User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Si Vis Pacem OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
XJ750 Seca? Dual Sport?

So I have an 83 Seca 750 that runs great, stops like crap and the front end is all washed out.

I was thinking about selling it and paying down my DL1000 I just bought, but wouldn't mind trying to dual sport out this bike.

Does anyone know of an XJ either Seca or Maxim that has been dual-sported at all? I have a feeling that the front end is going to be the biggest issue. I read that it has super long forks for most bikes. But it has the 19" wheel already and nice 18" wheel in the back. Since the motor is so smooth, I figure off roading on it would not be so bad.

Or...call me crazy and just sell the stupid thing.
Si Vis Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
I've thought of doing the same, then I sobered up.

A fork brace on the front end will be a big help, Biggest problem I see is weight and the inability to change final drive ratios due to the shaft drive. Both of which will compromise its ability off road. Not make it impossible, but I hope you don't have delusions of 990 ADV performance with this bike.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Si Vis Pacem OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I've thought of doing the same, then I sobered up.

A fork brace on the front end will be a big help, Biggest problem I see is weight and the inability to change final drive ratios due to the shaft drive. Both of which will compromise its ability off road. Not make it impossible, but I hope you don't have delusions of 990 ADV performance with this
bike.
Ha! No delusions at all. Since I haven't even ridden a dirt bike, I don't know what good offroad performance is like in the first place let alone a KTM.

Right...probably a fruitless endeavor. Besides, I don't have the cash for the project anyway.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Ironic thing is that your XJ750 is exactly what I would like to use for a cafe project. Were you not on the wrong coast, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands for ya.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Please don't do that... it's NOT the right tool for the job. I've got a similar bike, and although it will do unpavement if you have to, it's not any fun. Just because you can doesn't mean that it's a good idea. Seca wheels are extremely heavy, and no matter what you do the suspension, you'll still get beat up and have traction issues at both ends. I ride a lot of unpaved roads when it's dry, but unless they're smooth, chasing the front end gets old real fast.

I rode south to Highway 1 on Usal Road a few years ago. Dry, near-perfect conditions.

I'm glad that I did it, but the next time it'll be on something far more dirt-worthy.

You can go a lot of places when it's dry on your Seca with good street tires and a decently behaving stock bike, but if you want something that's a true D/S bike, you need something a decade newer and 50 # lighter.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Si Vis Pacem OP
Adventurer

Thanks gentlemen. I figured it was a dumb idea. I do have to say that I love this Seca. It is a great little bike. Starts with ZERO issue at all and just keeps chugging!

I will likely sell it to someone else who can invest time into it either bringing it back to great condition or actually cafe it. Lots of folks like doing that to these bikes.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
Glad you found your way out of that delusional episode. I just saw a photo of a '94 Kawasaki Concours dual sport, Fugly. The owner thinks it is the sh1t,
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote