Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
I like the installing of the running shoe sole into the tire,with a tube, and getting home.
Very well done.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,382
Low quality crap MAY have a place in SOME instances... but motorcycle tires ISN'T one of them.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
The 009 Ravens have always been great tires for me.I have used them on my Uly, the XB12 and Just put some on my SV 650 and when the Sportster needs tires its going to get Shinko's. It might be that the 705 is just a bad tire design

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
I have put quite a few miles on the radial Shinko's without any issues but I guess there is always a possibility that a failure will occur. I am happy that the OP survived this incident without any harm to himself!! The bias ply Shinko's were a disaster and I had a failure on the rear tire as well, but the radials served me well on a lot of mainly dirt trips...
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #20
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 466
Have never heard anything good about them. Not the right place to save a few bucks.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #21
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,543
I have run through two rear 705's Radials w/no quality issues. I guess I was lucky.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #22
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

Oddometer: 181
Just a quick question for the OP...

How did you go about breaking the tires in? I've heard that many of the problems stem from folks who install the tires on heavy bikes, and then promptly ride cross country without heat cycling the tires a few times. I've been running the Shinko 244s on my XR for a bit, and haven't had any issues whatsoever. The 244 is another tire with reporting chunking issues. That said, I am a light rider, and the bike is also rather light, especially in comparison to something like a significantly heavier BMW.

It seems like a lot of their off road / dual sport tires are only an issue on heavier fully loaded bikes. I'm curious as to whether this failure follows that trend or not.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #23
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1150gsadv View Post
I have put quite a few miles on the radial Shinko's without any issues but I guess there is always a possibility that a failure will occur. I am happy that the OP survived this incident without any harm to himself!! The bias ply Shinko's were a disaster and I had a failure on the rear tire as well, but the radials served me well on a lot of mainly dirt trips...
It has become impossible of ADV to have a discussion about the radial 705 without someone talking about the bias ply 705 as if they were the same tire. A lot of inmates do not seem to realize that they ARE different ties, made differently, which makes sensible discussion about the radial 705 almost impossible.

The OP said this was a radial 705, that IS sigificant, I run radial 705's on my GS and love them. I'd welcome a sensible discussion about the radial 705 and the fact that the OP had a failure like this one does indeed concern me (btw: I've had significant failures with a TKC80 and a Dunlop 606 in the past....so.....I don't consider this to be a 'penny pinching' issue, it's more a quality control one...and Shinko isn't the only guilty manufacturer in that department).

Just for the record you'd be hard pushed to even 'find' a 150/70-R17 Shinko in the old Bias Ply version, the US distributor told me they stopped manufacturing them 18 months ago.

S1
Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,507
and that blows.

Id buy a few more at for the $46 or so that I paid for one initially.

the non-radial version served me just fine, and was cheap as heck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
Just for the record you'd be hard pushed to even 'find' a 150/70-R17 Shinko in the old Bias Ply version, the US distributor told me they stopped manufacturing them 18 months ago.

S1

Happy Holidays DrLewall !
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
stretch160
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
never had a problem with shinkos, but I did have a metzler delaminate a few years back
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #26
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
I have run through two rear 705's Radials w/no quality issues. I guess I was lucky.
I've ran at least 12-15 of them {at least 6 of which where on the rear my DL} on different bikes with no issues. I'm generally not the lucky type though.

I will say that I've had two {out of at least 10} Shinko 244s shed the center knobs.

Not discounting other's issues, I've just never had one and if I did, no biggie as I've had name brand tires chunk before.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #27
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
and that blows.

Id buy a few more at for the $46 or so that I paid for one initially.

the non-radial version served me just fine, and was cheap as heck.

Once again, lucky I reckon because like you I never had issues with even the bias ply and I ran a couple, three of them.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
While not common, tread separation has been reported frequently for Shinko tires.

Jamie
and Dunlops, and probably many many others
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #29
fridgyis
Fridgy

Oddometer: 49
shinko tires

My wife and I did a 8000 mile trip last year on two bikes. ( KLR 650 & 950 KTM ) Both bikes ran Shinko's because frankly they were cheap. I had to replace the rear on the 950 at about 5000 miles because I am harder on the gas. The front tires look like they could do another 8000 no problem. I suspect that there was more too this or you got a bad tire. I am very happy with these tires and would buy another set for sure.

However I comend you for the on road repair! Very good job!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #30
AluminumMike OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Just a quick question for the OP...

How did you go about breaking the tires in? I've heard that many of the problems stem from folks who install the tires on heavy bikes, and then promptly ride cross country without heat cycling the tires a few times. I've been running the Shinko 244s on my XR for a bit, and haven't had any issues whatsoever. The 244 is another tire with reporting chunking issues. That said, I am a light rider, and the bike is also rather light, especially in comparison to something like a significantly heavier BMW.

It seems like a lot of their off road / dual sport tires are only an issue on heavier fully loaded bikes. I'm curious as to whether this failure follows that trend or not.
I'd say I had about 500 miles on them of pretty easy town riding and a couple of unloaded journeys of (guessing) 60 - 70 miles. They were definitely gently broken in. The heat cycling is a new term for me and would love to know more about that.
AluminumMike is offline   Reply With Quote