User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
high dangler OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
stand up ?

Lets have a discussion about riding standing up.
Im all into learning new tricks but this riding standing up sure feels odd to me and when im doing it i cant help thinking,.. whats the point?
Im not knocking it.. I know some off you are very good at it and make it look so easy and natural. . It bugs me when i dont understand something.
Id like to discuss the pros and cons .
Im a long time street rider ,mostly sportbikes ,very little dirt background.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
I only stand up in 3 instances.

One: I just fkn wanna.
Two: I have an uncomfortable wrinkle in my pants and want to get it out.
Three: My ass is asleep.

And all three are illegal. But I'm currently working with the senate oversight committee and we're gonna put it to a by-partisan next year, IF we get all the feasibility studies out of the way, and we get enough votes.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,135
makes farting easier!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
makes farting easier!

no, that's a one-cheeker shifter often mistaken for "setting up" for the next turn.

Perfectly legal.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
makes farting easier!
And it's a darn good way to stretch the leg and rump muscles.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
paranoiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I think standing up, is one way to avoid putting extreme pressure on the shocks, if you are going over a sudden road hazard, and you have no time to maneuver past it. Like a pothole or a big bump.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,905
Standing up. --> Quite effective in shaking the infrequent tailgater.
(Ain't bad off-road either.)
AMA-262640
ride2little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
I have found my hips (hip) hurts less when I am off pavement & my knees (knee) on the other side of the natural hip, will absorb the road bumps. Standing allows the bike to dance a bit under me while my body actually moves less. This way the little corrections that take place w/ my mostly forward moe (momentum) do so w/o my jerking around & messing up an otherwise smooth looking ride over the poor guy who just fell while sitting down.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Once again, common sense prevails here. Going over really rough stuff, rock's, fallen tree trunk's, water crossing's, ditche's, just to mention few, you're better off standing on the peg's. Some ds bikes' are really well suited for standing, all can be altered by handle bar riser's, lowering the peg's. Standing on the peg's is an essential skill if you are to do any amount of dirt riding. I am a 'sitting down' rider, most of the time, that's the way i learned it, long time ago. The 'center of gravity' thing, i wont go into, as it's another counter-thingy debate
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
high dangler OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoiz View Post
I think standing up, is one way to avoid putting extreme pressure on the shocks, if you are going over a sudden road hazard, and you have no time to maneuver past it. Like a pothole or a big bump.
agree ! bent legs become part of suspension. .A lot easier on the bike and rider.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,135
primary reason for standing up, on pavement that is, is to stretch!..secondary, to see further ahead..op's querry is vague as it does not alude to on road vs off road..most answers given so far are for off road..but try standing up on a cruiser with fwd controls!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Standing up. --> Quite effective in shaking the infrequent tailgater.
(Ain't bad off-road either.)

This is a good one. While I don't have lots of experience with it, the guys on the SMJ say the exact same thing.

It temporarily blinds and stuns an otherwise thoughtless and clueless species of; the drone cage driver, into thinking "WTF is that? He's going to kill somebody! I better slow down and get off his ass... For if and when he crashes, he might sue me!?"
Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,783
Hot weather summer riding standing is a good way to air out the boys, essential on long trips. And of course cool off in general.

Letting the blood flow is also good, I have a good seat, but still.

My 55 year old knees need to stand at times.

Then there are road conditions that warrant it, ranging from rough spots, seeing over traffic, road construction with gravel, etc.

Your weight on the foot pegs is an essential control, best accomplished standing.

Then there is that farting issue.Not Sharts, just farts, I hope I have a few more years before that trust a fart issue arises.. Still, you do not want that gas trapped.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
Lets have a discussion about riding standing up.
Im all into learning new tricks but this riding standing up sure feels odd to me and when im doing it i cant help thinking,.. whats the point?
Im not knocking it.. I know some off you are very good at it and make it look so easy and natural. . It bugs me when i dont understand something.
Id like to discuss the pros and cons .
Im a long time street rider ,mostly sportbikes ,very little dirt background.
are you talking about on road or off?

on paved roads, other than going over bumps, i don't see much point in it...except for stretching or just having fun.

off road, it decouples your weight from the bike...so you can let the bike jump around under you as it finds it's way through ruts, over rocks, slide around in mud, etc. and still maintain your balance/keep the bike upright.

if you are seated over the rough stuff, and your body goes with the bike instead of acting to counterbalance it, you won't be able to stay upright as long or while moving as fast.

standing also makes it easier to move your weight back and forth as conditions dictate. it also makes it easier to turn the bike by weighting the footpegs instead of having to use the handle bars as much. (before anyone even starts, yes, that does work on dirt bikes.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
it also makes it easier to turn the bike by weighting the footpegs instead of having to use the handle bars as much.
This. I find it really relaxing to cruise along on small logging roads standing and steering the bike with pegs, and just enjoying how bike reacts to even smallest amount weight transfer.
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote