ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #91
jgrooms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I did a similar ride around Nebraska last year. I called it four corners and a curve. Four days of rain and cold with similar mileage to a ride around the borders of Missouri. Wouldn't trade it for anything. A week definitely would have been more fun to allow time for exploring.

I'm going to watch this thread and try to arrange vacation time so I can ride along. Need to explore the state I'll be moving to in three or four years.
Map or route? How many miles was it. I'm from Valentine.
jgrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #92
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,195
I don't have a map but I'll see if I can figure out how to map it out online. Interestingly enough, about the only sunshine I rode in was from Harriman to just past Valentine.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #93
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
Camp Crowder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
Ray........Thanks for the link to old Missouri maps. Like most of us on this site, I love maps. And old maps are even better.

Here is another old map link

http://historicroadmaps.com/MapList.html

I like to find roads that used to be highways and are now little gravel roads. You never know what you'll find.

Is there anything left of Camp Crowder? This is an abandonned WWII base in southwest, mo. There may be some old roads and buildings, or it may not be accessible.
RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #94
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra View Post
Here is another old map link

http://historicroadmaps.com/MapList.html

I like to find roads that used to be highways and are now little gravel roads. You never know what you'll find.

Is there anything left of Camp Crowder? This is an abandonned WWII base in southwest, mo. There may be some old roads and buildings, or it may not be accessible.
I have lived in SE Missouri since 1950 and the only Crowder I know about is a very small farming community northwest of Sikeston. I was not aware of a WWII base there. Sikeston had an airbase and there was a prisoner-of-war camp down around Kennett. But I have friends that live and farm around Crowder so I will ask them and let you know.

Thanks for the second link. We think alike when it comes to old roads.

I have threatened to take a series of black and white pictures of all the old wagon roads throughout the Ozarks. And old farm houses and barns. All of these are gradually disappearing. Like the old bridges. I was going to call my collection of photos "Old Ways and Forgotten Dreams". But, I just haven't done it yet. Maybe if I had help from a group of like minded motorcyclist. Hmmmm.

lfs225 screwed with this post 01-08-2012 at 06:17 PM
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #95
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Some of the many good roads in SE Missouri

At each intersection I had to make a decision. Which way. Good roads abound. But this is what I came up with. Starting at a good place to eat. Bixby, Mo.

So if this Four Corners Ride becomes a reality, here is how you can get to my house for first night camping.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Four Corners ride.GPX (435.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #96
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra View Post

Camp Crowder is south of Neosho, MO. Some of the area has been developed into an industrial park. There is Crowdwer Community College on the grounds and some of area is now Fort Crowder Conservation Area. http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/...txtAreaID=6510 There are old road and foundations throughout the area.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #97
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
Camp Crowder is south of Neosho, MO. Some of the area has been developed into an industrial park. There is Crowdwer Community College on the grounds and some of area is now Fort Crowder Conservation Area. http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/...txtAreaID=6510 There are old road and foundations throughout the area.
Part of the old WWII Camp Crowder is now a Missouri National Guard training site. It's right next to the college just outside of Neosho. A lot of MOGUARD units go there for training and especially for weapons qualification. It has a great range.
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #98
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

ugh nevermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto View Post
Part of the old WWII Camp Crowder is now a Missouri National Guard training site. A lot of MOGUARD units go there for training and especially for weapons qualification. It has a great range.
Mag
Let's leave whatever remains of Camp Crowder off of the list of sites to explore. I like a great range as much as the next guy, but not when I'm the target.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #99
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto View Post
Part of the old WWII Camp Crowder is now a Missouri National Guard training site. It's right next to the college just outside of Neosho. A lot of MOGUARD units go there for training and especially for weapons qualification. It has a great range.
Mag

Back in the late 80's, there were only a few bulidings left onsite, but miles of old foundation blocks and concrete steps.

The MO guard uses it to train troops for deployment, now, so there has been some new building.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #100
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Bump

Let's bump this thread back up to keep it alive. I'm still planning on doing this. I'll make the first three days, but I won't make it back to the SE corner on the 4th day. I'll be down to the starting point Thursday night and make it all the way to the SW corner by Sunday night (at least that is the plan).
After giving this a lot of thought, I think we should plan the route out for 4 days and guys can jump in when they can and jump out when they want to, either to see a site or whatever. My goal is still to hit all 4 corners and the 8 surrounding states. My best estimates are about 400 miles per day.
I think we'll just keep it very informal for the first year and see what happens.
Everyone is welcome on any size bike you have. Let's just go have some fun doing what all of us love to do.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #101
lfs225
Can Am Rider

over night accommodations

I can understand needing to do this in three days. If you work you just can't be gone any more. The offer of my house for camping still stands. Although there are plenty of good campgrounds, with facilities, in the area.

Trying to hit four corner in three days, plus get from home to the first corner sounds like an IRON BUTT ride to me. And I'm past marathon riding.

I had hoped that riders near each of the four corners would chime in and tell us what there is to see in their area. Ray gave us a great bridge in the SW corner. Ajayhawkfan offered sites nears the NW corner. We do have the arch over the highway in SE MO. But, alas, the other corners did not happen.

I WOULD appreciate a riders report from anyone that does the ride. And pictures.

lfs225 screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 07:39 AM
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #102
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Four Corners Sort Of...

I have been working on a long way round ride to get to the BMWMOA rally in Sedalia this summer. It just did not seem normal to ride 150 miles from STL to the rally when others will be coming from thousands of miles away.

I cooked up a ride that visits the cities, towns and widening in the roads in Missouri which are named after European capitals. Three of the corners are taken care of with Athens, New Madrid and the long since abandoned town of London in the northwest corner of the state. In the southwest you can come as close as Springfield. Leaving STL, visiting all these places and arriving at Sedalia will put me close to 1700 miles. I can't say I have spent much time in the northwestern and far northeastern parts of the state, so this will be an experience.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #103
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

All four corners covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
I can understand needing to do this in three days. If you work you just can't be gone any more. The offer of my house for camping still stands. Although there are plenty of good campgrounds, with facilities, in the area.

Trying to hit four corner in three days, plus get from home to the first corner sounds like an IRON BUTT ride to me. And I'm past marathon riding.

I had hoped that riders near each of the four corners would chime in and tell us what there is to see in their area. Ray gave us a great bridge in the SW corner. Ajayhawkfan offered sites nears the NW corner. We do have the arch over the highway in SE MO. But, alas, the other corners did not happen.

I WOULD appreciate a riders report from anyone that does the ride. And pictures.
We also had the Athens battleground in the NE corner. We have no shortage of stuff to see, but we have a severe shortage of time to see it. I'm planning on doing at least part of this ride. I'll bring the streetbike with the wide comfy seat. I think we are at the point where we need to upload some route plans. I'm stuck in frozen northern Iowa so I've got time in the evening. I'll try and upload a .GPX file or two tomorow. As usual anyone can and should critique, improve or outright reject any route suggestion that I upload. I think we can make this happen. Motels instead of camping may be my choice since we will be getting in late every night.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #104
lfs225
Can Am Rider

gpx files for the ride.

I have a good gpx file out of Cape going north. But the site is shut down to attachments right now. Perhaps it will open up later.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #105
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

You guys still up for this. I know it's right before Swinging Bridges, but I'm still planning on it.
Mag