Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #31
chaddhamilton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post

That was run on Castrol 20-50 dino oil the whole way. It IS fitted with a Lockhart oil cooler. Did you notice the logo stamped on the crankshaft? That is a big reason why it lasted so long. That, and my buddy rides it gently, rather than a hammer.

Do you care to explain a little more about the crankshaft on that bike?
chaddhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #32
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddhamilton View Post
Do you care to explain a little more about the crankshaft on that bike?
Precision balanced at Lindskog Balancing, back in 1980 http://lindskog.com/automotive-balancing.php
Old 06-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #33
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
She Runs Again

Had a hell of a time diagnosing a bad fuse holder but once that was replaced she started right up and runs fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2q5...ature=youtu.be
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #34
bagpiper22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Great thread. Thanks. I'm about to open the case on my 76 Bonnie, and I'm getting all the input I can before I do it. Primary drive and clutch is off, gearbox cover off, etc.

Quick question: there were differing opinions, but no clear answer: was there a case bolt behind the inner cover, or were you able to split the cases with transmission in place? Like you, I'm trying to get the crank out, while disturbing as little else as possible.

I'm also having a time with the pinion gear. I've read you can heat the case in an oven then remove the crank with pinion and main bearing in place. Is that what you did? I'll probably get the proper tool, but if there's something I can try in the meantime that won't hurt the engine, why not?

Lastly, I love the T140 pedestrian slicer license on the front fender in the video. Where did you get that?

Thanks again for the post, and everybody's replies.

Scott
bagpiper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #35
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper22 View Post
Great thread. Thanks. I'm about to open the case on my 76 Bonnie, and I'm getting all the input I can before I do it. Primary drive and clutch is off, gearbox cover off, etc.

Quick question: there were differing opinions, but no clear answer: was there a case bolt behind the inner cover, or were you able to split the cases with transmission in place? Like you, I'm trying to get the crank out, while disturbing as little else as possible.

I'm also having a time with the pinion gear. I've read you can heat the case in an oven then remove the crank with pinion and main bearing in place. Is that what you did? I'll probably get the proper tool, but if there's something I can try in the meantime that won't hurt the engine, why not?

Lastly, I love the T140 pedestrian slicer license on the front fender in the video. Where did you get that?

Thanks again for the post, and everybody's replies.

Scott
Quite sure you'll need to remove the transmission. You DO have a workshop manual on hand, right? Be careful that you truly understand the timing gears alignment, marking. MANY eff ups over the years! It's more complex than it first appears!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #36
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

I did remove the transmission assembly but I could have removed the inner cover, removed the two bolts holding the case together and re installed the inner cover. Putting the transmission gears back was a challenge but in the end worked out ok. The other thing I learned was I did not need a crank pinion gear puller, I removed the crank and used a press, I spent a bundle on a pinion puller that did not do the job and was junk. A repair manual will be needed but you can find online copies. Hidden bolts???? hmm let me see how good my memory is.... lifter bolts inside the crank case, front stud used for the exhaust brackets, a screw is kind of hidden that hold the inner transmission cover......I may be missing something.
I picked up the pedestrian slicer back in '88, always gave her that special look.
After 25 years I sold the Triumph, tools, and manuals this last summer, great bike just was time to move on.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #37
bagpiper22
Adventurer

Yes...shop manual and exploded parts diagrams on hand. I'm not planning on removing the intake and exhaust timing gears. Just the center gear which slides right off. Everything else seems intact there. I'll be sure to line up the timing marks when I reassemble.

My goal is the sludge trap. This bike only has 7000 miles, but sat for 30 years, so whatever is in there is hard as a rock.

Once I get the engine back together, I can start in on the rest of the bike.

So if I have to remove the transmission outer cover, can I get to the case bolt without disturbing the transmission too much?

Thanks!

bagpiper22 screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 07:29 PM
Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #38
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes...shop manual and exploded parts diagrams on hand. I'm not planning on removing the intake and exhaust timing gears. Just the center gear which sludes right off. Everything else seems intact there. I'll be sure to line up the timing marks when I reassemble.

My goal is the sludge trap. This bike only has 7000 miles, but sat for 30 years, so whatever is in there is hard as a rock.

Once I get the engine back together, I can start in on the rest of the bike.

So if I have to remove the transmission outer cover, can I get to the case bolt without disturbing the transmission too much?

Thanks!
I would also leave the cams and gears alone, replace the rod bearings and check the main bearings close but they should be good. Sludge trap is pretty easy to clean but I would order a new cap bolt for it as you may mess up the current one getting it off.
Set the engine on its left side remove the outer shifter and kick start cover (your case a kick start cover) then mark the shifter selector on the inner cover in its current position so it goes back the same. The inner cover has a phillips screw located towards the back and I believe 2 bolts on the front. Be careful and tap the cover loose so the gears don't move around and watch for a shim that may stick to the inner cover.
Once the inner cover is off you will see a large bolt and a large nut, those are what needs to be removed to split the case. No hidden bolts inside the transmission housing itself. Hope this made sense and I'm going from memory.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #39
bagpiper22
Adventurer

Sounds good. I got the inner cover off easily enough and removed the nut there (top right).

I put the cover back on for now, so I can split the cases without a hundred gears falling out. Once I have the case back together with a nice clean crank, I'll go back and remove the old gasket material and replace the case nut.

Sound about right?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #40
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds good. I got the inner cover off easily enough and removed the nut there (top right). Sound about right?

And remove the bottom bolt below it. If the gears come out its not the end of the world, just a few gray hairs.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #41
bagpiper22
Adventurer

Success! Left side is off. Not bad at all.

Now I need to get the crank out. Pinion gear is still attached (no puller yet) so I'll pull the pinion with main bearing out of the case, then deal with it.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #42
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Success! Left side is off. Not bad at all.

Now I need to get the crank out. Pinion gear is still attached (no puller yet) so I'll pull the pinion with main bearing out of the case, then deal with it.
Looking good, my sludge trap was not that bad but I felt better knowing it was clean.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #43
bagpiper22
Adventurer

I'm the same way about the trap. I don't expect much in there, but since I had the engine apart for new rings anyway, I figured I might as well put it back together all nice and clean.

I got the bike last year after it sat for 30 years in a closet of the local high school auto class. It will be a blast to hear it run. Maybe by spring...

Thanks for all you help!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #44
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm the same way about the trap. I don't expect much in there, but since I had the engine apart for new rings anyway, I figured I might as well put it back together all nice and clean.

I got the bike last year after it sat for 30 years in a closet of the local high school auto class. It will be a blast to hear it run. Maybe by spring...

Thanks for all you help!

Curious to hear how bad the trap is. Your bike looks great, I really miss having a Triumph and hope to find another one someday, maybe a 500 twin.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #45
bagpiper22
Adventurer

I'll let you know what I find. I had to leave it half-opened for now. I did what I could to remove the pinion gear, but didn't want to force it, so the proper tool is on the way. Should arrive this week.

I moved too fast and didn't mark my shifter before pulling the inner cover, so now I'll learn all about indexing. fun fun!

I hope to get at the trap this weekend. Will post results.

Thanks!

Scott