Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #61
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post

My BMW K75 does not have ABS, although it was an option when new. There is no light, a place for one, or any other indication that would even suggest that it has.....
The amber light under the "M" in the MPH and left of the low fuel gauge should be the ABS bulb, do you have that outline?

....I just looked at my Harley gauges, I knew I didn't have ABS, but the icon is there next to the 8,000 in the tachometer.

bomber1965 screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 05:26 PM
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #62
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
If i was told the bike had abs,i would have tested it first day.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #63
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
I usually hate silly, excessively litigious suits about nothing, but I actually agree with this one, at least partly.

Imagine that guy was your friend, and had you take the bike out for a spin. It is not unreasonable to see the ABS cutout, and assume that there is an ABS system installed, and that the light isn't on because the system is functioning. Some clown pulls out in front of you, and being a well trained ADV rider, you react as trained: If it has abs brakes, pull hard, press hard, and hold on. Unfortunately, you lose traction, and crash. If you had known that it lacked ABS brakes, you would have done proper threshold braking, as you were also trained to do.

I think it is irresponsible to leave ambiguity in this regard. Maybe not $10 million irresponsible, but irresponsible nonetheless. My BMW K75 does not have ABS, although it was an option when new. There is no light, a place for one, or any other indication that would even suggest that it has anything besides the wooden and lockable, but excellent brakes that it has.
Why wouldn't you do the part I highlighted ALL THE TIME in case the system was not working properly and the error wasn't being shown? (with an ABS equipped bike) Imagine that fucking surprise..
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #64
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
The amber light under the "M" in the MPH and left of the low fuel gauge should be the ABS bulb, do you have that outline?

....I just looked at my Harley gauges, I knew I didn't have ABS, but the icon is there next to the 8,000 in the tachometer.

That's the 7L fuel warning light on the early K bikes. It doesn't Say "ABS" is my point. Its just a light.

My bike doesn't have the bulb for that one, although it does have the bulb for the choke light.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #65
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
I want in on this lawsuit!
My 2008 Harley had ABS and it didnt protect me when I hit a truck! Complete waste of ABS. I never even hit the brakes. Shouldn't it have turned on automatically when it knew i was going to crash?

There is no way this guy thought he had ABS... the rear engages really early on the big bikes and you know something good isn't happening.

Still, is there time to jump in on his lawsuit? I don't want $10m, I just want 2...
Old 12-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #66
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
A Sacramento Superior Court jury today exonerated Harley-Davidson in a lawsuit filed by a woman who suffered severe brain damage in a 2009 wreck on Highway 99.
Plaintiff Judy Wilson had charged in her suit that the motorcycle her husband crashed while she was riding on the back had a defective design because of an icon on its tachometer that made him think the bike had anti-lock brakes when it didn't.
Wilson also charged that a salesman for Harley-Davidson of Sacramento told her the motorcycle had an anti-locking braking system.
The company argued that the design was not defective and that it's been selling motorcycle with the "ABS" icon for years without incident. The dealership denied that its salesman ever told Wilson the bike had the anti-lock braking system
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #67
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Done

Well, that's over. Close the thread.

Still sad to see any rider or passenger hurt. Could have been me...
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #68
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Well, that's over. Close the thread.
You would think so, but just wait.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #69
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,097
It
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
You would think so, but just wait.
heck yeah! Now the *real* fun begins!

M
Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #70
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
I just love how so many people keep ignoring this:

“On ABS equipped models, the amber ABS indicator lamp begins to flash at key ON to indicate that the system is operational. It continues to flash until motorcycle speed exceeds 3 mph (5 k km/h). Continuous illumination of the lamp will only occur when ABS detects that the system is malfunctioning. In diagnostic mode, the lamp will also illuminate to indicate the presence of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). See a Harley-Davidson dealer for service.”

I'm retired so I have nothing better to do anyway.

Added do you really see an ABS Icon, you might see the six gear indicator and cruise control indicator. I bet if it wasn't a Harley we wouldn't have so much bashing.

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g

EricD10563 screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 09:12 PM
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #71
HoratioLegrande
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Unfortunately in todays society it is up to the manufacturer to predict any possible ignorance or stupidity on the part of it's products users and design it's products so that they are idiot proof. If they can't make it idiot roof they need to at least put a bunch of ridiculous warning stickers all over it.

What is wrong with expecting a $15,000 motorcycle to be designed in such a way so that the instrument panel isn't confusing?
HoratioLegrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #72
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoratioLegrande View Post
What is wrong with expecting a $15,000 motorcycle to be designed in such a way so that the instrument panel isn't confusing?
If your confused by an HD instrument panel I recommend a bicycle, I don't even have a Tach.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #73
HoratioLegrande
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
If your confused by an HD instrument panel I recommend a bicycle, I don't even have a Tach.
I am not confused by a HD instrument panel, but apparently some people are. I guess I might be though if I ever rode a Harley. Some people new to motorcycling, like me, might not be the experts that others here are. I am not excusing someone not knowing what they are doing. Just saying there are two sides to this,. One could have known better, the other could had made a instrument panel that was less ambiguous. Right?
HoratioLegrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #74
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoratioLegrande View Post
I am not confused by a HD instrument panel, but apparently some people are. I guess I might be though if I ever rode a Harley. Some people new to motorcycling, like me, might not be the experts that others here are. I am not excusing someone not knowing what they are doing. Just saying there are two sides to this,. One could have known better, the other could had made a instrument panel that was less ambiguous. Right?
The owners manual is your friend:

“On ABS equipped models, the amber ABS indicator lamp begins to flash at key ON to indicate that the system is operational. It continues to flash until motorcycle speed exceeds 3 mph (5 k km/h). Continuous illumination of the lamp will only occur when ABS detects that the system is malfunctioning. In diagnostic mode, the lamp will also illuminate to indicate the presence of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). See a Harley-Davidson dealer for service.”

No ABS no flashing lights
Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #75
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
A Sacramento Superior Court jury today exonerated Harley-Davidson in a lawsuit filed by a woman who suffered severe brain damage in a 2009 wreck on Highway 99.
Plaintiff Judy Wilson had charged in her suit that the motorcycle her husband crashed while she was riding on the back had a defective design because of an icon on its tachometer that made him think the bike had anti-lock brakes when it didn't.
Wilson also charged that a salesman for Harley-Davidson of Sacramento told her the motorcycle had an anti-locking braking system.
The company argued that the design was not defective and that it's been selling motorcycle with the "ABS" icon for years without incident. The dealership denied that its salesman ever told Wilson the bike had the anti-lock braking system