Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #106
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I think it's disgraceful, both as a tactic to stay out of the news and as a comment that they were concerned a jury would find them in the wrong.

Having gone to trial, there's precedent that the design is sound. Had they settled pre-trial, the door would remain open for another lawsuit by some other f'idiot that couldn't be bothered to learn traffic management.
I think HD would benefit from a different, better legal team.
It pisses me off that litigation in this country is so F'ed up that companies are more or less forced(monetarily) to try to pay off money grubbing assholes just to avoid a trial and bigger payoffs even when they can present a good argument in the case.
I wonder how much this cost HD to defend?...Better go get your Harley now before they go up more in price as a result of the money wasted on this BS lawsuit.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #107
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
The 900k was actually nothing too:

"He said his client turned down a pretrial settlement offer of $900,000, an amount that would have left her with next to nothing after a medical lien, experts' costs and his own fees were deducted."
Now she has -$900,000, medical bills, experts testimony and misc. costs. She should sue her ex for endangering her life. Maybe she could sue her "experts" since they didn't do her any good.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #108
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:

"He said his client turned down a pretrial settlement offer of $900,000, an amount that would have left her with next to nothing after a medical lien, experts' costs and his own fees were deducted."

I'm sure her LAWYER told her to turn it down because he could get her millions. Now she's got nothing....
Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #109
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Now she has -$900,000, medical bills, experts testimony and misc. costs.

Can't get blood out of a turnip.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #110
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:

"Next to nothing after some bills" is a lot more than "Nothing at all before any existing bills" but I guess it's too late for them to understand that.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #111
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:

On a positive note. The lawyers probably didn't get anything since they lost the case

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #112
Wrench1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sorry for him but stupid does not count

I feel sorry for the fellow and his wife.
However we do not live in bubbles where we have no responsibilities.
When you buy a new bike you get an owners manual. READ IT.
It would have been obvious at that time that the bike did not have ABS
Also do not expect technology to save your A**
When I buy a new bike I PRACTICE with it to make sure I know how hard I an break on different surfaces.
If he was riding the highway why was he following so closely that he had to break that hard t lock up the rear brake and
effectively lock it, Very poor riding technique
We are and should be responsible for our actions and not pointing fingers to try to get someone else to pay
for our stupidity.
It is about time that people stand up and say I screded up my fault and quit hiding behind lawyers.
Wrench1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #113
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Having gone to trial, there's precedent that the design is sound. Had they settled pre-trial, the door would remain open for another lawsuit by some other f'idiot that couldn't be bothered to learn traffic management.
Doesn't really work like that. You can be sued 100 times for the same thing, even if you win the first 99 there is little to stop the 100th. The upside to trial is not paying anything if you win but the "precedent" is of neglishable value. Going to trial and losing would mean they would set a precedent that meant something.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #114
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Two questions: assuming the rider is telling the truth and really was told the bike had ABS, would he have bought something else if he knew it didn't have ABS? Secondly, would he have done anything differently on a non-ABS bike? Given that grabbing brakes is a reflex reaction, I suspect the answer is "no."
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #115
HoratioLegrande
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Also, if you assume he told the truth about the salesman telling him he had ABS, what do those who are arguing about lack of personal responsibility think the salesman's responsibilities are?

Maybe he is an idiot, but maybe he is an idiot who was lied to. Who knows. Good thing there is a legal system to figure out such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
Two questions: assuming the rider is telling the truth and really was told the bike had ABS, would he have bought something else if he knew it didn't have ABS? Secondly, would he have done anything differently on a non-ABS bike? Given that grabbing brakes is a reflex reaction, I suspect the answer is "no."
HoratioLegrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #116
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Can't get blood out of a turnip.

Funny, isn't the woman with brain damage the vegetable now?

That seems like some kind of kharmic Jack Webb reference there, LarryBoy.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #117
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,054
This is the USA where you can sue anyone for anything.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #118
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoratioLegrande View Post
Also, if you assume he told the truth about the salesman telling him he had ABS, what do those who are arguing about lack of personal responsibility think the salesman's responsibilities are?

Maybe he is an idiot, but maybe he is an idiot who was lied to. Who knows. Good thing there is a legal system to figure out such things.
That's something you confirm the day you pick up the bike, not 15 months later after a wreck.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #119
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
Secondly, would he have done anything differently on a non-ABS bike? Given that grabbing brakes is a reflex reaction, I suspect the answer is "no."
we need to train away that reflex reaction. this guy apparently did not.

assuming he is not full of crap about thinking the bike had ABS, he may have decided he did not need to train away that reflex reaction because the ABS would allow him to just grab the brake and the ABS would take care of actually braking correctly for him.

if he didn't think he had ABS, he may have actually trained away that reflex reaction...though i also doubt it.

in any case, it seems he is an idiot. he is either an idiot for thinking he didn't have to learn to brake properly because the bike had ABS, or he is an idiot for thinking he didn't have to learn to brake properly even though the bike did not have ABS.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #120
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
we need to train away that reflex reaction. this guy apparently did not.

assuming he is not full of crap about thinking the bike had ABS, he may have decided he did not need to train away that reflex reaction because the ABS would allow him to just grab the brake and the ABS would take care of actually braking correctly for him.

if he didn't think he had ABS, he may have actually trained away that reflex reaction...though i also doubt it.

in any case, it seems he is an idiot. he is either an idiot for thinking he didn't have to learn to brake properly because the bike had ABS, or he is an idiot for thinking he didn't have to learn to brake properly even though the bike did not have ABS.
A large percentage of the riders out there don't know how to properly use their brakes with the most common mistake being over use of the rear brake and under use of the front brake. Why do you thing so many bikes come with linked brakes?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote