery, motel or camp options. Do this on one weekend, then a different corner to corner the following year. It would take 4 years to complete (there's that annual part someone suggested) The average guy could travel to the start on Friday, and travel home on Sunday evening. Locals could plan the route in there area with all the cool stuff only locals know, landmarks, roads, restaurants, camps etc..... Well????????????
Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #82
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
Love to see them Teneres out and about
I rode mine all day too.
The more I ride mine the more I like it. Today was wonderful. 250 miles. Temp. just right.

Hey have any of you Tenere owners figured out how to put highway pegs on this animal. I have the GIVI crash bars and have put some pegs on but they are just too dang high and a little too close. I don't use them often but on long trips it sure helps to stretch those legs.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #83
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post

Hey have any of you Tenere owners figured out how to put highway pegs on this animal. I have the GIVI crash bars and have put some pegs on but they are just too dang high and a little too close. I don't use them often but on long trips it sure helps to stretch those legs.
Sorry for the hi-jack. I'll go over to the Tenere site and ask that question. I don't know what came over me.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #84
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Ok, It seems most of the rational people think this 4 corners and the adjoining states in 4 days to much. Some talked about making it a annual event. I don't want to change what M@gento had in mind if he wants to do it he's got my support and I would help lay out a route in my area and ride at least a couple days of it with the group.
But along those lines how bout this: Run a course from one corner to another stopping at all the cool landmarks, at a leisurely adventurous pace. Relaxed evening of comradery, motel or camp options. Do this on one weekend, then a different corner to corner the following year. It would take 4 years to complete (there's that annual part someone suggested) The average guy could travel to the start on Friday, and travel home on Sunday evening. Locals could plan the route in there area with all the cool stuff only locals know, landmarks, roads, restaurants, camps etc..... Well????????????
I'm up for whatever the group likes. Either way works for me. Either we do one weekend and see everything on one side of the state, changing each year, or go all the way around and pick different sites to see each year.
lfs, highjacking is highly encouraged on this thread. Please feel free.
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #85
lfs225
Can Am Rider

four corners ride

I just hope we develop this into something that others can enjoy. Whether it's now or in the future. I will do my part to lay out a route through the SE Corner. But, as pointed out, the Bootheel is borrrrring. Western Kansas is more interesting than the Bootheel.

But there are a few worthwhile sites and two or three restaurants worth stopping in to eat.

1. For you bridge fans......Hargrove Bridge is one. A pivot bridge over the Black River. Hand cranked (doesn't work now) to swing the bridge so barges full of lumber could make it to the Mississippi River. SE of Poplar Bluff.

2. A Karst Grotto.......ground water comes out as a small water fall, ponds then returns back into the earth. Applecreek. See below

3. Grave of the original Buster Brown, his wife and dog, Tige. Picture of BB and Tige are on the tombstone along with a small outline showing his true size. Hornersville.

4. Liberty Bell of the West located at the site of the original Capitol of Illinois. Which is West of the Mississippi. Kaskaskia

Restaurants:

1. Lamberts.......home of thrower rolls. Sikeston

2. Pork Steak heaven at Strawberry's in Holcomb and Jay's in Marble Hill.

There are ferries across the Mississippi River. 1) Hickman/Dorena 2) Columbus/Belmont 3) Ste. Genevieve and I understand there are three right around St. Louis.

And north of Cape Girardeau, miles and miles of curvy blacktop roads with little or no traffic.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #86
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,236
The Karst Grotto is worthwhile.

The roads in the bootheel are boring. However the area is fascinating with lots of lot of history. Here are a few examples:

New Madrid, MO site of a massive earthquake
Hunter Dawson House built in 1860.
Big Oak Tree State Park. Shows what the landscape looked like before the swamp was drained
Civil War Battle Island #10
Towosahgy Historic Site. Indian mounds

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #87
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
Southwest corner

Finally MoDot has done something I like instead of destroying old bridges and straightening twisty roads:

http://www.modot.org/historicmaps/index.htm

MoDot has historic maps going back to 1918. The 1927 map shows Splitlog, but the town is left off of the 1928 map. The original route of US 71 was south from Anderson through Lanagan and Noel. This is close to the route of present day hwy 59, but in places it is a side road named Kingshighway.

If there was a southwest corner monument it might have been south of Noel, MO along present day 59.

Here is a bridge near Anderson, MO in the southwest corner.
Attached Images

RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #88
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra View Post
Finally MoDot has done something I like instead of destroying old bridges and straightening twisty roads:

http://www.modot.org/historicmaps/index.htm

MoDot has historic maps going back to 1918.
Ray........Thanks for the link to old Missouri maps. Like most of us on this site, I love maps. And old maps are even better.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #89
jgrooms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Great link! Thanks!!!! Also, you can find old road maps on eBay pretty cheap. I find then a great help using the WPA guide books.
jgrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #90
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,150
I did a similar ride around Nebraska last year. I called it four corners and a curve. Four days of rain and cold with similar mileage to a ride around the borders of Missouri. Wouldn't trade it for anything. A week definitely would have been more fun to allow time for exploring.

I'm going to watch this thread and try to arrange vacation time so I can ride along. Need to explore the state I'll be moving to in three or four years.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote