Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 08:01 AM   #46
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
what I think we have here is a case of country club envy combine that with golf bigotry, no skills of the game and you have your typical anti-golf snobbery

which in a nut shell, cries out, he cannot hit a ball further than 50 yards. and has never spent any time at all at a course.

generally, it's a trait that is passed down from one generation to another.
Golf courses make wonderful motocross parks.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #47
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,684
Gotta admit I don't much care for the kind of player who thinks a tee time is an excuse to knock back some brewskies, suck on a cigar and bullshit with his buddies.

No question, golf has its fair share of 300 pound lardasses.

But if you enjoy spending time outdoors, golf is a mentally and physically challenging endeavor. Mentally challenging because it takes a lot of discipline to overcome the constant challenge of failing, and to make wise strategy decisions. The weak give up (and I've given up before.) The strong keep coming back because they refuse to let themselves be defeated. No-one, no-one at all, has ever felt like they had the game beaten.

It's physically challenging not in the puff-puff, run 26 miles kind of way, but in the need for hand-eye coordination, in repeatable motions, and in the touch required for a variety of shots.

It's a real shame most courses don't let you walk anymore. Walking 18 holes is a fabulous way to spend an afternoon. You get to spend 4-5 hours outdoors, often in a beautiful setting.

The yuppie thing is the prejudice of ignoramuses who's never spent any time at municipal golf courses around the country. Those are the courses where I've played most of my rounds. They're packed most of the time, usually a long-ish wait to get on.

And the players are mostly blue collar, often older folks on a fixed income, plus young kids. They'd laugh at the notion that they're priviliged. They're hacking around on threadbare fairways and beaten up greens, using old gear.

Why? Because it's a fun and challenging game.

So there.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #48
Dick
Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer: 31,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
You get to spend 4-5 hours outdoors, often in a beautiful setting.
I was with you until right here 4 or 5 hours? - that is one of the biggest problems with the game. With a cart me aand a friend play 9 holes in about 50 minutes if there is no one in front of us. (I prefer to walk and can walk 9 in a little over an hour) Actually that may be one of the reasons I am not playing now is that I don't have 6 hours to do what should take 4 hours at most. I think the brewski drinking cigar smoking people have taken over and the game has slowed to a crawl.

Sometimes I just want to shout "Your playing for 25 cents a hole and you knocked that same three footer past the cup by two feet on the last four holes. DO us all a favor give yourself the extra foot and pick it up."

I love golf and will one day return to playing it because I will beat my father before I die. If you don't like golf don't play.

Now I need to tune is Masters Radio and listen to todays events while I do battle in the office.
Originally Posted by turkish
Einstein knew more about physics than the Pope knows about God.
Save some bux - use my Smugmug referral code: mIRMxjzAScHII
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #49
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,684
Well, yeah, you're right, a round does take faaar too long.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #50
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Gotta admit I don't much care for the kind of player who thinks a tee time is an excuse to knock back some brewskies, suck on a cigar and bullshit with his buddies.

No question, golf has its fair share of 300 pound lardasses.
We're in agreement so far.

Quote:
But if you enjoy spending time outdoors, golf is a mentally and physically challenging endeavor. Mentally challenging because it takes a lot of discipline to overcome the constant challenge of failing, and to make wise strategy decisions. The weak give up (and I've given up before.) The strong keep coming back because they refuse to let themselves be defeated. No-one, no-one at all, has ever felt like they had the game beaten.
So it's like fishing, with more assholes.

Quote:
It's physically challenging not in the puff-puff, run 26 miles kind of way, but in the need for hand-eye coordination, in repeatable motions, and in the touch required for a variety of shots.
So it's like pool, with more assholes.

Quote:
It's a real shame most courses don't let you walk anymore. Walking 18 holes is a fabulous way to spend an afternoon. You get to spend 4-5 hours outdoors, often in a beautiful setting.
Wait a minute. They DON'T LET YOU WALK, yet the handicapped guy that wanted to use a cart got bounced from a tournament?

Quote:
The yuppie thing is the prejudice of ignoramuses who's never spent any time at municipal golf courses around the country. Those are the courses where I've played most of my rounds. They're packed most of the time, usually a long-ish wait to get on.
Packed with every middle manager and sales person that convinced his boss that you had to play golf to get deals made.

I worked at a company that annually had what was laughably called a "business golf outing" with clients. At 11:00 in the morning, this place was jammed chock-a-block full of douchebags that were on the clock, supposedly working.

Ironically, if I had suggested to my then boss that you could make the same deals shooting pool, I'd have been out on my ass.

Quote:
And the players are mostly blue collar, often older folks on a fixed income, plus young kids. They'd laugh at the notion that they're priviliged. They're hacking around on threadbare fairways and beaten up greens, using old gear.
Yeah, golf's known the world around for its egalitarian nature. .

Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #51
Dick
Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer: 31,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaFitz

Wait a minute. They DON'T LET YOU WALK, yet the handicapped guy that wanted to use a cart got bounced from a tournament?

Packed with every middle manager and sales person that convinced his boss that you had to play golf to get deals made.

I worked at a company that annually had what was laughably called a "business golf outing" with clients. At 11:00 in the morning, this place was jammed chock-a-block full of douchebags that were on the clock, supposedly working.

Ironically, if I had suggested to my then boss that you could make the same deals shooting pool, I'd have been out on my ass.

Now ur just
Originally Posted by turkish
Einstein knew more about physics than the Pope knows about God.
Save some bux - use my Smugmug referral code: mIRMxjzAScHII
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM   #52
rtrider
Lost

Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:

Obviously you're not a big fan. You try it once and get a club stuck up yer butt?
I'm not interested in turning all men into super sensitive, politically correct and gender neutral pansies. They're men for jeebus sakes. If I wanted to live in a gender neutral world, I'd vote for getting everyone, men and women alike, fixed. - Wings
rtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #53
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrider
Obviously you're not a big fan. You try it once and get a club stuck up yer butt?
Nope. Just had my fill of golfers.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #54
rtrider
Lost

Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:
Nope. Just had my fill of golfers.
Ah.

Thought you might have been a caddy once or something:
Seen a few pics of you in Augusta National caddy garb:

I'm not interested in turning all men into super sensitive, politically correct and gender neutral pansies. They're men for jeebus sakes. If I wanted to live in a gender neutral world, I'd vote for getting everyone, men and women alike, fixed. - Wings
rtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #55
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,346
It’s a fun game if you don’t get too serious about it. If you do get too serious about it it’ll drive you NUTS!

My wife and I went for a walk on a golf course (Half Moon Bay Ocean Course CA- Nice!). Which allowed me to see just how shitty most golfers are. So knowing that they spent $150 to play a game they suck at made my sucking and only spending $30 or $40 more tolerable.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #56
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 56,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
It’s a fun game if you don’t get too serious about it. If you do get too serious about it it’ll drive you NUTS!

My wife and I went for a walk on a golf course (Half Moon Bay Ocean Course CA- Nice!). Which allowed me to see just how shitty most golfers are. So knowing that they spent $150 to play a game they suck at made my sucking and only spending $30 or $40 more tolerable.

I used to be a certifiable golf nut. Got as low as a 6 hdcp. Might be the only guy who ever moved to Dago and then gave up golf in spite of the fact my office overlooked the 10th fairway of Torrey Pines South.

Got enamored with motorcycles and basically quit cold turkey. I really do appreciate the game and the unbelieveable skill of the pros (men & women) but not tempted at all.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #57
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
I used to caddy for my dad; later I learned to play myself. But it just never caught on.

I really think the only thing more boring than playing golf is watching other people play it on TV.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #58
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,025
Opening day at my local course. Played 2 rounds with Bart's father-in-law. Lost both rounds by a stroke each. Went 163 for the total.

But there's a catch. 2 holes were closed due to snow.

And there's another catch. It's a par 3.

Never got into it thinking I'd get good at it. For my knees, it's good exercise, or so the doc tells me.

If I rode like I golfed, I'd still be looking for where the key goes.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #59
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Got enamored with motorcycles and basically quit cold turkey.
Bert - Does that mean you sold your clubs or are they sitting in a corner of your garage, waiting?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #60
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Bert - Does that mean you sold your clubs or are they sitting in a corner of your garage, waiting?
Golfers are like drunks-Once you are one you'll always be one.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: