Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
ham_bone OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question tiger 800 vs. 800xc purchase dilemma...

hello all,

here's the deal i'm struggling with... which would you choose?:

option one:

$9000, 2012, Triumph Tiger 800, ABS and Triumph hard cases, new tires. 6100 Miles on the odometer (was ridden from pacific northwest to alaska and back as the rider's original tiger was being repaired by dealer).

option two:

$8900, 2011 Triumph Tiger 800xc, new tires, (no hard cases or ABS), 4800 miles on the odometer (was a press demo).

both bikes are quite appealing... i like the spokes on the XC and i like the ABS on the other. will mostly ride on the road, but like the option to hit the dirt with wheels and suspension of XC.

are these even good deals at all?

thanks for any feedback. i'm a noob.

ham_bone
ham_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
They both sound like fairly decent deals so that shouldn't sway you either way and the 100 difference in price should make no difference. As for asking people on the Internet a broad question such as you have, most answers will be of the smart ass variety is my guess. If you want advice you need to ask specific questions really. You post a generic question and the answers will be the same. Bottom line is really only you can decide which fits your needs best. I would go ride the, both and see what you think then.
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
ham_bone OP
n00b

thanks, motard_menace. good points.

i guess i'm looking for comments about the 800 vs. the 800xc and if they are both about the same price, should i go with an xc without ABS or the 800 with (though i hope this doesn't turn into an ABS debate)?

i also wonder if folks would have any reservations buying a press demo or a warranty loaner. i wonder if they aren't broken in to spec, and/or over ridden during the break in period...?

and... they seem like good deals, as the 800 would retail for $12,195 (new, otd) and the XC would retail for $11595 (new, otd). but, i don't know what sort of deals others are finding.

anyhow...

ham_bone

ham_bone screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 09:05 PM
Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I guess it depends on what type of riding you want to do. If you are doing more offroad then go for the XC. One thing to keep in mind is if you are buying a press demo bike then chances are it was not ridden as gently and may not have followed the Triumph recommended break in period
Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I would get the XC with ABS. (Oops, that wasn't one of the options). I had a hard time deciding between the two on just specs. I rode both bikes several times. I just like the way the XC handles a little better - probably the better suspension. It also has pretty much unlimited cornering clearance - you will not scrape anything no matter how insane you corner the thing the roadie would be easier to scrape.

I like the 21" front - it is like riding a dirt bike on the street. It also gives you a huge choice of offroad front tires to choose from. I find myself squaring off corners and just pointing the front tire where I want to go and gassing it. It is a blast! I would like tubeless tires, but you can't have everything. I like the looks of the spoke rims better and they are surprisingly easy to keep clean.

I really like the ABS also - when I am riding in crap conditions, I don't have to worry about locking the front. I have had it kick in a couple of times when I have been over-exhuberant. It is well worth the $800 extra.

My advice - hold out for an XC with ABS. I predict there will be a few people upgrading to the new 1200 explorer this spring, so be patient and you will probably get a good deal on a used one.

motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Could be hard to prove either way, but I doubt an ex-press bike will have been run in properly. It will have been worked hard. May be an issue if you plan on owning it for a long time.
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post
hello all,

here's the deal i'm struggling with... which would you choose?:

option one:

$9000, 2012, Triumph Tiger 800, ABS and Triumph hard cases, new tires. 6100 Miles on the odometer (was ridden from pacific northwest to alaska and back as the rider's original tiger was being repaired by dealer).

option two:

$8900, 2011 Triumph Tiger 800xc, new tires, (no hard cases or ABS), 4800 miles on the odometer (was a press demo).

both bikes are quite appealing... i like the spokes on the XC and i like the ABS on the other. will mostly ride on the road, but like the option to hit the dirt with wheels and suspension of XC.

are these even good deals at all?

thanks for any feedback. i'm a noob.

ham_bone
If you are a "noob", these bikes are both high dollar bikes to be starting out with.
I have no personal experience with either of these bikes but, I personally would lean towards the Triumph.
If you not doing much off road, also consider a Suzuki wee strom. Great bike, cheap to buy and own and if your new to riding, a great entry into the adventure touring segment.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
I agree with motosickle2000. Get an XC with ABS; just find a used deal elsewhere. The XC is a more versatile bike, and is still awesome on the street despite the greater dirt focus over the regular 800. ABS is in my opinion a nice safety feature to have, but you're better off getting aftermarket luggage than the Triumph hard cases.

Also, I would avoid an ex-press-demo bike like the plague. Motojournalists are hard on the bikes they test. A regular used bike will almost certainly have been treated much better than a former press bike.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Clair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Good prices for both, you can't go wrong with either choice I think.

That being said. the dealer bike most likely was ridden hard from the outset and not broken in according to specs. Now there are two sides to that, one says follow the Manufactureres recommendations and another side that says screw that ride it like you mean it. So, it may not hurt anything in the long run. I'd probably get it serviced just to be prudent.

I own an '11 XC, and I'm also short (5'8 and 30" inseam). I looked at both the 800 and 800XC and went back and forth. I preferred the look of the XC but I preferred cast rims of the 800. Never been a fanof tubed tires lol. I did like the better suspension and bigger tires of the XC. I also opted for the ABS 800XC as I figured if I'm spending this kind of money why not! I do believe you should have good braking habits so as to not need ABS but it's nice to have.

If you're in a hurry to get one, flip a coin. If you are going to do mostly street riding with occassional dirt the 800 ABS might be a good choice. Me, I'd keep looking for an 800 XC ABS model but I'm kinda biased.

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2001 Honda ST1100
Clair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,244
Xc
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
ham_bone OP
n00b

hello all,

thanks so much for the feedback. it's been helpful to get other perspectives... the current plan is to hold out for an ABS-XC. i'll keep my eye on these and if i get desperate, maybe i'll toss a coin. i think i can stall a bit, as it's winter here with ice on the ground. nobody is riding and i doubt many folks are shopping either.

i am sold on the triumphs at least. i've been wrenching on and riding a '76 R75/6 and would love another boxer beemer. but, i've become skeptical of the build quality in recent years (from my research it seems as though the 650GSs are essentially chinese made now). not that i have any issue with asian bikes, i just think the price should reflect this mass production and it doesn't seem like it does. heck... for all i know the triumphs are also outsourced to asia.

anyhow, thanks again. if a tiger does appear in my garage in the near future, i'll post a report and photos.

ham_bone
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
Tough one! I would go for the roadie BUT after riding the two I couldnt help but notice the difference in suspension quality. Its there and although I would probably never venture off road, that together w/ the better ground clearence and looks makes the XC a clear winner. (Now, if they only uprated the roadie's suspension then maybe ....)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,870
If you are going to ride mostly on the road then I would go for the 800. Numerous reviews says its pavement manners are significantly better than the XC. Why give up performance where you will use it most, for performance you will use only occasionally.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 617
Of those 2 I would go for the ABS equipped roadie, it handles better. I went for the roadie, I never go off road, don't like tube tyres, easy choice. And if you find out I you don't like the somewhat harsh suspension, it is easy to fix.
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #15
MOOSEBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
In a perfect world.....

Idealy you would have an XC with 0 miles and ABS and all the gear.

This being the real world, choose the lesser of two evils. That press demo bike was most likely whipped like a rented mule. I remenber how I rode the demo bike.

The ABS does come in handy especially when things get dicey.

On last thing, the cast rims do not prevent offroad riding, check some of the Tiger 800 threads for pics.

I say with the given variables I'd have the road bike.

Moose
MOOSEBOY is offline   Reply With Quote